Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super training results with green juice

• 14-03-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,
    I did Mount Juliet half marathon in Feb and finished with my best time since my peak 3 years ago.
    I started drinking green veg juice on 1st Jan, shed my extra stone in 5 weeks and blew myself away with my training performance. I also started growing my own wheatgrass and take a shot every morning. It is powerful stuff.
    I'm looking now to get focused on duathlon/triathlon. Any training tips or advice?
    I'm bursting to move to the next level

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi

What exactly is you "drinking green veg juice "

And I'd like more info on how you grew your own wheatgrass?

Thansk in advance.

b

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fascinating stuff.

Any particular green veggies that are more powerful than others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Fascinating stuff.

Any particular green veggies that are more powerful than others?

Spinach, did you learn nothing from watching Popeye !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 energuy

yes I am fond of the spinach like popeye.
    The green juice I make is nothing too unusual, but it sure works a treat.
    3 celery sticks
    half a cucumber
    3 handfuls spinach leaves
    thumb sized piece of fresh ginger
    1/4 of a lime - take out the pips
    you can add 1/2 of a green apple for taste initially but I have cut this out now, for low sugar
    I started with this and then began growing my own wheatgrass which dramatically boosted my performance. I either add some to my juice and I take a shot of wheatgrass everyday. It is incredible stuff.
    The whole thing works by cleansing the blood with plant sterols - the component you see advertised in all these cholesterol lowering yoghurts etc but you are not getting the sugars, just the super powers!
    All the nutrition is wasted and enzymes destroyed if you use a centrifugal juicer, too fast and too hot. Use a masticating juicer and you get all the goodness.

Oldscoil, re growing wheatgrass
    I just sow my seed in a tray and cover for 3 days, then mist it twice a day for 7-10 days. I usually have a couple of trays on the go, at different stages. Very easy. I find the crop is better if you actually soak the seed in warm water overnight before sowing. And I use organic soil!
    It is too expensive to buy ready grown. €9 for a large bag. I get a 1kg bag of seed for €3, which does 5 trays. Also, when you cut it fresh from your own tray, you are sure to be getting more energy as it is still full of life. It is enjoyable too, watching your own crop grow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I find a morning glass of turtle blood can significantly increase the benefits of veg juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

So that's what those cyclists mean by "juicing"!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

energuy wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I did Mount Juliet half marathon in Feb and finished with my best time since my peak 3 years ago.
    I started drinking green veg juice on 1st Jan, shed my extra stone in 5 weeks and blew myself away with my training performance. I also started growing my own wheatgrass and take a shot every morning. It is powerful stuff.
    I'm looking now to get focused on duathlon/triathlon. Any training tips or advice?
    I'm bursting to move to the next level

Not sure if serious....

Get a good swim coach. Possibly join PB3 swim sessions if you are living in the Dublin area.

Most importantly, visualize your self as the 2013 National Series champion and it will be come true.. believe in the power of positive mental attitude and drink the green juice. Go to the next level!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Now I'm confused.

Which is better? Green juice or the red beet juice that everyone was pushing last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Now I'm confused.

Which is better? Green juice or the red beet juice that everyone was pushing last year?

I hear the pros are mixing the two to make designer brown sludge.

It won't show up in a blood test bit it's easily identified with a stool sample.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Now I'm confused.

now, red juice is much better when you want to see what energy systems you are using since red beet juice has RVE ( of course you have to do a metabolic test if you want that to work) . whereas the TBE you find in green juice and especially in wheat grass will help you to feel better how much faster you get since it is very constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Briando wrote: »
    Not sure if serious....

Get a good swim coach. Possibly join PB3 swim sessions if you are living in the Dublin area.

Most importantly, visualize your self as the 2013 National Series champion and it will be come true.. believe in the power of positive mental attitude and drink the green juice. Go to the next level!

Reading a great book at the moment on the power of negative thinking. have to say it makes perfect sense. Happiness through negative thinking. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Limes have pips? :confused:

Limes have pips? :confused:

Unless its a Jaffa, there's got to be seeds somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Jaffa?? You mean Jaffa Cakes?? Now we're talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Masticating, mmmmmmm :P

I find green juice works best when you bathe in it twice per day

Unless it's a naturally occurring parthenocarpic fruit, which doesn't have or need seeds (like for example, a lime). Not a fan of Mojitos then?!

Not a fan of Mojitos then?!

Ever since Miami Vice I love 'em!! Just get someone else to make them :)

Unless it's a naturally occurring parthenocarpic fruit, which doesn't have or need seeds (like for example, a lime). Not a fan of Mojitos then?!

Except the lime isn't. Persian limes are seedless, key limes aren't. Persian limes were cultivated a few hundred years ago. Some prefer the bitterness of key limes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

energuy wrote: »
    Oldscoil, re growing wheatgrass
    I just sow my seed in a tray and cover for 3 days, then mist it twice a day for 7-10 days. I usually have a couple of trays on the go, at different stages. Very easy. I find the crop is better if you actually soak the seed in warm water overnight before sowing. And I use organic soil!
    It is too expensive to buy ready grown. €9 for a large bag. I get a 1kg bag of seed for €3, which does 5 trays. Also, when you cut it fresh from your own tray, you are sure to be getting more energy as it is still full of life. It is enjoyable too, watching your own crop grow!
    Do you mind me asking where you buy it?

• Advertisement

What if you juice green Haribo? Just as good?

tunney wrote: »

Nothing's as good as Haribo!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Just don't go juicing Green Jelly Babies. The Green (lime flavoured) Jelly Babies are known as Boofuls and can be seen crying on the cover of Jelly Baby packets.
    The tears of Jelly Babies are known to be particularly high in sodium which can lead to increased levels in your blood stream.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelly_Babies
    source for the last sentence: some dark recess of my imagination.

This thread is side-slipping nicely into a subforum of the Cuckoo's Nest...

johnk123 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you buy it?

I get my seed from greenvalu.ie and you can get regular compost at any garden centre. I like to use organic compost. Best thing is to have two trays on the go at once, you never run out of it that way.

Except the lime isn't. Persian limes are seedless, key limes aren't. Persian limes were cultivated a few hundred years ago. Some prefer the bitterness of key limes.
    You know a key lime is yellow right? Had one recently?!

Advertisement