Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settle an old debate

Comments

• Another one that is misconstrued by EVERYBODY is "Card Sharp" which is interpreted as "Card Shark" because of the similarity between that and "Pool Shark".

Seeing as we're all in agreement with "play it by ear" and "common or garden", i've had a row with a girl I know about whether the kids at the end of this ad are saying "Ohhhh, they're tired" or "Overtired".

It's so painfully obvious to me that it's the former. If it was "overtired" why the long drawn out "ohhhhhh" part?

BTW, when i was younger, i thought the Mars bar slogan on the ads was.....
    "...helps you work less than play". Meaning that playful, active people eat mars bars. I was devastated when i found out the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Lolz @please to meet you. A couple of times when I wasn't paying attention and getting communion I have said "Thanks" instead of "Amen".
    I'm such a rebel.

roffs

At least it wasn't cheers mate!

And that ad with the kids - it's overtired imhoe

those kids are creepy though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Here's a bad one. In Mario 64, my friend was convinced that when you started a level, Mario said "Let's pickle" instead of a bad italian "Let's a-go"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Giblet wrote:
    This is nearly as bad as someone saying "For all intensive purposes!"

That one is particularly painful alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Giblet wrote:
    Here's a bad one. In Mario 64, my friend was convinced that when you started a level, Mario said "Let's pickle" instead of a bad italian "Let's a-go"

Pfft, all nintendo voices suck. Street fighter was unintentionally hilarious when listening to the voices and trying to interpret what the characters said;

Ryu; Attack that Veruca!

Sagat; Tiger Biker Uppercut!

There are plenty others I can't think of right now...

• Advertisement

• When i was younger, i thought they were:

Ken: Rack-jack-baroooo-jack
    Sagat: Cyber-Rubberduck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Why do a lot of Dublin people say "pacifically" when they mean "specifically" ?:confused: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Futureman wrote:
    And it's "I couldn't care less".
    Exactly! "I could care less" really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

BigCon wrote:
    Why do a lot of Dublin people say "pacifically" when they mean "specifically" ?:confused: ?

The same reason you say "wan" instead of "one".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's "play it by ear" specifically coming from the way musicians intepret what they're hearing and simulate on an instrument without notation. i.e. most guitarists (including myself).
    "Common or garden" comes from a term relating to plants and occasionally animals/birds which are the usual ones you would come across in your garden. For example, a wild daffodil as opposed to a specially bred hybrid with strange colouration. The regular flower would be referred to as "Common, or garden variety."(note comma)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Giblet wrote:
    This is nearly as bad as someone saying "For all intensive purposes!"
    I hate that and it's far too common!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Those kids say "Overtired" in their ugly Yorkshire accents.
    My favourite; irregardless. Ooohh, listen to you and your fancy-schmancy book-learnin'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm pretty sure "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less" are both correct and both eqaully common in use. Even though "I couldn't care less" logically doesn't make sense, it's basically sarcasm. I apparently comes from the dry upper class british wit, that uses a lot of self-deprivating and sarcastic remarks. (the way I think of it is "I could care less, but I'm not going to be bothered to" meaning they're not worth thinking about). And this proves that my years of watching Countdown were not a waste!

Also, "You can't have your cake and eat it." Yes you can! The actual phrase is "You can't eat you cake and have it". (I heard that one on Joe Duffy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Another one that is misconstrued by EVERYBODY is "Card Sharp" which is interpreted as "Card Shark" because of the similarity between that and "Pool Shark".

Card Shark and Card Sharp are two different phrases.

Form OED, Shark: to shark on or upon: to prey like a shark upon; to victimize, sponge upon, swindle; to oppress by extortion. Obs.

Also from OED, Sharp: a. To cheat, swindle, trick (a person).

In relation to poker wikipedia has this to say: A card shark is an expert card game player who feasts on weaker "fish" players. A card shark is different from a card sharp, who uses deception for purposes of either card tricks or to cheat at a game like poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

cjt156 wrote:
    irregardless.

One of my pet hates, I have to say. No offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

"I couldn't care less" is not sarcasm. It is literally stating that you couldn't care less.

And "deprivating" is not a word. You are thinking of "self-deprecating", meaning "to undervalue oneself and one's abilities".

Also, those kids are probably saying "Ohhh, they're tired" in their thick accents, although I can be no more certain on that than anyone else, aside from the script writers and the kids in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Steven wrote:

Also, those kids are probably saying "Ohhh, they're tired" in their thick accents, although I can be no more certain on that than anyone else, aside from the script writers and the kids in question.

I agree, surely they say Ohhh, they're tired. Is there even such a word as overtired. (I know someone is about to post a link pointing me to a definition of overtired!)

I've never in my life heard anyone say they were overtired. I mean, how could one be overtired? Surely when you are tired you are feeling weak and want to rest, so what the hell could overtired mean? You are so tired you come back around to not being tired anymore?!
    Guffaw, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

bmaxi wrote:
    One of my pet hates, I have to say. No offence.
    Actually I'm pretty sure he was listing it as one of his pet-hates. ;)
    homerjk wrote:
    Is there even such a word as overtired.
    Verb 1. overtire - tire excessively

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Steven wrote:
    Actually I'm pretty sure he was listing it as one of his pet-hates. ;)

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

"I could care less" is the American version of "I couldn't care less" and it's unfortunately gaining currency on this side of the pond. That phrase causes heated discussions when it's used in alt.usage.english on Usenet

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Definitely "Overtired". Never occurred to me that it would be anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

What they are actually saying is "ohhhhhh, they're tired!". Even if you don't want to listen properly, if you just think about it it'll make sense - it's called irony.

As for card sharp, what?!! When did you ever see those words written, let alone spoken?? A shark is a player who preys on weaker card players (fish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Thread of the day? Potentially? I lolled, I cried, I may have even roffled.

I would've gone with "Oh, they're tired" too - didn't yer man just drop the plates yer wan got from her mother, for gods sake, and she snapped at him. They're moving in and the bad humour is because they're tired. The kids just twigged it when the kerfuffle over the damaged delph took place. Simple, to my mind. (I like simple, me!)

Overtired is a word. You get well used to the word overtired when you're around small kids. Have you never been so tired that you just couldn't sleep? You were overtired at that point. It happens to most people at some stage.

I HATE when people say then instead of than. "I'd rather take this one then that one." That's fine if you're getting both, but if you're only having one and you're choosing between the two, change you're bloody vowel! It makes my eyes bleed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

its "oh, they're tired". Why would they be saying oooooovertired? that would be so camp. Just listen to it and you won't hear any v and there is a pause between the "oh" and the "they".

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

humanji wrote:
    I'm pretty sure "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less" are both correct and both eqaully common in use. Even though "I couldn't care less" logically doesn't make sense, it's basically sarcasm. I apparently comes from the dry upper class british wit, that uses a lot of self-deprivating and sarcastic remarks. (the way I think of it is "I could care less, but I'm not going to be bothered to" meaning they're not worth thinking about). And this proves that my years of watching Countdown were not a waste!

Also, "You can't have your cake and eat it." Yes you can! The actual phrase is "You can't eat you cake and have it". (I heard that one on Joe Duffy).
    Did you see this?

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=caringha0.png

It explains the logic behind the phrase "I couldn't care less". I mean, the only place where I can see any reason behind your contention that it doesn't make logical sense is if you don't know what the word "less" means.

If you say, "I could care less about Jessica Alba", it means that you care about Jessica Alba to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

humanji wrote:

Originally the phrase was "You can't eat your cake and have it" but it's evolved into the shorter form "You can't have your cake and eat it". It still works, it's just ambiguous. But being a phrase, its literal meaning isn't really that important tbh. Like the whole rock and a whirlpool/hard place and being between Scylla and Charybdis thing and their relation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Blush_01 wrote:

Overtired is a word. You get well used to the word overtired when you're around small kids.

Yes, it's common parenting jargon which is why they use it in the ad - the kids are acting like parents.

This thread rocks btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

"T'is far from cappachinnos/[insert whatever] ye were "rared".:) It's only lately that I realise it was reared and not rared.

Advertisement