Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurler of the Year 2012

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

What if you were 27? You'd hardly be young player of the year then?

Nah, 2007 we won the league and bet Limerick by 9 points in Munster Final, before losing to them in the All-Ireland semi by 5 points.

2010 we beat Cork in the Munster Final after a replay.

Hmm there was indeed a year ye bet Cork maybe 05/06 was abroad for it I remember. May not even have been a replay am a bit asleep today :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What if you were 27? You'd hardly be young player of the year then?

Nah, 2007 we won the league and bet Limerick by 9 points in Munster Final, before losing to them in the All-Ireland semi by 5 points.

Pretty sure in 07 Waterford beat cork in the AI quarter final after a replay. The year where donal og was penalised for lying on the ball and the free resulted in the equalising score late on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

adrian522 wrote: »
    Pretty sure in 07 Waterford beat cork in the AI quarter final after a replay. The year where donal og was penalised for lying on the ball and the free resulted in the equalising score late on.

You are indeed correct, that's probably what he was thinking of. I thought he meant 2010 because he said Munster Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

You are indeed correct, that's probably what he was thinking of. I thought he meant 2010 because he said Munster Final.

Yeah meant that. Sorry was completely thinking from the top of my head so didn't remember which game/ if it was right year

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Yeah meant that. Sorry was completely thinking from the top of my head so didn't remember which game/ if it was right year

No worries, hard to keep track of us beating Cork, happens so often ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I don't want to go off-topic but looking back on it, I think both sides would have been happier if those results had been swapped. Don't get me wrong, that win over Waterford is probably the best game I've ever been at from a Limerick pov, it was unbelievable. But...the last Munster we won was 96...I don't even remember that properly. Waterford have won loads of Munsters (well a good few). Realistically we were never going to beat KK...Waterford felt that was their year to do it.

There's always next year though. And at the moment when the final whistle went, I'd never have swapped that feeling of elation for anything (bar an all-ireland victory).

But back on topic...so technically someone like Paudie O'Brien could win YHOTY even though he's 22? I'm quite disappointed Hannon didn't get a proper run at it, I really thought this would be his year to shine.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I don't want to go off-topic but looking back on it, I think both sides would have been happier if those results had been swapped. Don't get me wrong, that win over Waterford is probably the best game I've ever been at from a Limerick pov, it was unbelievable. But...the last Munster we won was 96...I don't even remember that properly. Waterford have won loads of Munsters (well a good few). Realistically we were never going to beat KK...Waterford felt that was their year to do it.

There's always next year though. And at the moment when the final whistle went, I'd never have swapped that feeling of elation for anything (bar an all-ireland victory).

But back on topic...so technically someone like Paudie O'Brien could win YHOTY even though he's 22? I'm quite disappointed Hannon didn't get a proper run at it, I really thought this would be his year to shine.

But sure Hannon could still win it next year!

Agree about 2007, but only if we'd won the all-ireland. To me, a victory in Munster still means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Dan Shanahan in 2007.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Tony Browne won Hurler of the Year in 1998, despite the fact that Waterford didn't make the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kojak wrote: »
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, Tony Browne won Hurler of the Year in 1998, despite the fact that Waterford didn't make the final.

He did indeed. Some very scant consolation for Waterford in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I was in Australia for the 2007 championship, and after the epic games vs Cork, a win against Limerick felt like a formality to a certain extent. I'm not saying that is how the county felt at all, but it just felt like it was meant to be. Fair play to Limerick, the semi-final was a blitz, but the following years win against Tipp more than made up for it. If only the finals were decided on the flip of a coin... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Any man of the match display in the final would put any player in with a chance of being named POTY, but up to this point, its got to be Joe Canning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Would Galway people feel Joe has been their best/ most influential player so far this year? I'd question that one myself. he's been good no doubt, but what has made the difference for Galway is how the players around him have stood up to the mark and I think that should be recognised. I'd not question he's been in their top three players, and possibly has been their best. But I'd say for example David Burke has had a great season too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

Would of liked to see Bonnor Maher up there I think he played well considering he just came back from injury

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Any man of the match display in the final would put any player in with a chance of being named POTY, but up to this point, its got to be Joe Canning?

Didn't Taggy Fogarty of Kilkenny get Man of the Match in the All-Ireland in 2006 against Cork,but didn't even get an All-Star

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    He did indeed. Some very scant consolation for Waterford in recent years.

14 years ago ain't so recent :p
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I was in Australia for the 2007 championship, and after the epic games vs Cork, a win against Limerick felt like a formality to a certain extent. I'm not saying that is how the county felt at all, but it just felt like it was meant to be. Fair play to Limerick, the semi-final was a blitz, but the following years win against Tipp more than made up for it. If only the finals were decided on the flip of a coin... :o

I remember seeing a Limerick man and his son at the dart station and thinking 'why did they bother coming?'. Can't believe how complacent/arrogant that was in hindsight but I guess a lot of us probably thought we had the hard part done in beating Cork. I don't think complacency was the team's issue, they just hadn't much in the tank, and to be fair Limerick were so up for the game and played above themselves.

Was Aidan Fogarty played much in 2006? I seem to have this notion that he hadn't really played up to the final? It's all based on who you are though as well. Fogarty plays one game all year, and it's an all-ireland, no all-star. Shefflin does, definited all-star. I wouldn't question most of his all-stars mind, just maybe the one in 2003. But I definitely think there has been a few cases of the high profile getting you the nod of the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Would Galway people feel Joe has been their best/ most influential player so far this year? I'd question that one myself. he's been good no doubt, but what has made the difference for Galway is how the players around him have stood up to the mark and I think that should be recognised. I'd not question he's been in their top three players, and possibly has been their best. But I'd say for example David Burke has had a great season too.

Best and most influential yes. He was the architect of the wins over KK and Cork (and helped win the replay over Dublin in the relegation also.) Apart from scoring, he makes a lot of the play and lifts others around him also. David Burke has had a fine season also, including the league run, while Cyril Donnellan has been having a fine championship until injury-interruption. Refreshing from a Galway POV has been that practically all the players have stood up and been counted for. (Mind you , I thought the same after the COrk match in Limerick also). Long may this continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Not voting till you add an option for JJ Delaney :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Didn't Taggy Fogarty of Kilkenny get Man of the Match in the All-Ireland in 2006 against Cork,but didn't even get an All-Star

My own recollection was that he played very poorly all year(pretty sure it was his first year) and was substituted in every game. People couldn't understand why Cody stuck with him but he was unreal in the All-Ireland. Deserved MotM but not an All-Star

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

OAOB wrote: »
    My own recollection was that he played very poorly all year(pretty sure it was his first year) and was substituted in every game. People couldn't understand why Cody stuck with him but he was unreal in the All-Ireland. Deserved MotM but not an All-Star

You could be right, I can't really remember how he got on that year apart from the final. I think it was his second year on the panel,first year starting

Advertisement