Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Taylors Sandlewood is a delicious smell, deep and rich, so maybe more suited to winter months....
    Maybe Avocado is a good choice for warmer days.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Draupnir wrote: »
    1. The cream I got is great, I've been mixing it in a bowl with a small bit of water with my brush and making a lather. Is this the right/best way to be doing it?

Yes. When you have it well mixed, a kind of gentle slapping motion with the tip of the brush whips it up a bit and makes it creamier. Some people advise that you should spend about a minute and a half on the lather and I agree.
    Draupnir wrote: »
    2. Should I favour short or long strokes with the razor? Finding that short strokes means I need to re-apply the lather but at least that way I can get a good clean shave.

I don't think any two men shave the same way. After a few years shaving with a DE blade, I find that long strokes work on the flat parts of my face (like from the ear down to the jaw, and from the corner of the jaw to the chin) but short strokes are better on my upper lip. You will learn what suits you best. Just keep the contact of the blade with your skin as light as you can whatever stroke you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

After your initial mix, get your hot tap running as slowly as possible. Dribble, a little hot water into your lather. Whip with the brush, and repeat. Try and get plenty of moisture into the lather whilst aiming at whipped cream texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

So i placed my order for a Mühle R89 and the 50 blade sampler pack last night on shaving.ie (nice site, btw!) and i'm very much looking forward to it arriving!

Not sure about a cream (i've gone back to that bog standard Palmolive stuff, which certainly works better than that goo in a can rubbish i was using so will stick with that 'til the tube is used at least) - what blade would ye recommend for my first ever DE shave? I've been watching plenty of videos about the actual shave and i'm putting aside extra time for re-learning how to shave, just wondering what blades would be good as 'training wheels'? (from reading around the thread a bit, i'll probably cleave my head off with the Feathers!)

Cheers folks :)

Edit - i basically asked the same question twice, sorry! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd recommend starting with the Astra or Personna blades.

Nothing wrong with the Palmolive cream - at the price it sells for it is unbeatable. Pick up a stick of the Palmolive shaving soap as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had my last 3 shaves with a Personna blade (experimenting with the 50 blade sampler too, even though I already enjoy the Feather blades) and I like the way it feels.

So far I've found the first 2 passes great and the third a bit more bloody. :pac: Good prep makes a big difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

I had my last 3 shaves with a Personna blade (experimenting with the 50 blade sampler too, even though I already enjoy the Feather blades) and I like the way it feels.

So far I've found the first 2 passes great and the third a bit more bloody. :pac: Good prep makes a big difference though.

I still have to give you a sample of floid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

source wrote: »
    I still have to give you a sample of floid.

No rush. The Speick is lasting ages anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

I just started using my starter kit from shaving.ie with a timor bronze safety razor. Great smooth shave, its amazing the difference when I actually take the time to prepare my skin first.

I'm DE shaving about five years now. I was abroad for the weekend and had to bring an electric razor because I had only carry-on luggage. Useless yoke. I couldn't wait to get home and get that clean smooth feeling that only a wet shave with a good blade can give.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend starting with the Astra or Personna blades.

Nothing wrong with the Palmolive cream - at the price it sells for it is unbeatable. Pick up a stick of the Palmolive shaving soap as well.

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated :)

Have a stick of Palmolive soap already - i've always been into doing the prep stage, it's just i've always used a lame razor. Good to know the cream is reasonable enough quality, it seems to suit my skin pretty well, have no idea why i moved to canned-goo in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Michael G wrote: »
    I'm DE shaving about five years now. I was abroad for the weekend and had to bring an electric razor because I had only carry-on luggage. Useless yoke. I couldn't wait to get home and get that clean smooth feeling that only a wet shave with a good blade can give.

you could have brought your razor and brush and cream and bought a pack of blades you tight git:rolleyes:

investment wrote: »
    you could have brought your razor and brush and cream and bought a pack of blades you tight git:rolleyes:

I know that. I didn't want to risk having my razor confiscated by some jobsworth at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

I know that. I didn't want to risk having my razor confiscated by some jobsworth at Dublin Airport.

Brought mine through as carry on loads of times......with a blade in it, and never had any problems, and I'm the unluckiest person on the planet!!!

source wrote: »
    Brought mine through as carry on loads of times......with a blade in it, and never had any problems, and I'm the unluckiest person on the planet!!!

SEE SOURCE got it through and he is as soft as fcuk.....You're not a real man micheal G...I think you should go back to using your venus razor:D:D:D.....You don't deserve a safety razor

investment wrote: »
    SEE SOURCE got it through and he is as soft as fcuk.....You're not a real man micheal G...I think you should go back to using your venus razor:D:D:D.....You don't deserve a safety razor

Say that to me when I'm holding my Dovo straight :p

Well chaps, just had my first ever DE shave with the lovely Muhle R89, and i can't express how fantastic it was. I took my time with it (plus i had a month's worth of growth to go through too!), and just did my usual prep. The result? Absolutely zero razor burn, my face feels brilliant and i didn't even knick myself once. In my near 15 years of shaving, that was the single most enjoyable shave i've experienced (no doubt helped by the sheer quality of the R89).

Used an Astra blade for one side of my face, and a Gillete Super Stainless 7 O'Clock for the other; i preferred the latter, but both were more satisfying than any cartridge i've ever used.

Will probably never touch a cartridge for the rest of my life, and cheers for the advice on where to start - i'm an instant DE convert :)

Say that to me when I'm holding my Dovo straight :p

You just proved you're pussey:rolleyes:

Real men fight with their hands....The ladies lounge is that way>>>>

and After Hours is that way
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Are there any good Irish natural soaps for shaving that are chemical free? I looked online and most of them don't even bother to list the ingredients, which is frankly not one these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I know of one Irish made 'shaving'soap but I found it useless for shaving with.
    If you're looking for something without dodgy chemicals and highly effective for shaving I highly recommend http://www.nannyssillysoap.com/ps/category.php?id_category=6
    The soap maker is an Irish lady living in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The best Irish shaving soap I tried was Dr K shave soap. They have two scents, lime or peppermint so if you don't like either of those scents you're out of luck.

Well here is a blog that should be of use to you. It has reviews of 5 Irish made shave soaps.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    The best Irish shaving soap I tried was Dr K shave soap. They have two scents, lime or peppermint so if you don't like either of those scents you're out of luck.

Well here is a blog that should be of use to you. It has reviews of 5 Irish made shave soaps.

Lime soap looks nice.

I appear to be settling on the Gillette 7 O'Clocks. Fantastic shave ahoy!

Thanks Gran and Hitemfrank I will investigate.

I actually just ordered a load of samples from 'Mikes' shaving soap who is popular on Badger and Blade.

There is one Californian Organic maker I want to buy aswell, its called Tierra Mia Organic Goat milk http://www.tierramiaorganics.com/shaving-soap-for-men/

Ingredients: Raw Goat Milk, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Rice Bran Oil, Essential Oils, Raw Honey, Raw Beeswax and Zinc Oxide

Might not be as great for lather as not Tallow based but would be interested to try, ticks all the boxes 'natural' wise and more, with a good PH I'd say would be very sensitive on the face.

We have some history with the Irish Handmade Soap company, but so far they have not produced the goods.

Maybe try

http://www.mamabearssoaps.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I've actually been using that Sun Rose Garden soap that he reviews. I'm not an experienced shaver so I can't really give a solid review, but I find myself agreeing with everything he said; the soap looks and smells amazing, but the lather is quite thin and fades easily. I've still really enjoyed using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've actually been using that Sun Rose Garden soap that he reviews. I'm not an experienced shaver so I can't really give a solid review, but I find myself agreeing with everything he said; the soap looks and smells amazing, but the lather is quite thin and fades easily. I've still really enjoyed using it.

The blogger is a she :)

I've tried 2 of the 5 she has reviewed and agree with her opinions on The Handmade Soap Co and Dr K's Shave Soap.

The blogger is a she :)

I've tried 2 of the 5 she has reviewed and agree with her opinions on The Handmade Soap Co and Dr K's Shave Soap.

I msde that mistake in assuming too, great reviewage, much needed. I think I will buy some body soap from Dr. K too, there is a Stout one :)http://drksoap.com/handmade-soap/stout-and-charcoal/

I'm trying to ditch my SLS, Paraben, Surficant, stuffed shower gels, looking for a good shampoo too, so lookinbg out for good natural soaps and why not get Irish made ones if they are good?

I have a lot of Arko and Proraso to go through still though, might put some up for trade at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maximus82

Lads, I recently bought The Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit from shaving.ie with the Muhle R89. Just had my first shave with it and it did not go well.

My neck is in bits and cut myself loads of times. I ended up finishing off with my Mach3. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I used a Derby blade. I did find it difficult to handle and the stubble kept getting stuck in the razor after shaving so I had to keep loosening the blade to get out the hairs.

I'm half considering not using it again if this is the outcome but I cant ditch it yet having spent so much on it. Any help would be appreciated from the experts out there!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

A couple of things we need to know:

How may days growth or how long was the stubble?
    If the stubble is too long it can clog the head. One or two days is usually ok. Three of four and you need reduction passes first.

How moist was the cream? If the cream is too dry this can clog the head

Did you use oil?

What pattern did you follow? For three days growth I would do 2 with the grain, one across and one against, but against only on certain areas. I'm not a fan of going against on the neck as the skin is thinner and more easily irritated.

How much pressure? In general the weight of the head is sufficient for with the grain passes. For across and against you need to be conscious of the fact that you should use the minimum of pressure to keep the head against the skin.

If the handle is slipping rub your fingers with an alum block first. You can also use alumed fingers to stretch the skin.
    If you don't have an alum block yet it's a case of drying your fingers and the handle before starting.

At a guess if it is just our neck and you have a Mach 3 the issues are most likely the pressure and going against the grain.

If you haven't viewed the Mantic59 series on shaving they are highly recommended

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608

Stick with it. It is well worth it.

Advertisement