Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Engineering Thesis

• 18-09-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm currently doing my final year in Civil Engineering and generating ideas for my thesis.

I have no idea what field to research and do my thesis in at the moment. But were given the following fields to base our thesis on structural, environmental, renewable energy,water/waste water and highways/freeways transportation

Does anyone know of any interesting/relevant topics which I could do this on relating to the various topics mentioned above??

Thanks in advance, any help is gratefully appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Lydon2k10 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently doing my final year in Civil Engineering and generating ideas for my thesis.

I have no idea what field to research and do my thesis in at the moment. But were given the following fields to base our thesis on structural, environmental, renewable energy,water/waste water and highways/freeways transportation

Does anyone know of any interesting/relevant topics which I could do this on relating to the various topics mentioned above??

Thanks in advance, any help is gratefully appreciated!!

I really think you need to narrow it down to one or two of the above mentioned topics. Like which area do you prefer the most or achieve the highest grades in?

Also I assume its an undergrad thesis your doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

cozzie55 wrote: »
    I really think you need to narrow it down to one or two of the above mentioned topics. Like which area do you prefer the most or achieve the highest grades in?

Also I assume its an undergrad thesis your doing?

Also consider the lecturer you think you might best work with as a supervisor. Having a topic you're interested in, along with a supervisor you can discuss the project with is important to the projects success.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

budhabob wrote: »
    Also consider the lecturer you think you might best work with as a supervisor. Having a topic you're interested in, along with a supervisor you can discuss the project with is important to the projects success.

+1 definitely keep in mind the lecturers. None of them will have any interest in your topic if its not relevant to their own research in some way shape or form

You could always continue along the lines of my thesis topic of wood welding if you wanted..... i wouldn't really recommend it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I'm actually in the same situation, thinking of:

Evaluation, health monitoring and repair techniques for existing structures

Deformation and failure of soils and foundations

Evaluation of oil rig structures

I still haven't talked to any of the lecturers yet so thats gonna happen on monday. Hopefully they can give me a bit more info/direction.
    I'd love to do something on the oil rig but might be a bit away from the lecturers knowledge....
    Bar that the existing structures would be good.

I know the developer of a big enough project that is to be done in the next year or two and probably can get in touch with the engineer working on that, possibly that would be good to take some aspect of that seems that its the one job I'd hopefully land post-college, would be great to have my theses done on the project that I'm possibly going to get a job on, be great to be walking into a job having a theses, if I do actually get the job;)
    Any feed back would be great as obviously this is pretty important at the moment to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Set up a Profile on LinkedIn, and join the civil engineering and thesis groups - That way you'll see what the hot topics are.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3470204&mostPopular=&trk=tyah

• Advertisement

signed up, going to see if I can get any help there, still though any help here would be apprieciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Equium

Does your college not prescribe a list of recommended thesis titles? I could send you the list that my college published last year if you like.

Just talked to my lecturers, going to do it on pyrite I think.

I am wondering is there any suggestions on what angle to take of pyrite, what kind of testing could be done in the labs, what remedial work to be analyzed etc....
    Any suggestions would be great, apologies for slightly highjacking thread OP!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Can the original poster please PM me? Something fishy going on here

Advertisement