Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog crap all over Cabra

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I place it in the nearest bin available.Not expecting a fucking round of applause. I could've easily just left it on the ground.

Well, by saying "I could have easily just left it on the ground" does rather imply that that you want a pat on the back for putting in a bin.

The bin you chose was on private property. She may have overreacted, but I think you have as well. Save grief in the future and just use a public bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Spencer Handsome Woodchuck

Yeah get off your ****ing high horse and STFU, Tatranska!

There are no horses in this part of cabra to sit on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

@Phenomenally Phrank:
    I seriously cannot believe that you think its ok to bring your dog's crap inside somebody's workplace and leave it there. Tightly wrapped or not, it isnt sealed and is very far from hygienic. Are you honestly saying that if somebody arrived at your house with a bag of crap and asked did you mind if they put it in your inside bin that you would be perfectly fine with that?
    I'm assuming that you arent trolling here but would you cop on...you do owe that person an apology, whatever you might think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

There are no horses in this part of cabra to sit on :)

There might be today, the fair is on in Smithfield, Dogs might be the least of your worries.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 biancab

its the same all over the country so sick of it , lots of signs up but who`s gonna stop it from happening and who enforces the fine??? Mr Nobody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I've only noticed that it's started to get worse in the past two months or so. Coming up New Cabra road or going down Quarry Road or Annamoe and there's dog crap on the path every couple of feet. It's not even against a wall or anything, right bang in the middle and smeared all over the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

When I'm out with my own dog-with a couple of plastic bags stuck in my pocket- I've seen others let their dogs do their business all over the path. When I offer them the lend of a plastic bag they either ignore me or tell me to f off.

I wish I could catch the person who lets his dog **** right in the mddle of my gate though:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Anyone suspect this problem is worse since the plastic bag tax took millions of free plastic bags out of circulation?

eric hoone wrote: »
    Anyone suspect this problem is worse since the plastic bag tax took millions of free plastic bags out of circulation?

No, it's pure laziness or distaste for picking up dog poo on the owners part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Who was in the right there? Personally I think I was, since I had (A) picked up after my dog in the first place and (B) chosen a suitable receptacle for the 'refuse'.

She was in the right, you should not have put it in her bin in her shop and then refuse to remove it, maybe she's glad you won't be shopping there again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    So once again, I am walking with the kids to the child minders this morning. One of them gets tired along the way and wants to be carried.

I pick the child up and then notice the smell.

Dog crap on his shoe, dog crap all over my trousers from when I am carrying him. I get to the childminders and spend ten minutes cleaning dog faeces off the sole of his shoe. I have to return home to get changed instead of heading directly on to work.

I know its not the only place in Dublin that has this problem, but everywhere I go in Cabra there is dog crap on the footpaths. Its disgusting, its vile, its extremely dangerous also......who knows what disease is carred in this actual crap.

I'm just so bloody tired of not being able to bring a pram or a childs shoe or my own shoe into the house because of it. At least on the footpaths you can see it and have a chance of dodging it, but on any green area.....basically you have to stay off them and keep the kids off them because of it. Have dog owners in Cabra got no pride in their environs whatsoever that they allow this to happen? There is one corner near me that could literally be called Dog Crap Corner, as everytime I pass there are at least 5 or 6 different turds.

Now I know a lot of dog owners are responsible.

But there are clearly a huge amount who are not. My suspicion incidentally is that the irresponsible owners are elderly people who let their dog out "to do his business" first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

There are signs up all over the place saying it is littering, it is illegal, about the fines and so on, but to no avail. Is there anything that can be done about this.....in people's views. Or is it a pointless rant.

i live on the new cabra road and its covered in dog crap....... i wish the city council would put a few people to catch and fine the owners of these offending dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's not helped by the fact that bins have been removed all over Dublin. I know of several, including dog waste ones, that have vanished over the last few months. There is often a little pile of poo bags at the site where the bin used to be, like a shrine.

Of course, I'm in no way excusing people who don't clean up after their dogs, or pepole who leave bags around. I just put the handle of the bag round my wrist. There's always a bin somewhere.

As if the dog crap wasn't bad enough yesterday somebody dumped some dirty nappies on the path outside my gate. I discovered that there is an online mechanism to report illegal dumping on the City Council's website. It's quite easy and it seems to work as the Nappies were gone quite quickly.
    So next time you see a pile of dog crap- fill this in. If enough of us do it then the City Council should get the message and do something

http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Pages/isupport.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

the City Council should get the message and do something

http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Pages/isupport.aspx

It is not the City Council that need to do something, it's dog owners who need to get the message.

MadsL wrote: »
    It is not the City Council that need to do something, it's dog owners who need to get the message.

True but what I meant was the council could police the area and catch the dog owners in the act

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    East Cabra is where I live.....but my guess is it could be anywhere.

For example the bridge over the railway tracks at Faussagh Road, from the gaeilscoil up towards Carnlough. That bridge always has a 5 or so turds to dodge.

Similarly, the patch of green just outside the gaeilscoil......literally cant let the kids run on it.

All around East Cabra, but especially the road surrounding the Church.

Part of the problem here is that if you do complain about it formally, you are effectively reporting your neighbours to the authorities, and that can create all sorts of bad blood that can last for...well decades....

why not try and better yourself and move to a respectable area!!

Sacred_git wrote: »

Very helpful post there, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Riya Strong Nitroglycerin

Sacred_git wrote: »

Why don't you try a different forum if you're going to take that attitude here?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Dog feces are one of the most common carriers of the following diseases:

Heartworms
    Whipworms
    Hookworms
    Roundworms
    Tapeworms
    Parvo
    Corona
    Giardiasis
    Salmonellosis
    Cryptosporidiosis
    Campylobacteriosis

From: http://www.doodycalls.com/resources_toxic_dog_waste.asp

Not sure if they still do, but in Paris they used popper scoopers on motor bikes , that went around sucking it up and then spraying the area with disinfectant. Sound like the way to go for me, so far as combating the health side of things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motocrotte Not carried out anymore.

Penalties should still enforced though, if owners are not doing their duty.

Wikepedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooper-scooper
    Dog droppings are one of the leading sources of E. coli (fecal coliforms) bacterial pollution, Toxocara canis and Neospora caninum helminth parasite pollution. One gram of dog feces contains over 20,000,000 E. coli cells.[2] While an individual animal's deposit of feces will not measurably affect the environment, the cumulative effect of thousands of dogs and cats in a metropolitan area can create serious problems due to contamination of soil and water supplies. The runoff from neglected pet waste contaminates water, creating health hazards for people, fish, ducks, etc.[3]

The situation is particularly dire[citation needed] in Germany, where an estimated 1400 tonnes of feces are deposited daily on public property. A citizen commission (2005) overwhelmingly recommended a plan that would break even at about seven months. DNA samples would be required when pet licenses come up for renewal. Within a year, a database of some 12,500 registration-required canine residents would be available to sanitation workers with sample-test kits. Evidence would be submitted to a forensics laboratory where technicians could readily match the waste to its dog. The prospect of a prompt fine equivalent to $600 US (at 2005 exchange rate) would help assure preventive compliance, as well as cover costs.[4] In adult dogs, the infection by Toxocara canis is usually asymptomatic but can be fatal in puppies.[5][6] A number of various vertebrates, including humans, and some invertebrates can become infected by Toxocara canis. Humans are infected, like other paratenic hosts, by ingestion of embryonated T. canis eggs.[7] The disease caused by migrating T. canis larvae (toxocariasis) results in visceralis larva migrans and ocularis larva migrans.Clinically infected people have helminth infection and rarely blindness.[8]

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I lived on Quarry Road many years ago, and it was a problem even then. I was at a funeral recently in Christ the King church, and even the grounds of the church were full of dog crap. Walking along Annaly Road was like trying to pick a way through a minefield.

Mind you, I am living in the south inner city at present and the problem is the same here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

Cabra is terrible for dog ****, I moved there last year and am constantly astonished by the mess all over the pavements. Every time I walk home I have to check my feet when I get in the door, especially if it's dark. There are a lot of dogs around my area that just wander the streets on their own, the owners leave them out in the front garden and let them wander around freely, so I'd imagine this is probably a large part of it.

Thankfully stray dogs wandering around is not a problem around here.
    You can call the dog warden and explain that this particular dog is always out off it's leash and they will come and check the dog for ID and bring it back to the owner, telling off or fine, if no ID then it's off to the pound.

Advertisement