Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIII-2

• 03-02-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

This needs its own thread,

I can't afford to buy this today. which is sad, but not that sad.

Who's playing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Bought it today. I'll be playing it when I get home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Where is the cheapest place to get it, Im thinking of getting it in smyths

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's sitting at home while I'm here in work - If MGS HD arrived today, I don't know when I'll get to play FF.
    If no MGS then I'll play some FF tonight.
    ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest place to get it, Im thinking of getting it in smyths

E45 in HMV. E50 in smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

played through the start of the game and the framerate is really iffy in places, Im playing on the ps3 too which is supposed to have better performance than the 360 god help those on the m60 :(. Its a shame that the quality of Square has been reduced to this >.<

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Got the limited edition yesterday. Comes with a whole pile of fun shiny crap.
    The story seems quite unnecessary and sloppy but I think Noel is a fairly likeable character. Gamespot were quite critical of this compared to XIII. I think the point Edge made about the paradigms and only having 6 slots is bang on. I'll give it a bit longer before I make a proper opinion. Caius is meant to be a decent villain but I wish Lightning had featured a bit more.
    Unfortunately, it's competing with Dark Souls for my attention so that might be a while.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing only playing the demo!

While 6 slots for FFXIII made sense. it dosn't for FFXIII-2
    there are already limitations for players (i.e. you're stuck with Sarah and Noel, and 3 monsters)
    why have a limitations on limitations?

Paradigms in this should really be more like hot key-commands in strategy games; they really ought to put in the option to whichever one you need, within reason.

or in liu of that, have 6 paradigms, but you can switch freely between your three monsters separately. Not only 6 paradigms assignable, Only three monsters assignable from your stock, and one monster permanently assigned to one paradigm.

in XIII, setting paradigms before a fight was part of the fun, but in XIII-2, even in the demo it just feels like a silly thing to have to do considering where they went with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

@ ancapa.

ghghghghGHGHGHGHGHGHGghghghgh... Limited edition Shiny things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm really enjoying it, the gameplay is a lot better than XIII's with more of a focus on sidequests and exploration (no more empty corridor effect). I'm also finding the battles more fun, they seem less drawn out so far and being able to tweak the paradigm targetting and monster party adds some extra depth to it (plus the leader dying no longer means Game Over!)

I haven't noticed any framerate issues so far (on 360) and haven't felt too limited with 6 paradigms yet either - I have one set for random battles and one set for bosses. The plot isn't bad either, it's an interesting concept and Serah is growing on me despite being an odd choice of main character.

I definitely feel that they've addressed a lot of the problems with the first game anyway.

Having a chocobo on your party is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The reviews I've read seem to say the gameplay is better but the story and characters are poor. Given that the story and characters in 13 were a total let down this is very worrying. I'm a huge FF fan but 'my story' ends here until this series delivers on the pillars that once made it king.

I cannot believe that these games are scoring so highly although edge seems to have grown man parts these days. honesty isn't a characteristic were used to seeing in mainstream game reviews but without it whats the point.

FF has become the phantom menace. crammed to the gills with FX, wonder and pizzaze but lacking in basic compelling story telling that just leaves you empty and underwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,995 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Plenty of the older games have serious storytelling problems. Doesn't stop them from being fun, getting good reviews and selling.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

@ ancapa.

ghghghghGHGHGHGHGHGHGghghghgh... Limited edition Shiny things...

??

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Lantus wrote: »
    The reviews I've read seem to say the gameplay is better but the story and characters are poor. Given that the story and characters in 13 were a total let down this is very worrying. I'm a huge FF fan but 'my story' ends here until this series delivers on the pillars that once made it king.

I cannot believe that these games are scoring so highly although edge seems to have grown man parts these days. honesty isn't a characteristic were used to seeing in mainstream game reviews but without it whats the point.

FF has become the phantom menace. crammed to the gills with FX, wonder and pizzaze but lacking in basic compelling story telling that just leaves you empty and underwhelmed.

Actually most reviewers agree that Serah and Noel (especially Noel) are very good characters.

Edge gave FFX a 6, a game which is considered by the fanbase at large the second best FF game created so I wouldn't take Edge's word for anything. They also forced themselves to give Infamous 2 a low score as they 'predicted' the game was going to be bad and when it launched and amazed everyone Edge still went on to give it a six.

Also lots of games get great reviews with bad stories, even RPGs (for example Skyrim) so singling out FFXIII-2 story to be bad and then docking marks just for this game is a bit silly.

Ultimately the reviewers seem to be very concerned with pleasing the fanbase, when the fanbase is iffy about the game the review will be saying the game is so-so no matter how good the game is. If the fanbase is hyped for the game the review will say that the game excels at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

The 'Twilight' of JRPGs?

I'm about 14 hours into the game now and all I can say is it's distinctly underwhelming.

Gameplay: This was a lot of fun at first and I liked the tweaks as well as the paradigm system which I enjoyed a lot in FFXIII. But now, only about a third of the way into the game, (based on the destinations I've unlocked so far) I'm finding the shine has worn off. I'm playing at normal difficulty and the challenge isn't really there. In the last area, most of the fights I did little else apart from hitting X and then X again and I was getting five stars in every fight, no need to even change paradigms. I haven't really powerleveled or anything, just explored a couple of optional areas but my characters are already very overpowered.

On top of the that character development (in terms of gameplay) is useless too. Serah is already a level 96 ravager and a level 30+ something medic. There are no new skills to learn and no where really for the character to go apart from uping stats. Yes, I can unlock a few other roles and level them up but it's totally pointless since the game is already too easy. I don't know, maybe the next area will prove more challenging but I'm not holding out much hope.

Story: Also started out as promising but has quickly generated into a convoluted mess. It wasn't as bad as 13 at the first as I was actually enjoying the cutscenes but now I have reached the point where I'm just waiting for them to end and am getting very close to even skipping them the first time around if it wasn't for the fact that I might miss information that is required to clear the area (though I doubt that would be the case.)

Characters: This ties in to the above. Initially they seemed a lot better and mature. But they are back to being superficial and paper thin and I find the a lot of the dialogue really cheesy and puke worthy. Like I said, my patience with the cutscenes is wearing thin.

Bottom line 14 hours in and I'm bored and not sure I have the drive to bother finishing the game.

I've always been a fan of the FF series and the JRPgs. I think the people who talk about the stories being a mess in other games have it wrong. They weren't perfect, but the story in 7 felt very authentic to me and 10 had one of the best and most affecting stories I've seen in video games.

The problem with the story in 13-2 isn't that it's a mess it's that the whole thing, the story, the characters, the dialogue feel utterly phony, contrived and formulaic in the most obvious and superficial way. I have no attachment to any of the characters and I don't care what happens to them or if they win or lose.

Contrast this to Skyrim where I logged in almost 200 hours of gameplay on the ps3 and to me that says it all. And once upon a time I used to decry 'western,' RPGs. What a shame that FF has come to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Memnoch wrote: »
    Contrast this to Skyrim where I logged in almost 200 hours of gameplay on the ps3 and to me that says it all. And once upon a time I used to decry 'western,' RPGs. What a shame that FF has come to this.

Funnily enough as a big Elder Scrolls fan I would have described Skyrim in almost the exact same manner. Bored within 15 hours of the dull landscape and massively reduced lore.

I'm finding 13-2 to be quite good. The battle system is highly enjoyable albeit a bit too easy, however I don't think I have ever been truly challenged by a FF unless fighting super bosses. I'm still dubious about having monsters fighting for you though. I think Caius is one of the most interesting villains I've seen in a final fantasy for a long time. He actually seems somewhat relatable as opposed to the "I'm going to destroy the world simply because I'm not a very nice guy" that tend to make the usual FF antagonist.

I can't say that Serah and Noel are the most interesting of characters but then again looking back on it if Squall was any more brooding he'd have been easily mistaken for a character bron of Stephanie Meyer. Cloud was utterly void of all personality and the less said about Vaan or Tidus the better.

I'm not a fan of time travel plots because you can never make it make complete sense and this certainly doesn't manage it but I am enjoying the progresion, love seeing how your affections take effect in the alternate realities and I'm very intrigued with Caius' motivations.

It's not a perfect game by a long shot but it's highly enjoyabel and a very clear attempt to fix what the fans complained about in 13.

I don't get why people keep saying it's too easy. I've gotten Game Over a few times now and I'm stuck on Caius in Oerba at the moment. Really starting to enjoy it though.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Caius killed me the first time I fought him but a quick touch up of my paradigms sorted him out. I'd recommend having Med/Syn/Sen to give you a quick boost if he starts hitting hard.

Yeah your first fight with him is the first one you really have to think about how you've set up your paradigms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

The first time I had to look at my paradigms was when I took on the behemoth at night in the place with all the lamps. But that was because I had levelled Noel as a commando and ignored his sentinal tree.

I'm still dubious about having monsters fighting for you though.

I was too, until I started experimenting with Infusion to transfer skills which gets very addictive once you figure it out. Also, the Pokémon fan in me wants to "catch 'em all". I also spent over an hour this evening playing Chocobo racing and learning how to make my Chocobo faster. I'm really enjoying this game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Mario007 wrote: »
    Actually most reviewers agree that Serah and Noel (especially Noel) are very good characters.

Edge gave FFX a 6, a game which is considered by the fanbase at large the second best FF game created so I wouldn't take Edge's word for anything. They also forced themselves to give Infamous 2 a low score as they 'predicted' the game was going to be bad and when it launched and amazed everyone Edge still went on to give it a six.

Also lots of games get great reviews with bad stories, even RPGs (for example Skyrim) so singling out FFXIII-2 story to be bad and then docking marks just for this game is a bit silly.

Ultimately the reviewers seem to be very concerned with pleasing the fanbase, when the fanbase is iffy about the game the review will be saying the game is so-so no matter how good the game is. If the fanbase is hyped for the game the review will say that the game excels at everything.

totally agree about reviews and the forces that push and pull them in different directions. That was my point (I'm not saying that Edge was entirley right in this one case!) Just that they did produce a review that deviated from the norm.

X was a cracking game and the story was immense. I played the entire thing again last year and it was just as good (if not better) than the first time I played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Lantus wrote: »
    totally agree about reviews and the forces that push and pull them in different directions. That was my point (I'm not saying that Edge was entirley right in this one case!) Just that they did produce a review that deviated from the norm.

X was a cracking game and the story was immense. I played the entire thing again last year and it was just as good (if not better) than the first time I played it.

In this case, though, I would say that Edge did go with the whole 'no one asked for this, it's SE and FF that we all love to hate nowadays so let's give it a bad score'. To be honest the most honest review I've found on the game is at RPGSite (both the import and the localised version reviews actually tell you everything about the game, about every aspect of it as I know the person who did the import review actually 100% the game before she wrote the review).

I completely agree on X, it's my favourite in the series and I am so happy that we're getting a HD remaster for it soon. To me, X is the perfect Final Fantasy as it has an epic and yet simple story, a protagonist who actually develops during the game, a very nice love story (which I actually consider to be a staple of FF and am disappointed that XII and XIII, to an extent, didn't include one), a great world with brilliant mythology and likeable characters all around. Also the fact that it has a nice tie to VII is a nice Easter egg.
    This is partly why I am excited for Versus as that has Nojima also as the writer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really enjoyed FFX but looking at Spoonys review I can see that the story in retrospect is a bit crap and nonsensical in places. However he is a bit too harsh and it's great in some and I really like how it didn't wuss out at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

This is a good game. Stories a bit lacking but the characters imho are the best since 10. Both are interesting. Lots of nice little bits here and their and theres 1 point that made me happy only for it to be taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does it use the same battle system as XIII?

Does it use the same battle system as XIII?

Largely. You just have 2 characters now; Noel & Serah. The third member is a monster which can be obtained from winning battles.
    The mechanics have been tweaked a bit so that staggering is a bit less important. I felt that in XIII, too much emphasis was placed on staggering an opponent before attacking.

H. H. Asquith

For anyone concerned about the difficulty, there are some really tough enemies and boss battles towards the end of the game. I'm currently stuck on
    Proto-Behemoth in Academia 500AF
    and although my party is level 99 in 5/6 of the Crystarium roles and level 50 in the final one, I'm still being destroyed. Some of the random battles in that area can be tough going as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

elekid wrote: »
    For anyone concerned about the difficulty, there are some really tough enemies and boss battles towards the end of the game. I'm currently stuck on
    Proto-Behemoth in Academia 500AF
    and although my party is level 99 in 5/6 of the Crystarium roles and level 50 in the final one, I'm still being destroyed. Some of the random battles in that area can be tough going as well.

Complete crystarium here, 3 top monsters as support and its 50/50 whether I win or lose. Bascially if I get on top of him early I'll win, If he gets health down on one party member early and I have to switch to defensive paradigms I'll inevitably fail.

A good Sentinel and Synergist did it for me in the end. I'm finished the game now with all the fragments, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Sazh DLC coming out on the 28th for Xbox360 (29th for PS3) for anyone who is interested.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218883p1.html

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement