Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

Did they actually interview homes and Connelly or did they just give them the job as there was no other nominations ?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I would like to think that's a line drawn under the whole thing and matters return to what's important- retaining division 1 status and blooding a few players.

I can't help feeling though, McStay and his denied proposals will cast a long shadow over the next couple of years....

I don't see that happening to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

naughto wrote: »
    Did they actually interview homes and Connelly or did they just give them the job as there was no other nominations ?

It seems the criteria to get the job was not to be the best, but make sure you're not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭jonny d

ASSISTANT TREASURER OF MAYO COUNTY BOARD RESIGNS

The Assistant Treasurer of the Mayo County Board has resigned from his position today. Midwest Sport understands that Michael Diskin informed Chairman Paddy McNicholas of his decision last night after the County Board meeting.
    Mr Diskin is said to be very unhappy with the handling of the appointment of the senior management team.
    At last night’s meeting the Chairman accepted that mistakes had been made in the process and it may have appeared clumsy. However he said there was never anything sinister in the decision to recommend Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes.
    Mr Diskin is the second member of the executive to resign over the matter – Culture Officer Gerry Bourke resigned on Monday night.
    Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes were ratified at the meeting last night with no one voting against their appointment.

From MWR Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't see that happening to be honest

It already has with his jibe towards the players regarding the brother in law's comments.

One thing McStay is not short of is available media platforms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Of course they met them. Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

seligehgit wrote: »
    The mob you speak of on here simply want transparency and accountability.An explanation of why proper procedures were'nt followed should be furnished.Why on earth can't an outline re the package be revealed if it was on such a prohibitive scale(no specifics required)?Surely the delegates are entitled to form an opinion on this themselves.

Confidentiality clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Panrich wrote: »
    I'd say that this will force McStay to comment further. He's been branded as a fool by the chairman tonight.

You going to elaborate on this?

Rockfish wrote: »
    You going to elaborate on this?

OK. The chairman said that McStay put forward a package that no right thinking man could accept. In other words, by inference, only a fool would put forward such a 'calamitous' set of plans. I'm sure that I could have put forward a proposal that would meet basic criteria of avoiding the scorn of 'right thinking' people or being labelled 'calamitous' and I'm not an AI club winning manager.
    It must have been particularly hurtful to have your ideas ridiculed so publicly as McStays were last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

OK. The chairman said that McStay put forward a package that no right thinking man could accept. In other words, by inference, only a fool would put forward such a 'calamitous' set of plans. I'm sure that I could have put forward a proposal that would meet basic criteria of avoiding the scorn of 'right thinking' people or being labelled 'calamitous' and I'm not an AI club winning manager.
    It must have been particularly hurtful to have your ideas ridiculed so publicly as McStays were last night.

Nobody ridiculed his ideas - it was his "package" that was not acceptable, and that package presumably involved more than ideas.

Anyway, let Kevin McStay come on the record and let us in to the secret of this package if he wishes, otherwise the Chairman has to respect what seems to be his wish for confidentiality.

In any case, we are where we are, and while things were handled clumsily, I don't see any intentional malice so therefore, it's time to move on.

On another note, some of the journalists reporting from the CB meeting via twitter last night showed a lack of decorum and professionalism in my opinion. When they should be reporting facts, they gave their own opinion which didn't reflect the content of the McNicholas statement nor the proceedings at the meeting for that matter. Fair play to Angelina Nugent on MWR this morning. She read the main points at least of the statement and commented on it in a very balanced and fair way.

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    Nobody ridiculed his ideas - it was his "package" that was not acceptable, and that package presumably involved more than ideas.

Anyway, let Kevin McStay come on the record and let us in to the secret of this package if he wishes, otherwise the Chairman has to respect what seems to be his wish for confidentiality.

In any case, we are where we are, and while things were handled clumsily, I don't see any intentional malice so therefore, it's time to move on.

On another note, some of the journalists reporting from the CB meeting via twitter last night showed a lack of decorum and professionalism in my opinion. When they should be reporting facts, they gave their own opinion which didn't reflect the content of the McNicholas statement nor the proceedings at the meeting for that matter. Fair play to Angelina Nugent on MWR this morning. She read the main points at least of the statement and commented on it in a very balanced and fair way.

I've a different view. If nobody in their right mind could accept my plans, I'd feel very ridiculed and a fool to boot.

I've a different view. If nobody in their right mind could accept my plans, I'd feel very ridiculed and a fool to boot.

Well to quote McStay himself in recent times, if his feelings are a bit hurt, "God love him"!! I'm sure he'll get over it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭boosabum

Panrich,

if your plans involved compensation, expenses and jobs for the boys they you should feel ridiculous for presenting them in the first place.

Well to quote McStay himself in recent times, if his feelings are a bit hurt, "God love him"!! I'm sure he'll get over it! :pac:

Let's hope so. I'd certainly be tempted to give my tuppence worth if it was me though in the certain knowledge that I wasn't going to be in the running for the job for the foreseeable future (or more probably ever).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well many of us would have likeed it if there was another "manager" on the sideline along with Horan a few times during his tenure.

Trouble is if one man is pretty stubborn then where do you go ?
    A good manager has to be able to see when they may be wrong and listen to ideas.

Of course someone mentioned Cloughie here and there is a funny story about him willing to listen to ideas from players, etc before of course he discounted them. :D
    So to sum up.

The nominated candidates were McStay and Connelly/Holmes.

Each had give a presentation of what they would do and what they needed.

A committee agreed that both should be interviewed.

Paddy Mc decided (and others may have thought this way too) that what was being requested by McStay was not realistic.
    So he calls McStay to tell him as much and that the other pair are likely to get the job.
    McStay says fine I'm not changing the package.

Nice spin on it.
    Wasn't it up to the committee to interview him and then report back, not up to the chairman to start phoning candidates outside of the agreed interview process.
    Would that happen in other job application processes ?
    Then a few PR disasters on Saturday night and now Connelly/Holmes are ratified without the expected bloodbath at the CB.

It wasn't a little PR disaster, there was an offical statement issued which lied about the fact the executive had been consulted.
    That is serious and undermines all the officers of the CB.
    All happy ?

I think the chairman glossed over or made light of his responsibility when he claimed he only bore "some" of the responsibility.
    He created the mess and made the CB look like a bunch of incompetents who fixed the managerial succession.

So he should do the decent thing and resign.

Of course this is Ireland where people never resign when they fook up even when in much worse circumstances than this.

boosabum wrote: »
    Panrich,

if your plans involved compensation, expenses and jobs for the boys they you should feel ridiculous for presenting them in the first place.

Maybe he is a fool then. If he doesn't explain his position now then he leaves himself open to that type of charge. If we hear nothing from him we must assume that his plans were outrageous and that's not ideal. The chairmans statements last night have forced McStay to respond or else his silence will mean that he accepts the chairmans accusations. Time will tell the tale.

Your not the fella who stood up at the meeting last night an licked the hole of mcnicholas by any chance?

Your not the fella who stood up at the meeting last night an licked the hole of mcnicholas by any chance?

I used to respect your contributions but in fairness that's a pretty pathetic contribution that I won't even dignify with a response. It's a pity that one can't have an opinion round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭neiphin

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Ballina 2-7 Westport 0-10

Ger Cafferky had a good game for Ballina, made some great catches and runs towards the end of the game at a crucial point when it was all square.

David Clarke prevented extra time twice at the end with two excellent saves, his kickouts were very good too, nearly always picked out his man.

Evan Regan had a reasonably good game, scored 1-4 but kicked alot of wides and seemed to be carrying the ball into the tackle too much.

Lee Keegan did not look himself today seemed to be down and out, looks like a man who needs a few months off.

Kevin Keane started at midfield, but never really got into the game, was subbed at half time.

Belmullet 0-06 Hollymount Carramore 1-09

Poor first half in this game was 4-3 to Belmullet @ half time. Both Coen's did quite well for Hollymount in the second half.

Chris Barret had a good game but the Belmullet fowards really let them down squandering chance after chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jmayo wrote: »
    Trouble is if one man is pretty stubborn then where do you go ?
    A good manager has to be able to see when they may be wrong and listen to ideas.

People seem to forget that these guys have worked successfully together as joint managers before.

I'd say they know each others personalities at this stage.

And I'd say they are clear on which roles each take.

It not as if its a series of Big Brother with wildly different personallities all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Castlebar 0-4 Garrymore 0-0, nearly half-time.

Midwest saying that the jerseys are very similar and that players are giving the ball away because of it.

Second half underway, 6-3 to Mitchells who have changed to a white kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Full Time Castlebar 1-14 Garrymore 1-11

Ballintubber up by 18 points against Knockmore at half-time. 7-6 to 1-6

All three O'Connor brothers tearing them apart. Some hammering.

Another goal for Ballintuber scored by Ruaidhri O'Connor, that's all four brothers who have scored goals today!

And another goal for Cillian, 9 goals scored :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Another goal for Ballintuber scored by Ruaidhri O'Connor, that's all four brothers who have scored goals today!

And another goal for Cillian, 9 goals scored :pac:

4 goal O'Connor's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Castlebar 0-4 Garrymore 0-0, nearly half-time.

Midwest saying that the jerseys are very similar and that players are giving the ball away because of it.

1st half

countysemifinal1_zps2a7930e1.jpg

2nd Half

countysemifinal2_zpsb5816682.jpg

1st half

countysemifinal1_zps2a7930e1.jpg

2nd Half

countysemifinal2_zpsb5816682.jpg

That's a farce. How could they start the game with such an obvious clash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's a farce. How could they start the game with such an obvious clash?

Because its Mayo GAA.

September is farce month at Mayo GAA :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement