Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    tg_savior_self

double check that. no result found. It should be the name that appears on your profile

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

bpb101 wrote: »
    double check that. no result found. It should be the name that appears on your profile

my username is tg_savior_self

my profile is TG Savior Self

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    my username is tg_savior_self

my profile is TG Savior Self
    pm sent on boards
    think i found you
    steam search is dreadfull

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

Username is Howlin1 - http://steamcommunity.com/id/Howlin1

Howlin1 wrote: »

right i got to change this

cant find you either.

From now on will people who want to join , link us to your profile.
    STEAM IS DREADFUL FOR SEARCHING always found it so,

Edit, invite sent

• Advertisement

Custom made avatar is now up on the group , here it is
    215830.jpeg

edit , mea culpa, ill photodock out that white bit on the logo,

edit 2 finished mistake mentioned in edit 1

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Steam for Linux is a stupid idea. Linux is about free open software. Having DRM games is not open software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Steam for Linux is a stupid idea. Linux is about free open software. Having DRM games is not open software.

It could be argued that drawing lines around what is or isn't allowed to happen on my computer is the antithesis of free and open.

by that logic you shouldnt be able have paid games on android.
    because android is open sourced(or part there of )

if your against it, so be it , dont support it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Goodshape wrote: »
    It could be argued that drawing lines around what is or isn't allowed to happen on my computer is the antithesis of free and open.

Of course it could.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

invite sent

very good point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's all very well and good in a world where open source is producing top end games. The fact is that (with some minor exceptions) it isn't. You need only look at the lack of exciting games coming from the release of the Doom 3 source code. You pay for good games. As time goes by the cost of producing them moves beyond what the open source beast is "willing" to achieve.

I'm fine with closed source games myself as long as those games start appearing on Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I don't care about Steam as such, but valve/steam team is working together with intel guys to improve _open source_ drivers, so I like it!

Im am led to believe that the value linux talk is happing between 6-7 LA time tonight. thats between 11-12
    http://www.khronos.org/news/events/siggraph-los-angeles-2012#opengl_bof

The new steam
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1NjM
    Valve's new Steam will go beyond just games and offer all sorts of software while still providing the same Steamworks benefits like easy/automated installation, automatic updating, and being able to safe your work into the Steam Cloud.

The launch will happen on 5 September.

This move will now align the Steam client into much greater competition with Microsoft's forthcoming Windows 8 store as well as Apple's App Store and Canonical's Ubuntu Software Center, etc.

The announcement can be found at SteamPowered.com.

Possible release date for the linux steam client?
    If they sell music, then they want to tap into the linux market. It would be one of the first cross platform, client music seller (app store is not available on linux and so on)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Hmmm, would this mean distributing media that isn't DRM protected as most Music stores are DRM free now.

Apps and so Games (which are applications) will probably always be license key and or DRM protected and so anything distributed via Steam would no doubt need the client to be running to be checking the status of your license live over the net all the time.

I'm a fan of Steam but a small part of me worries about it's dark side. The fact that when you buy a game you are only buying a license to use the game and Steam or the publisher (EA and others) can remove it from you should they need/want to. Would this apply to all other media?

I'm subscribed the the blog (http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/) and smile at the fact they have Left 4 Dead 2 running with higher FPS on openGL than with DirectX.

• Advertisement

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I'm subscribed the the blog (http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/) and smile at the fact they have Left 4 Dead 2 running with higher FPS on openGL than with DirectX.

Interesting alright. :) It's not an apples to apples comparison though unfortunately. DX has a larger feature set than OpenGL. In theory, for the exact same graphics I would expect more or less an exact same frame rate. More or less. DirectX is a fine technology.

I must say, DirectX / D3D was an absolute stroke of genius from Microsoft when it came out. It locked vendors into the microsoft way of doing things (and to be fair it was a better product at the time, though I doubt there's much visually separating them now).

If the majority of games had been OGL, more people unquestionably would have shifted to Linux and Mac at the time. Possibly enough to create a critical mass. Alas....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Steam but a small part of me worries about it's dark side. The fact that when you buy a game you are only buying a license to use the game and Steam or the publisher (EA and others) can remove it from you should they need/want to. Would this apply to all other media?

Actually, I read recently (it may have even been this thread, if so... sowwi :o) that the law may be changing to allow you to resell your digitally owned games.

Here is a piece about it -> http://www.webpronews.com/you-can-resell-your-steam-games-in-europe-2012-07

I don't think it's the one I read recently but same idea.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1NzE
    details on how they got l4d2 working faster on linux
    in a bit of rush so i didnt read it all

IMPORTANT THING , pics of l4d2 coming in a blog post next week!
    thats what i got

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

Is there any eta on when L4D2 will be released?

Howlin1 wrote: »
    Is there any eta on when L4D2 will be released?

ETA.. Ha... this is valve.. when its done.. its done.

ETA:Before the 1st of January 2013.

But I will keep guessing it will be around Halloween.. you know.. left4dead2...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

I'd be on for a game......if my computer can handle it! That's the next bleedin' problem

rollie wrote: »
    I'd be on for a game......if my computer can handle it! That's the next bleedin' problem

Specs?

Minimum specs for it are very low. P4 3GHz. 1G of RAM. Even my 4 year old box should be well able for it.

We should all celebrate with some unix forum online mayhem when it comes out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

The latest upddat of Catalyst no longer supports my card (Radeon HD4350) so had to go to OPenGL...which means straightaway that I can no longer play Amnesia:Dark descent.

Just something to keep in mind.

Will these games only work with proprietary drivers (as long as they decide to support your card)???

Me wonders.

Advertisement