Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Deaths

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Link

What a way to go. The only thing I wonder is if the women were as ugly as sin if he needed a $4,300 incentive to have a threesome with them?

Correction they bet him $4,300 for a 12 HOUR threesome, to be fair, it doesn't matter how savage the 2 women were I'd be bollixed after 2 hours lets alone 12, haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ImGettinPaper

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Correction they bet him $4,300 for a 12 HOUR threesome, to be fair, it doesn't matter how savage the 2 women were I'd be bollixed after 2 hours lets alone 12, haha.
    I'd be bollixed after 2 and a half minutes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Has to be King Edward II.
    He was murdered by having a red hot poker shoved up his arse :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

The death of the evil SS leader Heinrich Himmler in 1945 in the hands of the British is viewed by some as a little bit strange. There are supposedly secret British documents regarding his death which cannot be looked at until 2045.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Has to be King Edward II.
    He was murdered by having a red hot poker shoved up his arse :eek:

He certainly was. He was killed in Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire in 1327 for being gay. Despite having a wife he had at least two male lovers - Piers Gaveston and Hugh Despenser. His killing was arranged by his wife, Queen Isabella, and her lover, Roger Mortimer. Bishop Adam Orleton of Hereford told them that Edward II had committed sodomy, which was a capital offence. Apparently his screams could be heard far and wide.

That was in the days before the PC Brigade and the Health and Safety loons came along and is the reason why we can only burn EFFIGIES of Catholics on Guy Fawkes Night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Some of these stories are giving me the willies. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Something like 12 people die in the US every year from falling onto upturned knives and forks in their dishwashers :eek:. I've made sure mine are always pointed downwards ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

In September 1927 dancer Isadora Duncan happened to express her admiration for a Bugatti sports car owned by Benoit Falchetto, a garage owner in Nice. Anticipating that Isadora’s interest might extend to purchasing it, Falchetto offered to take her for a test drive. Since Isadora was lightly dressed, with only a silk scarf around her shoulders, Falchetto offered her his leather driving coat. But she declined. “Good-bye, my friends, I am off to glory,” she called out, theatrically throwing her scarf behind her as the Bugatti pulled away. Seconds later the trailing scarf became entangled in one wheel of the car, and Isadora was strangled.

Her children died in a freak accident years before too, very weird!
    The children were in the car with their nurse, returning home after lunch with Isadora and Paris Singer. The driver stalled the car while attempting to avoid a collision with another car. He got out to hand-crank the engine, but forgot to set the parking brake. The car rolled across the Boulevard Bourdon, down the embankment and into the river. The children and the nanny drowned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Via Wikipedia:
    Francis "Franky" Brohm, 23, of Marietta, Georgia was leaning out of a car window and decapitated by a telephone pole support wire. The car's intoxicated driver, John Hutcherson, 21, drove nearly 12 miles to his home with the headless body in the passenger seat, parked the car in his driveway, then went to bed. A neighbor saw the bloody corpse still in the car and notified police. Brohm's head was later discovered at the accident scene.
    How do you not notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Jordo141 wrote: »
    Via Wikipedia:
    How do you not notice that?

The same way we don't notice the glasses on our heads when we're looking everywhere for them. It's just one of those things :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Batsy wrote: »
    He certainly was. He was killed in Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire in 1327 for being gay. Despite having a wife he had at least two male lovers - Piers Gaveston and Hugh Despenser. His killing was arranged by his wife, Queen Isabella, and her lover, Roger Mortimer. Bishop Adam Orleton of Hereford told them that Edward II had committed sodomy, which was a capital offence. Apparently his screams could be heard far and wide.

That was in the days before the PC Brigade and the Health and Safety loons came along and is the reason why we can only burn EFFIGIES of Catholics on Guy Fawkes Night.

Lovely Stuff!

http://great-castles.com/berkeleyghost.php

Visitors to the castle can still see a deep dungeon in the old keep, into which were once thrown the rotting carcasses of animals, accompanied every so often, it is said, by the corpses of common people who had offended the powerful Lord Berkeley. The stench rising from this disease-ridden and malodorous pit must have been unbearable, but it also provided an exquisitely horrific way to punish those of noble birth who had incurred the wrath of the Berkeley family. A windowless cell can be seen close by. Here, unfortunate nobles would be locked away, with only the stinking air from the nearby dungeon to breathe. It provided a convenient method by which to dispose of those who could not be seen to have been murdered, since few people could survive long in the dreadful and fetid atmosphere.
    It was this living hell that Edward II found himself confined in 1327, after he was deposed by his wife, Queen Isabella, and her lover, Roger Mortimer. It was their intention that a few days in the dreadful chamber would bring about the king’s death. But his constitution surprised them. He did become ill, but he recovered and managed to survive five months in the loathsome cell. Clearly a more direct approach was required, and so the queen instructed Edward’s jailers, Sir John Maltravers and Sir Thomas Gurney, to dispose of her husband as they saw fit.
    And so on September 21, 1327, Edward II suffered the most horrible death of any British monarch. The two men seized Edward and pinned him face down to the bed, whereupon “a kind of horn or funnel was thrust into his fundament through which a red-hot spit was run up his bowels”. Such was the king’s agony that his screams are said to have been heard far beyond the castle walls, and have echoed down the centuries on the anniversary of his death ever since."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

2011: Acton Beale, 20, died after falling from a balcony in Brisbane, Australia, the only person known to have died while participating in a fad known as 'planking'.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

i read a good book about stupid ways that humans die,cant remember what is was called any ways the one story that i can remember was about a young kid in america who went to a seaside town for his holidays, he sees the local kids cycle their bikes off the pier into the sea,i'l have a go at that he says and i'll show them how it's done.well the boy ties a rope to himself and the handle bars and cycle off the pier.the poor kid thought he would just be float to the surface with a bike attached,er no.locals couldn't get him out in time to save him poor sod.what he didn't realise is the local kids collect their bikes when the tide goes out.not nice but true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The strangest for me is the Dyatlov Pass incident.

Link

'The lack of eyewitnesses has inspired much speculation. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling natural force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident. The chronology of the incident remains unclear because of the lack of survivors.

Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot into heavy snow and a temperature of −30 °C (−22 °F). Although the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Plug wrote: »
    The strangest for me is the Dyatlov Pass incident.

Link

'The lack of eyewitnesses has inspired much speculation. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling natural force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident. The chronology of the incident remains unclear because of the lack of survivors.

Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot into heavy snow and a temperature of −30 °C (−22 °F). Although the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue.'

This one is an interesting one indeed, but what about the radiation that was found on the victims ? also the broken tree-tops in the vicinity. Something damn strange happened here. Why would you cut your way out of your tent from the inside out to get out.

It was surely an unusual scenario these victims encountered, that's for sure. The radiation is puzzling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Batsy wrote: »
    The death of the evil SS leader Heinrich Himmler in 1945 in the hands of the British is viewed by some as a little bit strange. There are supposedly secret British documents regarding his death which cannot be looked at until 2045.

the official story is that he commit suicide. Where did you hear that about the documents?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I reckon the Dyatlov Pass incident is explainable enough, well an explanation that doesn't involve odd stuff. There's an avalanche theory that seems more plausible. Though a couple of problems with that. One, there wasn't any evidence of one. Two, they were camped in an area not prone to them and if one had occurred it would have missed the camp by a large distance. They were experienced hikers so picked the right spot to avoid such, though why they didnt stay in the shelter of the relatively close forest rather than stay in a very exposed spot is puzzling in itself. Maybe something in the forest had freaked them earlier? Wolves, bear?

Anyway, witnesses report lights in the sky which gave rise to UFO stuff, though I would add a more prosaic, if not interesting in of itself possible explanation for the lights and their deaths and possibly the hushing up of the case. Soviet jet fighters being tested. Avalanches roar, make horrendous sounds. The campers settle down for the night in an avalance area, but where they are they reckon they're safe. Later in the evening after dark a couple of jets roar down the valley at low level. Jets of that era were very loud. They awaken, hear this roar and thinking avalanche panic to get away from the tents. So they run into the dark away from the noise in various states of undress. As the cold bites they start to suffer hyperthermia, one known side effect of this is people start taking their clothes off. Mad though that seems. Critical thinking goes out the window too.

So IMHO most of them die of the cold, the injured ones were found at the bottom of a small ravine, so stumbling in terror and confusion in the pitch dark falling head first even a small enough distance would cause head and other body trauma. The missing tongue? Predation by scavengers. Scavengers often go for the tongue(and eyes) of corpses, a fresh snowfall would have covered them up so preventing more scavenging until the bodies were found.

As for the radiation found, that seems to be hearsay many years after the event, so unless fresh evidence supports it I'd be dubious myself.

Still it was a horrible death no matter what happened and still gives a chill up the spine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Wibbs wrote: »
    I reckon the Dyatlov Pass incident is explainable enough, well an explanation that doesn't involve odd stuff. There's an avalanche theory that seems more plausible. Though a couple of problems with that. One, there wasn't any evidence of one. Two, they were camped in an area not prone to them and if one had occurred it would have missed the camp by a large distance. They were experienced hikers so picked the right spot to avoid such, though why they didnt stay in the shelter of the relatively close forest rather than stay in a very exposed spot is puzzling in itself. Maybe something in the forest had freaked them earlier? Wolves, bear?

Anyway, witnesses report lights in the sky which gave rise to UFO stuff, though I would add a more prosaic, if not interesting in of itself possible explanation for the lights and their deaths and possibly the hushing up of the case. Soviet jet fighters being tested. Avalanches roar, make horrendous sounds. The campers settle down for the night in an avalance area, but where they are they reckon they're safe. Later in the evening after dark a couple of jets roar down the valley at low level. Jets of that era were very loud. They awaken, hear this roar and thinking avalanche panic to get away from the tents. So they run into the dark away from the noise in various states of undress. As the cold bites they start to suffer hyperthermia, one known side effect of this is people start taking their clothes off. Mad though that seems. Critical thinking goes out the window too.

So IMHO most of them die of the cold, the injured ones were found at the bottom of a small ravine, so stumbling in terror and confusion in the pitch dark falling head first even a small enough distance would cause head and other body trauma. The missing tongue? Predation by scavengers. Scavengers often go for the tongue(and eyes) of corpses, a fresh snowfall would have covered them up so preventing more scavenging until the bodies were found.

As for the radiation found, that seems to be hearsay many years after the event, so unless fresh evidence supports it I'd be dubious myself.

Still it was a horrible death no matter what happened and still gives a chill up the spine.

It just says Forensic radiation tests had shown high doses of radioactive contamination on the clothes of a few victims, not sure what to make of that. Interesting though.

Military testing...

A 2008 conference at the Urals State Technical University, together with the Dyatlov Group Memorial Foundation, concluded that military testing was the likeliest explanation.

No state agency has responded to Yury Kuntsevich’s requests for information except for the FSB, which said that all those involved in the case had long died, so there was no more information to provide. Kuntsevich, however, obtained additional evidence corroborating the theory.

According to a 2009 witness statement from a former serviceman, the Soviet military carried out exercises in the area. The bomber would cast bombs on a parachute; to enable pilots to see where the bombs landed, they were accompanied by burning fuel that could have accounted for the rotating lights, the burns on the bodies and the radiation.

Advertisement