Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Yes and it shows how RTE demote the All Ireland Hurling Final to its standard digital channel on satellite.
    Sky in its wisdom put the final on SKY Sports One HD.

Only a couple of weeks ago an RTE pundit Joe Brolly was complaining that RTE did not have the rights to show a qualifier game.
    It wont be a suprise if RTE loose more GAA games to SKY and Setanta.
    in defence of RTE(a rare one I might add), the hurling was available in HD to 98% of the population on Saorview and UPC/ Evision. You can ask Sky as to why they will not bother showing the national channel - irelands most popular in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

in defence of RTE(a rare one I might add), the hurling was available in HD to 98% of the population on Saorview and UPC/ Evision. You can ask Sky as to why they will not bother showing the national channel - irelands most popular in HD.

I have already asked RTE.
    RTE/Saorview dont have RTE One HD on the Saorsat platform.
    If you read back on some of the posts you will see the emails and JOKE replys from Saorview/RTE.

I'm not a sky customer, so I wont be asking them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

I'm not really following the above - unless I'm missing something.

Didn't the Hurling clash with the national football team's match which was on RTÉ Two? I might be wrong on that.

If I'm not isn't RTÉ Two the usual home of football whereas RTÉ One usually shows other sports when there's sport on Two.

The complaints would have been about the lack of football in HD if the sports had been swapped to the alternative channels so the focus should solely be on lack of RTÉ One in HD on outlets other than Saorview rather than one sport being "demoted" to RTÉ One.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Apparently the only 'bone of contention' is the fact that RTÉ1 is not in HD on Saorsat yet.

I guess it is a low priority given the small numbers that receive this service.

It does need to be attended to soon .....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

radiowaves wrote: »
    I'm not really following the above - unless I'm missing something.

Didn't the Hurling clash with the national football team's match which was on RTÉ Two? I might be wrong on that.

If I'm not isn't RTÉ Two the usual home of football whereas RTÉ One usually shows other sports when there's sport on Two.

The complaints would have been about the lack of football in HD if the sports had been swapped to the alternative channels so the focus should solely be on lack of RTÉ One in HD on outlets other than Saorview rather than one sport being "demoted" to RTÉ One.

This is how it went in RTÉ Land

Executive 1: So we have clashing games
    Executive 2: Hurling on 2?
    Executive 1: Yeah and Soccer on 1
    Executive 3: Sport during Prime Time on 1??
    Executive 2: Yeah suppose can be having that
    Executive 1: But its the All Ireland Final
    Executive 2: And 2 is really the home of sport
    Executive 3: But its prime time on 1
    Executive 1: Alright I can't come up with any other real reason why it'd by on 2 over 1, clearly prime time is more important

I'd say HD and what sport on what channel never came into the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Elmo wrote: »
    This is how it went in RTÉ Land

Executive 1: So we have clashing games
    Executive 2: Hurling on 2?
    Executive 1: Yeah and Soccer on 1
    Executive 3: Sport during Prime Time on 1??
    Executive 2: Yeah suppose can be having that
    Executive 1: But its the All Ireland Final
    Executive 2: And 2 is really the home of sport
    Executive 3: But its prime time on 1
    Executive 1: Alright I can't come up with any other real reason why it'd by on 2 over 1, clearly prime time is more important

I'd say HD and what sport on what channel never came into the discussion.

I agree - the HD issue didn't come into it I'd imagine.

I also don't think there was any discussion because there was none to be had.
    As I said - football is just about always on RTÉ Two - with almost no exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

radiowaves wrote: »
    I also don't think there was any discussion because there was none to be had.
    As I said - football is just about always on RTÉ Two - with almost no exceptions.

And as someone mentioned earlier with the Angelus/Six-One News on RTÉ1 the All-Ireland Hurling Final fitted into the RTÉ1 schedule better than the European qualifier.

The Cush wrote: »
    And as someone mentioned earlier with the Angelus/Six-One News on RTÉ1 the All-Ireland Hurling Final fitted into the RTÉ1 schedule better than the European qualifier.

You know they could always just show both on News Now, and if they're inclined a repeat showing of Six One after the match on One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Now that RTE are closing 252 because it only has 2k listeners (according to rte) might they close saorsat too giving the same reason ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Nothing stopping them as such.

One could make the argument that there are a number of free alternatives to LW (e.g. FM, Saorview, DAB (sort of), DVB-S radio, internet) whereas no free alternative exists for Saorsat.

There is no legal requirement on them to provide Saorsat AFAICS. Although if a universal broadcasting charge is introduced, politically it might be more difficult to remove it.

• Advertisement

Just as a BTW RTÉ ONE's coverage was down and it seemed thoses with access to the All Ireland Final did switch to HD on Sky Sports. Though very slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

They'd have more viewers if they were on 28.2 Degrees East, rights issues or otherwise, rather than an obscure satellite with an extremely narrow/spot beam.

Is there absolutely no way they could have it on Freesat free to air along with the NI mux for Northern viewers, and block it for the UK mainland ?

If that were possible it would solve a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Is there absolutely no way they could have it on Freesat free to air along with the NI mux for Northern viewers, and block it for the UK mainland ?

No.

As you know Freesat is basically a 7 day epg service for FTA channels who choose to pay Freesat for the that service, the channels remain FTA and and continue to be available to any FTA satellite receiver without the 7 day epg. Encryption is the only option to protect programming rights from 28 degs. east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »

:confused: Free-to-air & 'blocked' at the same time? No, just like all the other times this question was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Thurston? wrote: »
    :confused: Free-to-air & 'blocked' at the same time? No, just like all the other times this question was asked.

In the future there may be newer KA satellites at 28 east, and so an unencrypted spot beam could be used for Ireland only coverage, and theoretically a new LNB could receive both older and new KA signals, but it would at the very least require a new LNB on the dish, and of course a new satellite launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

zg3409 wrote: »
    In the future there may be newer KA satellites at 28 east, and so an unencrypted spot beam could be used for Ireland only coverage, and theoretically a new LNB could receive both older and new KA signals, but it would at the very least require a new LNB on the dish, and of course a new satellite launched.
    Astra 2E & 2F do have Ka Band beams, but in comparison to Eutelsat's Ka-Sat at 9 East it has each a single wider beam aimed primarily towards central Europe, presumably for two-way internet use, certainly neither of the two has an Ireland-only spot beam even vaguely close to what Ka-Sat has.

Hi guys, just to confirm is the RTÉ Aertel Digital service available on Saorsat, am thinking of buying the Walker Saorsat approved box
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-WP645TS

Neither the Triax or Ferguson combo's show the Aertel service.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In Radio User magazine December 2014, dxtv and satellite news, there is the following item:

The Irish free-to-air satellite package, Saorsat, is to test in ultra high definition (UHD). Saorsat is intended to provide a means of reaching the small number of viewers (around one to two percent) who cannot receive Saorview, the terrestrial digital service. Saorsat broadcasts in the Ka band from Eutelsat 9A at 9°E. It's footprint is tightly restricted, so it is unlikely to be receivable outside Éire.

I cannot find anything online to confirm this. Has anyone else here heard about it? Whatever their source is, it is good to see that they got the satellite details correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Strange that they are testing UHD when RTE One isn't available in HD on Saorsat

Just got an answer from @SAORVIEW on twitter
    "There are no plans at present to carry UTV Ireland on Saorsat"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Just got an answer from @SAORVIEW on twitter
    "There are no plans at present to carry UTV Ireland on Saorsat"

buy wont you be able to get it from Astra or is it going to be encrypted?

ok guys. i have A 88 triax dish and i want to get soarsat and astra on it.

i assume from reading back i need to do the following.

line the dish up a single lnb to 19e and the attach my multiblock and then line then up.

following the mauanl i have lnb1 soarsat to the right of the mutliblock about 90mm to right of the centre and the astra 20mm to the left of centre.

anyone every done one like this? can someone post up a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

irishgeo wrote: »
    ok guys. i have A 88 triax dish and i want to get soarsat and astra on it.

i assume from reading back i need to do the following.

line the dish up a single lnb to 19e and the attach my multiblock and then line then up.

following the mauanl i have lnb1 soarsat to the right of the mutliblock about 90mm to right of the centre and the astra 20mm to the left of centre.

anyone every done one like this? can someone post up a picture?

Here ----
    https://www.satellitetv.ie/saorsat_freesat_kit
    Regards

... line the dish up a single lnb to 19e and the attach my multiblock and then line then up.

If the dish is aligned on 19, that's a 10 degree offset for 9, & a 9 degree offset for 28, so hardly any difference: how did you come up with 90mm & 20 mm?

Thurston? wrote: »
    If the dish is aligned on 19, that's a 10 degree offset for 9, & a 9 degree offset for 28, so hardly any difference: how did you come up with 90mm & 20 mm?

ita in the manual that comes with the multiblock although it doesnt state what they point are starting from.

buy wont you be able to get it from Astra or is it going to be encrypted?

According to King of Sat web site, UTV Ireland encrypted at the moment.

Similar with RTE TV, TV3 and TG4 - UTV Ireland will possibly remain encrypted on 28 for licence reasons.

http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=utv+ireland&Submit=Zap

ita in the manual that comes with the multiblock although it doesnt state what they point are starting from.

If you align the dish on 19 east, the 2 LNBs will have a pretty similar offset, obviously.

Who provided the manual? Strange they would offset the Saorsat LNB more than that for 28 east. I'm assuming when you refer to right & left in your other post, you are viewing from in front of the dish, or maybe you got this mixed up, & the LNB with the smaller offset is actually for Saorsat? Either way, it's not for a dish alignment on 19 east.

its probably going to be the coldest day of the year tomorrow but i got this job to do, as i promised the brother i do it for him.

so its a case of lining up the dish with a universal lnb to 19e and the tighten that up and then start working out from the center until i find astra and 9e and the astra side of the arm should be higher than soarsat side.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jkk1

Hi,
    Down here in West Kerry the rain fade is horrendous since they had to reconfigure the power or whatever to prepare for RTE1 HD. Here, where it is needed most, we are outside the footprint of the saorsat beam.
    I have just had the experience to discover how slovenia solved similar digital problem over there. Slovenia TV1, TV2 are encrypted but available on standard satellites to any slovenian in any country who applies for and buys a one off card for 16 euro.
    Also, slovenian programming on these stations is not encrypted, only the programming where there might be a licensing/royalties issue
    Sensible way to do it, not like the expensive mess we have!

• Advertisement

... so its a case of lining up the dish with a universal lnb to 19e and the tighten that up and then start working out from the center until i find astra and 9e and the astra side of the arm should be higher than soarsat side.

That's the idea yeah. Hope it proves as easily done as said!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement