Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Fencing

• 27-09-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Firstly - appologies if this is in the wrong area - please feel free to move this to somewhere more appropriate.

I've just purchased a house on 4 acres of land, all around the perimeter of the acres is barbed wire fencing - I have a few dogs and I want to secure the property so they cannot wander elsewhere and also so they cannot crash into the barbed wire and hurt themselves.

The fence posts/poles in the ground seem a bit old but still sturdy enough so I won't need to replace those. I cannot take the barbed wire down because technically its on the other side of the stone wall, hence belongs to the farmer who's land that is - so I just would like to put up my own fencing on my side of things so my animals cannot get hurt or get between the strands of barbed wire.

Can anyone recommend what type of fencing I should be looking for? And also where I could get cheap fencing materials from? I was looking in local B&Q's/Woodies, etc and I've estimated the amount that I'll need from them would cost me about 4000euro. Not really what I had in mind! Is this the average cost for fencing in 4 acres? Or am I just looking in the wrong places completely? Surely there must be some type of farm supply store where farmers can get vast amounts of fencing cheaper than B&Q/Woodies are selling it at!

Any suggestions around the Roscommon or Westmeath areas would especially be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for any information and suggestions possible!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Firstly - appologies if this is in the wrong area - please feel free to move this to somewhere more appropriate.

I've just purchased a house on 4 acres of land, all around the perimeter of the acres is barbed wire fencing - I have a few dogs and I want to secure the property so they cannot wander elsewhere and also so they cannot crash into the barbed wire and hurt themselves.

The fence posts/poles in the ground seem a bit old but still sturdy enough so I won't need to replace those. I cannot take the barbed wire down because technically its on the other side of the stone wall, hence belongs to the farmer who's land that is - so I just would like to put up my own fencing on my side of things so my animals cannot get hurt or get between the strands of barbed wire.

Can anyone recommend what type of fencing I should be looking for? And also where I could get cheap fencing materials from? I was looking in local B&Q's/Woodies, etc and I've estimated the amount that I'll need from them would cost me about 4000euro. Not really what I had in mind! Is this the average cost for fencing in 4 acres? Or am I just looking in the wrong places completely? Surely there must be some type of farm supply store where farmers can get vast amounts of fencing cheaper than B&Q/Woodies are selling it at!

Any suggestions around the Roscommon or Westmeath areas would especially be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for any information and suggestions possible!!

A few suggestions

Rule Number One: Buy nothing in B&Q/Woodies if you are working on any scale - they are aimed at people buying very small amounts of things and willing to pay a big premium. Go to your local farm store.

Re your dogs - there will be no cheap way to fence 4 acres with a physical fence, and the design & size will depend on the breed. 4 acres is probably also excessive, especially if they are walked regularly

Why not consider a radio fence? e.g. http://www.petsafe.ie/magento/index.php/electric-containment/standard-super-radio-fence/super-radio-fence.html

I am sure others have more experience in fencing for dogs.

You will also need to remember that when fencing dogs onto your property in a rural area, failure is not an option - especially if there are sheep around, so it worth spending a few quid to get a decent enclosure.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

LostCovey wrote: »
    A few suggestions

Rule Number One: Buy nothing in B&Q/Woodies if you are working on any scale - they are aimed at people buying very small amounts of things and willing to pay a big premium. Go to your local farm store.

Re your dogs - there will be no cheap way to fence 4 acres with a physical fence, and the design & size will depend on the breed. 4 acres is probably also excessive, especially if they are walked regularly

Why not consider a radio fence? e.g. http://www.petsafe.ie/magento/index.php/electric-containment/standard-super-radio-fence/super-radio-fence.html

I am sure others have more experience in fencing for dogs.

You will also need to remember that when fencing dogs onto your property in a rural area, failure is not an option - especially if there are sheep around, so it worth spending a few quid to get a decent enclosure.

LC

Wasn't planning on giving B&Q, etc my custom - just happened to be in there for other items and got looking at the fencing and worked it out.

I really know my situation best and felt I explained it really clearly. I do not want a radio fence as that will not work for my situation. I need to block off the barbed wire fence it goes all the way around the 4 acres so, yes, I do need to fence the whole 4 acres.

I don't know what types of fencing are available and at what prices - that's why I came here to ask a big group of people who may know what fence would be best to block my property from the barbed wire.

I've heard about sheep fencing (I think that's the type that comes in a grid type pattern with the holes being about fist sized) - something like that would be fine. I just have no idea where the best place to buy lots of fencing at low prices would be.

Again - any suggestions relevant to what I've explained would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

As Lostcovey said 4 acres of a run is completely unnecessary for 2 dogs and completely impractical to try and contain them effectively! The only option would be the radio controlled option as already recommended.

Another option would be to build or buy a big enclosure with a steel frame and mesh. Do the top also to ensure they cannot escape.

They can be walked on a lead daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Dogs will eventually nose through sheep wire . You are better off going for strong chicken wire and bury it a few inches in the ground so they cant dig under it . Dont know about the price but it wont be cheap for four acres .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What breed are the dogs?

Something the size of a collie will easily jump sheep wire if it's just the height of the wire. I'd be a bit wary of relying on it to contain dogs either way. You may need some type of tall chain link fencing, and that's going to be a lot of €.

If I was starting from a green field site I'd go with the enclosure option. But, being a farmer I exercise the dogs as a matter of course, if regular exercise is an option for you with work commitments etc then that's probably going to be the most cost effective option without being prohibitively expensive.

Sources for wiring would be builders providers, general merchants, farm merchants, co-ops.

• Advertisement

@Muckit

Please do not comment on the situation. If you cannot give the advice I asked for please refrain from commenting.

To dispel your "wisdom" I own 2 dogs but will be boarding many many dogs for owners and shelters - hence the radio fence is a completely impractical idea.
    As I stated many times previously - I need the WHOLE acreage fenced in. I don't really care about fencing them in - but I DO care about them crashing into the barbed wire and shredding themselves to pieces. That's why I need to block the barbed wire so they cannot reach to it and shred themselves.

I think what I'm asking is pretty basic - but I'll break it down a bit more

To anyone else reading this - forget about what I'm fencing in and why. I really shouldn't have even mentioned why I'm fencing things in and for what reasons because everyone is getting caught up in that and totally ignoring my REAL question.

So I'll make it far more simple. Forget my dogs, my life and what I am doing with the above.

What is the cheapest fencing you can buy and where are good places to get said fencing from around the Westmeath or Roscommon areas. I would travel further - but the closer to home the better!

Sorry for losing my patience with this - but really - its just a basic question I had asked - I didn't ask for judgements on my life and decisions - I just wanted some info about cheap fencing!!

Ok - seriously - forget my first post

Lets just try this!

What is the cheapest fencing you can buy and where are good places to get said fencing from around the Westmeath or Roscommon areas. I would travel further - but the closer to home the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

electric fence wire so ,stops most animals,they will get a belt off it once and wont go back, and you can buy it from your local co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

@Muckit

Please do not comment on the situation. If you cannot give the advice I asked for please refrain from commenting.

To dispel your "wisdom" I own 2 dogs but will be boarding many many dogs for owners and shelters - hence the radio fence is a completely impractical idea.
    As I stated many times previously - I need the WHOLE acreage fenced in. I don't really care about fencing them in - but I DO care about them crashing into the barbed wire and shredding themselves to pieces. That's why I need to block the barbed wire so they cannot reach to it and shred themselves.

I think what I'm asking is pretty basic - but I'll break it down a bit more

To anyone else reading this - forget about what I'm fencing in and why. I really shouldn't have even mentioned why I'm fencing things in and for what reasons because everyone is getting caught up in that and totally ignoring my REAL question.

So I'll make it far more simple. Forget my dogs, my life and what I am doing with the above.

Sorry for losing my patience with this - but really - its just a basic question I had asked - I didn't ask for judgements on my life and decisions - I just wanted some info about cheap fencing!!

Off topic, you wont get any good advice with an attitude like that

On topic, You can get sheep wire for cheap enough in any co-op, just google it. But if you dont have any experience fencing, it wont work, it will be a waste of time and money and could be fairly damgerous for the dogs. I found a dog hanging from sheep wire (small dog, jumped into it). Basically, like others have said, its not that suitable.

leg wax wrote: »
    electric fence wire so ,stops most animals,they will get a belt off it once and wont go back, and you can buy it from your local co-op.

There will also be children on the property - I can't see that being a good idea! And I don't think they'd take to wearing the electric collars that everyone else is suggesting either. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just want to block off the barbed wire is it really that impossible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]Kali_Kalika: It's the nature of internet discussion forums that threads meander away from their original subject. Getting cross and giving orders is not the way to win friends and influence people.

Everyone else: Pull in your horns.[/MOD]

It sounds like you're providing some sort of commercial service ("will be boarding many many dogs for owners and shelters")?

4 acres in a square would be approximately 140 meters on each side, totalling 560 meters or thereabouts.
    It should certainly be possible to dog-proof that sort of area, but it won't be cheap by any normal farm-fencing measure.

Have a look for professional fencing contractors in your area, or perhaps the Farm Relief Services (FRS).

[MOD] My apologies for how long it took to attend to this, the real world intervened. [MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD] Thread closed at OP request [/MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement