Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puppy Vaccination question

• 25-04-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi folks

We bought a King Charles Cavalier puppy about 3 weeks ago and when we got her we were given all her vaccination paperwork. The seller told us she was due for her 2nd set of injections on the the 20th of april and when we brought her to the vet she said the the original vaccinations were given at the wrong times and we would have to bring her back for a 3rd set of injections in another 2 weeks. Does this sound right ?

Timeline for the vaccinations

6 weeks - Vanguard CPV-L & Vanguard DA2Pi (Given by seller)

12 Weeks - Nobivac Lepto 2 & Nobivac DHPPi (Given by vet)

14 weeks - Due to go back for further vaccinations

And the vet told us we could not bring her out untill a week after the next set of injections - poor dog is getting cabin fever !

Does this all sound ok ? I don't want to take any risks but I don't want to be hoodwinked eithier !!

Thanks folks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Hi folks

We bought a King Charles Cavalier puppy about 3 weeks ago and when we got her we were given all her vaccination paperwork. The seller told us she was due for her 2nd set of injections on the the 20th of april and when we brought her to the vet she said the the original vaccinations were given at the wrong times and we would have to bring her back for a 3rd set of injections in another 2 weeks. Does this sound right ?

And the vet told us we could not bring her out untill a week after the next set of injections - poor dog is getting cabin fever !

Does this all sound ok ? I don't want to take any risks but I don't want to be hoodwinked eithier !!

Thanks folks

I have a 9 week cocker. The breeder bought her to a vet and she got her first vaccs at 7 weeks. (Parvovirus Vanguard CPV vacc) I checked her vacc record and she didn't get her Vanguard DA2Pi yet for some reason.

I collected the pup at 8 weeks and I got my local vet to check her over. He told me to come back tomorrow (9 weeks) to get her 2nd vaccs. (I am assuming she is getting the Vanguard DA2Pi. And maybe the Nobivac vacc.)

She'll have to come back for her 3rd vacc at a later stage - I think its 12/14 weeks. After that she can be bought outside in the real world for walks etc.

So all-in-all I think what you listed in your post is correct. I think all pups need 3 vaccs and that they can't be taken outside the house until they get the 3rd vacc.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

Thanks paul - was getting worried !! Do you know when it will be completely safe to bring our dog for a walk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Hi folks

Thanks folks

Certain vaccines have to be repeated in order for them to work (just like in humans), also the age of pup has to be taken into account. What the vet has suggested sounds about right. Also, not all vaccs given by the breeders are recognised by vets, as it is not administered by a vet, there are no guarantees that it would have been administered properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thanks paul - was getting worried !! Do you know when it will be completely safe to bring our dog for a walk ?

I think its after the 3rd and final vacc. Around the 12 week mark. You may know this already but you can only take your pup for small walks i.e. the general rule is 5 minutes for every month old - so 12 weeks = 15 minutes max - and you need to take into account any playtime in the back garden. (All of this is do with bone structure development in pups - too much exercise too early can mess up their bones.)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

First of all- the 7 in one vaccines are not reliable when given at 6 weeks of age(even though some are licenced for administration at 6 weeks). Many breeders will give Parvo and Lepto, although there may still be some maternal antibodies in the pup's system which will kill off the vaccine. Second, all brands of vaccine need a booster (primarily for Lepto, but getting all 7 boostered is important too) 2-4 weeks after primary vaccine (so vaccines given at 6 and 12 weeks come too far apart). The best vaccination protocols start at 8 weeks and get boosters at 10-12 weeks. To keep your pup safe, you need to leave it a few days after the 2nd (or 3rd if required) booster before you walk him outside so that his immune system can respond to the vaccine. If the breeder did the vaccination I would NEVER trust it- if the vaccines are not kept refridgerated or are mixed and not given immediately they may be ineffective, etc, etc. It also means that the pup never had a vet checkup before you got it.
    Good luck with your new addition!

• Advertisement
Advertisement