Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Deserved win undoubtedly. Very nice to see 4 goals chalked up, something we need to do more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good stuff lads.

Good to hear a positive performance today.

Now the question will be "have we peaked too early";):pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good stuff lads.

Hopefully it will be September before I can answer that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Good stuff lads.

No we haven't peaked. I was at the game and we have a long way to go before peaking. Cork were flattered to be 3 goals up at half time. Down were pathetic in the second half.

Still, you can only play what is in front of you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Good stuff lads.

No we haven't peaked. I was at the game and we have a long way to go before peaking. Cork were flattered to be 3 goals up at half time. Down were pathetic in the second half.

Still, you can only play what is in front of you...

Good win by Cork. Every game is different every week. I think Cork can still improve throughout the year hopefully it will happen gradually as weeks go on.

• Advertisement

what was the attendance today does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

anyone know the best way to watch GAA abroad? im in toronto, no sport showing up on the RTE player, i really want to see the game last week and the game against Down. checked Setenta Ireland which I have access to on Flashsportstreams.tv but no Cork games...

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    anyone know the best way to watch GAA abroad? im in toronto, no sport showing up on the RTE player, i really want to see the game last week and the game against Down. checked Setenta Ireland which I have access to on Flashsportstreams.tv but no Cork games...

There are a few highlights on youtube I think of the armagh game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

what was the attendance today does anybody know?

2k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    There are a few highlights on youtube I think of the armagh game.

cheers, ill have a look, usually there isnt much up to date GAA on youtube!

EDIT: some excellent highlights on youtube and not many views! hopefully there will be some highlights of the Down game in the morning.

• Advertisement

Cork/Down match report - http://corkgaa.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/cork-4-11-down-0-10-national-football-league/

Also, please follow me on Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/CorkGAABlog

And subscribe at http://corkgaa.wordpress.com/

Thanks as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

This may be of interest to some of ye. I was in Easons on Patrick st. the other day and they had "Cork's Hurling Story" by Tim Horgan reduced to three euro. I haven't had a chance to open it yet so don't know how good it is but it is a fine book for less than the price of a pint.

SeaFields wrote: »
    This may be of interest to some of ye. I was in Easons on Patrick st. the other day and they had "Cork's Hurling Story" by Tim Horgan reduced to three euro. I haven't had a chance to open it yet so don't know how good it is but it is a fine book for less than the price of a pint.

Paid full price for it for my father:( but he said it was a good read:) I'll read it myself at some stage.

1. Donal Og Cusack
    Cloyne

2. Brian Murphy 2. Stephen McDonnell 4. Shane O'Neill
    Bride Rovers Glen Rovers Bishopstown

5. John Gardiner 6. Ross Cashman 7. William Egan
    Na Piarsaigh Kilbrittain Kilbrin

8. Sean Óg Ó hAilpín 9. Darren Sweetnam
    Na Piarsaigh Dohenys

10. Conor Lehane 11. Pa Cronin 12. Cathal Naughton
    Midleton Bishopstown Newtownshandrum

13. Patrick Horgan 14. Paudie O'Sullivan 15. Ben O'Connor
    Glen Rovers Cloyne Newtownshandrum

Subs:
    16. Martin Coleman (Ballinhassig)
    17. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    18. Damien Cahalane (St. Finbarr's)
    19. Michael O'Sullivan (Tracton)
    20. Tom Kenny (Grenagh
    21. Lorcan McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    22. Luke O'Farrell (Midleton)
    23. Brian Corry (Ballymartle)
    24. Conor O'Sullivan (Sarsfields)
    25. Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    26. Jamie Coughlan (Newtownshandrum)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Sean Og midfield, seriously thats bizzare if he lines up there, I seen him playing against Tipp a few weeks back in the semi final of the Waterford Crystal, did fine when facing the ball and in 50/50 situations but when lads ran at him or he got turned he was all at sea.

In midfield he will get horribly overran and will be like a rabbit in the headlights, it just seems a bizaare positioning for him at this stage of he's career, unless the plan is to drop back one of the 6 forwards as a 3rd midfielder and let Sean og play as the loose man, but tbh If JBM was pplanning on doing that surely Gardner would be a better bet he's distribution is and always has been miles ahead of Sean Ogs

Don't really care about Sean Og midfield, he won't be playing there come champ and I doubt he would be there on Saturday if the two McCarthys were fit. He'll provide a nice counter weight to the inexperienced Sweetnam and give plenty for 45 plus minutes. In saying that McLoughlin should be starting midfield, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Sweetnam playing, hopefully he'll stick with Cork Hurling long term.

More worrying is that Cronin isn't at midfield, Brian Corry isn't starting and that Ben is starting. Don't know why Corry isn't playing but hopefully the other two selections are again based on the two McCarthys and Bill Cooper being out injured. Luke O'Farrell should be starting instead of Ben, it isn't as if Luke is even playing Fitz.

Cashman deserves a crack although I don't think he has the class for a center back. Joyce is probably a better option but is very slow like all of our other half-backs. McDonnell is a place holder for Cadogan who is injured. Defense in general is fine.

Regarding the bench, good to see Dillon and Murphy, correct choices. Nagle is borderline but whatever. No reason to have two goalies on the bench whatsoever. Hopefully the likes of Drake, White and Harnedy will be involved post-Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Orizio wrote: »
    Hopefully the likes of Drake, White and Harnedy will be involved post-Fitz.

Was just going to ask about Drake, anytime I have seen this guy which addmitedly is only about half a dozen times I have been extremely impressed I think he is the real deal and could be a major player for Cork's revival.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

I actually hope Sean Og does really well, i never thought he was past it, fit as a fiddle that fella, im glad he got a call back, its a pity for us poor ppl with only the bog channels that only Setanta are showing it on the tv :(

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Any update on score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

harry21 wrote: »
    Any update on score?

Final score: Cork 3-17 Waterford 0-18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Lehane... pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Lehane was class act tonight, very skilful hurler. sean og didnt do anything tonight and to be fair Waterford were poor enough also. Stevie Mc did well at full back Pa Cronin looked good at No 11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Lehane was outstanding. Some amount of skill in some of his points tonight.

Overall a solid performance in the first half, second half we were poor but the game was won so no real indicator.

Biggest crowd I have seen down pairc ui rinn ever.

Super crowd tonight. A very important win. Lehane will get the plaudits....and deservedly so. Looking forward to the league now, wasn't sure before the game but now I think Cork will be fairly competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Good result for the hurlers. At least JBM will get the best out of his players. I expect Cork to be a force in hurling again with this man in charge.

Early days, but great to see a performance like that tonight and also the crowd.

Up the Rebels!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I've rated Lehane for a while now, and it's great to see him get involved and play so well. Good result, albeit against a poor understrength Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

I watched the highlights of the last night's game on RTE this evening. A great win for Cork but what the most satisfying thing about their win for me was JBM has the team back playing traditional hurling and not this slow short passing game Cork were playing under Denis Walsh. A long year ahead yet but a good promising start by the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Have to say I was impressed with Cork on Saturday night. First of all, I think JBM has them back playing proper traditional hurling, unlike the rubbish Denis Walsh wanted them to play. I really think Cork are going to have a good year. I know it's early days but after watching the match from Saturday I think they will make a big push for Munster. I wouldn't expect them to be as competitive In the all ireland as kilkenny or tipp, but I think if JBM stays in charge for the foreseeable future then we will see them make a further push. Another thing thats vital in a team is a healthy blend of youth and experience, I think Cork have exactly that. With super, experienced hurlers like Donal óg, Ben O'connor, John Gardiner, Sean óg, and then youthful players like Conor Lehane and Pat Horgan, and Sweetnam is only a good thing. I think Sean Og being back in the panel is a huge bonus, he is a superb athlete for an amateur, and the fact he is very strong and fit and competitive is only good because there great traits to have in a player. I would like to see the rebels make a big push for Munster this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement