Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I turn my sound back on??

• 30-03-2006 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Really dumbass question but I've somehow turned off the sound on my PC (monitor has inbuilt speakers & I'm running Windows 2000) and can't for the life of me figure how to get it back!!!

All help welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

did you try the buttons on the front/side?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Try double clicking the 'speaker' icon on the bottom right of the screen (beside the clock). This will bring up a window with all of the different volume levels on your computer. Adjust as necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

No idea at all how you turned it off? Look at the bottom right corner of the desktop and see if you can find a little speaker symbol. Click and the volume options will come up. That'll help if you've somehow managed to turn the mute on...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Try this:

Start - Control Panel - Sounds and Audio devices

This should open up Sound and Audio Poperties. Under the volume tab make sure that Mute isn't ticked and move the volume slider to the desired setting.

Im running Windows 2000 at the moment and this works for me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I've actually tried all of those & no joy - the speaker icon has vanished from my little tray on the RHS, and I did get into my control panel and the option to "de-mute" or adjust the volume is greyed out.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

start -> run -> sndvol32
    hit enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is there any devices listed under Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel? If not then try re-installing the drivers for your soundcard

rkm wrote:
    start -> run -> sndvol32
    hit enter

I've just been told that there are no active mixer devices.... please help!!!

To elaborate on Ruus suggestion:

Start - Control Panel - Sound and Audio properties - Select the Audio TAB

check that the default device corresponds to your soundcard. If this doesn't work then re-install your sound card drivers.

Reason for edit - My first version was so full of spelling errors I was embarassed

Mad Mike wrote:
    To elaborate on Ruus suggestion:

Start - Control Panel - Sound and Audio properties - Select the Audio TAB
    check that the default device corresponds to your soundcard. If this doesn't work then re-install your sound card drivers.

Got into Start - Control Panel - Sound and Audio properties - Select the Audio TAB. My default device is Modem#0 line playback

Now I am blonde when it comes to my work pc (I've a Dell @ home which I can figure out). This system was "built" for us by our old computer company so I've no idea how to reinstall sound card drivers etc.

• Advertisement

Mad Mike wrote:
    My first version was so full of spelling errors I was embarassed
    embarrassed

Your drivers arent selected in the sound and audio properties

OR

Your devices arent installed.

What exactly did you do to break it?

rkm wrote:
    embarrassed

Your drivers arent selected in the sound and audio properties

OR

Your devices arent installed.

What exactly did you do to break it?[/QUOTE]

Buggered if I know - I've had this PC for 3 years so it's not as if it's been faulty from the off.

babaduck wrote:
    Got into Start - Control Panel - Sound and Audio properties - Select the Audio TAB. My default device is Modem#0 line playback
    For the default device for sound playback, what are the options in the drop down box?

rkm wrote:
    embarrassed

Doubly embarrassed.

It seems that your modem is being selected as the default sound card - see if you have a choice of something with a more sound card like name in that drop down box.

If you don't then its probably a re-install jobbie unfortunately.

There's nothing else in the drop down box, so how can I reinstall the drivers - would my Dell drivers cd from my home pc work? (probably not....:( )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you'll be able to get them on www.driverguide.com and bring them home

Dell sound card drivers are unlikely to work as there is a wide variety of sound devices out there.

Your first problem is to determine what type of sound device you have. Once you know that you can go to the manufacturer or a site like driverguide.com to get an up to date driver.

Nowadays most PCs don't even have seperate sound card - they use a sound chip built into the motherboard. Have a look at the back of your PC and look to see where the speakers are plugged into. Are they plugged in amongst the assorted motherboard connectors (network, USB, Keyboard, Mouse etc) or are they plugged into a seperate card in one of the expansion card slots? If they are plugged into the motherboard we need to find out what motherboard you have. If tey are plugged into a seperate card we need to determine what type of sound card it is.

Another thing you should do is check the device manager - even if the sound card driver is borked there should still be an entry in the device manager telling us that "something" is there.

Start - RIGHT CLICK on MY Computer - Properties - Hardware Tab - Device Manager

In Device Maanger select: View - Devices by type
    Expand the section Sound Video and Game controllers and tell us what you see.

Also look around for any devices with Question Marks (Meaning they have a problem) or with a red X (meaning it is diabled).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

I had this problem when I installed skype. Somehow it overwrote my sound drivers. so i uninstalled, the sound came back then i re-installed skype and hey presto it worked.

maybe there was a problem with a recent application or new device via usb or firewire that is clashing with your sound card?

Try re-installing your latest programme and unplugging any nescessary periphirals

Mad Mike wrote:
    In Device Maanger select: View - Devices by type
    Expand the section Sound Video and Game controllers and tell us what you see.

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Standard Game Port
    Unimodem half duplex audio device
    Video codecs
    Mad Mike wrote:
    Also look around for any devices with Question Marks (Meaning they have a problem) or with a red X (meaning it is diabled).
    Multimedia Audio Control (has a yellow ? beside it)

• Advertisement

babaduck wrote:
    Multimedia Audio Control (has a yellow ? beside it)
    That would be your audio device...
    You'll need to reinstall the drivers like Mad Mike said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

:o Did you check your Bios when you turn the machine on first,maybe the sound card has died or something.
    If the bios doesn't pick it up ,nothing will.

apologies for above,i didn't see the last 2 posts:o

OK your Sound driver has problem - indicated by yellow X.

Right click on the multimedia audio control in device manager and select properties. Under the driver tab hit update driver (warning this may reboot your computer so save anything first). Use the default options to see if it can find the correct driver all by itself (it had to be on your PC once right?).

If it cannot find the correct driver by itself then we need to identifythe sound device

Step one: Did you check if the sound was on motehrboard or an add in card?

Step two: In device manager right click on the multimedia audio controller - hit properties and look through the tabs for some hints as to the manufacturer and type of device.

Advertisement