Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spreading lime on land

• 03-01-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hello,
    Turns out our land needs lime more so than anything else. I have a few questions if someone could point me in the right direction:

What time of year do you spread it?
    Does the contractor get the lime for you and spread it or do you need to order the lime yourself and just get it tipped at the fields that need lime?

Or any info at all would be useful

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i got it done last year the contractor got the lime for me and then spread it , we spread it in late february hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 podgey

westlander wrote: »
    Hello,
    Turns out our land needs lime more so than anything else. I have a few questions if someone could point me in the right direction:

What time of year do you spread it?
    Does the contractor get the lime for you and spread it or do you need to order the lime yourself and just get it tipped at the fields that need lime?

Or any info at all would be useful

Thank you.
    The best time to spread is in autumn were i live u pay the quarry where the lime comes from so much a ton and that also covers contractor fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

if you know somone with a lorry considerable savings can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

the autumn is probaly a better time to spread because the lime sits on top for a long time before it is fully washed down.
    it would be cheaper to just get the quarry to deliver or if you know someone with an 8 wheeler get them to haul it.
    you can organise your own cotractor to spread or they will organise it costs the same either way.
    2 years ago it cost me 18 euro per ton for the lime and 5 euro per ton to spread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Make sure you are happy with the supplier and that the lime meets the Dept of Ag spec
    Some quarries mix quarry dust with the ag lime to clear stock piles of this unsaleable by product
    I think the approved brand is Grolime
    Get an analysis of chemical composition identifying magnesium content etc

• Advertisement

lime is also available bagged ...avoid at all costs as about 6x dearer this way.

also avoid overdosing as some ground , especially peaty soils, can get clogged up.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

OK thanks for that everyone!
    How many tonnes of lime per acre do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭cjpm

westlander wrote: »
    OK thanks for that everyone!
    How many tonnes of lime per acre do you think?

You have to get a soil test done to establish how much is required, no one can guess it for you, it depends on your fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

emmemm wrote: »
    lime is also available bagged ...avoid at all costs as about 6x dearer this way.

also avoid overdosing as some ground , especially peaty soils, can get clogged up.

Do you mean granular lime that you can spread with a fertliser is dearer
    I just heard of it last yr never used it yet

djmc wrote: »
    Do you mean granular lime that you can spread with a fertliser is dearer
    I just heard of it last yr never used it yet

that's right, why pay so much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

emmemm wrote: »
    that's right, why pay so much?

well bag lime /granlime is taken up straight away and bulk lime is in the ground a year before it is taken up we were told, so... if you rent a field for 1 year it would make sense not to just leave it for the next fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

John_F wrote: »
    well bag lime /granlime is taken up straight away and bulk lime is in the ground a year before it is taken up we were told, so... if you rent a field for 1 year it would make sense not to just leave it for the next fella!

if your renting land and it needs lime i think you should pay a price accordingly.
    if you get your land tested for lime and it needs so many tonnes of grolime per acre if you were to apply the equivalent in granlime it would cost you a lot of money.
    granlime is ok for very small areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

wit all due respect, in a good site hes (or she) not going to drop the price of the land because you show him some soil tests, he (or she) is going to get the money anyway like, lime is very important for a good crop to grow so if you say your going to spread no lime at all (if what they told us is correct that normal lime will take a year to be effective) and spread n p and k to what the soil tests say then thats money down the drain, it does work well if you have a short term lease and need a good crop, obviously bulk lime will be cheaper and should be applied at all means i.e if its your own land or have a long term lease or if your sure about lease in the following year,

id say the bulk lime westlander but prob earlier on in the year, saw a farmer down here doing it the week before christmas alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

anyone know how much per ton spread or otherwise

Make sure you are happy with the supplier and that the lime meets the Dept of Ag spec
    Some quarries mix quarry dust with the ag lime to clear stock piles of this unsaleable by product
    I think the approved brand is Grolime
    Get an analysis of chemical composition identifying magnesium content etc

As said before Autumn is the best time as it gives time to allow lime wash in
    but as ever trafficability is THE major issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

red bull wrote: »
    anyone know how much per ton spread or otherwise

It roughly 480 for a 20 tonne loa delivered and spread. 24 euro a tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

We are planning on sowing winter oats, the ground needs lime (took a soil test) we were thinking of putting half in now and half before we set it into grass next year, anyway , some people said you should plough first then put the lime out then till/sow to get better use of the lime as its nearer the top, however our contractor wants the lime put out on the stubble first before he ploughs to avoid heavy machinery compacting the ground again, i suppose this will not matter if lime takes a year to take effect,
    any one have experience of this? or what would you do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

adne wrote: »
    It roughly 480 for a 20 tonne loa delivered and spread. 24 euro a tonne

you need to shop around, €20 per ton delivered and spread, €19 for orders of 100 ton or more.

snowman707 wrote: »
    you need to shop around, €20 per ton delivered and spread, €19 for orders of 100 ton or more.

where u in??

where u in??

sent you pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

think that a part of the difference in price comes down to the distance the lime has to be delivered

Thanks, i live within 2 miles of a quarry just looking for a price per ton delivered a friend will spread it i need 150 tons What you think i should pay for lime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

red bull wrote: »
    Thanks, i live within 2 miles of a quarry just looking for a price per ton delivered a friend will spread it i need 150 tons What you think i should pay for lime

I paid 18euro / ton for lime the start of this year, for 40 tons, this was from a well known supplier in Cork.
    I found another place that will deliver it for 15euro/ton, this is from another quarry, not sure what this is like now, havent heard anything about it only price...

A lot of concern in the North West on the actual quality of the lime
    It is supposed to be licensed and controlled by the Dept of Agriculture
    I hear of some independent suppliers who mix grit and dust a by product of block making and road chip manufacturing and sell as Ag lime
    The old adage buyer beware
    Make sure your supplier is a reputable producer giving you a printed docket with accurate weights instead of a handwritten docket with 26Tonnes on the paperwork and 18 on the truck
    Good advice to get your own spreader man as he will know the weights

A
    Make sure your supplier is a reputable producer giving you a printed docket with accurate weights instead of a handwritten docket with 26Tonnes on the paperwork and 18 on the truck
    Good advice to get your own spreader man as he will know the weights

The dept are looking for printed (computer) dockets for reps , hand written are not acceptable

snowman707 wrote: »
    The dept are looking for printed (computer) dockets for reps , hand written are not acceptable

Thats right , but, they are accepting computer printed invoices without looking at the hand written delivery dockets as far as I know

Anyone with experience of Mc Graths of Cong or Mortimers of Belclare 150 tons to spread I dont want to make any mistakes :confused:

Thats right , but, they are accepting computer printed invoices without looking at the hand written delivery dockets as far as I know

Can you recommend any good suppliers in the Sligo / Ros / Leitrim Area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Mcgraths have good lime, not sure of the prices though as we havent put it out in a while. HAve been using the gran lime and it's much better we find. Faster acting, more grass, less waste and much cheaper. The best thing is ya can put it out yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Can you recommend any good suppliers in the Sligo / Ros / Leitrim Area

JJ Shanley in Dromod or Padraig Beirne in Elphin

Advertisement