Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 5D III (X) ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Not a clue, I've gone thru a slump in my interest in photography the last 6 or so months, cept for gigs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

I know what you mean, atm I find it hard to motivate myself to take pics... for now (and for next year or so) im sticking with the 5dii,as someone mentioned the release of the 5diii hasn't turned the mkii into a ****e cam all of a sudden, and suits me for my landscapes and single portrait fav shots...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Watched the DigitalRev video. A rate button? What were they thinking.

Seems like a 5DII that wants to be a 7D, really. Looks like a 7D, has the same style buttons, layout, video/live view switch, etc. Wouldn't be falling over myself to buy it. Don't think I'll ever own it. Would hope that the 5DII will take a price tumble (or even the 5DI, as I'd like a full frame camera in my bag for the odd occasions it may get used) but seems that the current price point is going to leave the older models' prices untouched, unfortunately.

Ah well. Still think the 7D is the best value camera out there at the moment. I predict that I'll be shooting with a 7D for another 5-8 years (maybe not the same 7D, but a 7D in general).

maybe the 5d III threads can be merged ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/02/Canon-5D-Mark-III

A bit underwhelmed by the spec and shocked at the price, the MkII was €2500 when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Canon announce the 5D MkIII
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03...on-5D-Mark-III

A bit underwhelmed by the spec and shocked at the price, the MkII was €2500 when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

think they have the pricing wrong the d800 looks like a better camera to me and is priced significantly less

edit: just checked on connscameras website - mk3 is listed €700 more than the d800

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

It looks fairly outstanding. Build quality etc is going to be second to none, but it really does seem to be everything that should be expected of any modern release. I'm seriously excited to be going full frame and cant wait to get my 24-70 lens to back it up! I'll grab a sigma 50 1.4 (again....) and I know I'll feel that bit more complete on a full frame.

I just cant justify throwing an extra 1500 euro ontop of my 5Dmk2 price to get the features described here. If it came out at 2500-2650 area, I would have given it good though and probably went that extra mile.

I'd probably pick up a cropped sensor again if I was working in a style that might require the primes to double their usefulness, but thats a secondary thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It looks fairly outstanding. Build quality etc is going to be second to none, but it really does seem to be everything that should be expected of any modern release. I'm seriously excited to be going full frame and cant wait to get my 24-70 lens to back it up! I'll grab a sigma 50 1.4 (again....) and I know I'll feel that bit more complete on a full frame.

I just cant justify throwing an extra 1500 euro ontop of my 5Dmk2 price to get the features described here. If it came out at 2500-2650 area, I would have given it good though and probably went that extra mile.

I'd probably pick up a cropped sensor again if I was working in a style that might require the primes to double their usefulness, but thats a secondary thought

Well BHPhoto have it at $3500, which is around that in €, now fair enough customs would screw you if you got it online, but some guys on Ebay that sell from the UK get them at around the same price as BH....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Just went through the ordering process there on B&H just to see how much it would come to all in. You'd save the bones of €300 even after paying for B&H's quite pricey shipping and paying import duty upfront, which was about €900 all together.

We're being screwed as usual :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This is the answer I got from Berminghams when I asked why the price difference between the US and here

"The advertised prices in US do not include tax, whereas our price includes VAT @ 23% which all goes to the government. When you take this into account, the before tax price in both regions is almost identical at today's exchange rates. If you are VAT registered you can claim this back meaning there is no difference in price. And of course, you will only have a warranty in the US if you buy in the US. Not to mention our after-sales service including sensor cleaning and loan equipment when a camera is bought from ourselves."

Borderfox wrote: »
    This is the answer I got from Berminghams when I asked why the price difference between the US and here

"The advertised prices in US do not include tax, whereas our price includes VAT @ 23% which all goes to the government. When you take this into account, the before tax price in both regions is almost identical at today's exchange rates. If you are VAT registered you can claim this back meaning there is no difference in price. And of course, you will only have a warranty in the US if you buy in the US. Not to mention our after-sales service including sensor cleaning and loan equipment when a camera is bought from ourselves."

Is that true ? the bhphoto price doesn't include tax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

jcf wrote: »
    Is that true ? the bhphoto price doesn't include tax ?

It's not true. The B&H price is $3499, I've brought the checkout process right up to where you actually review and confirm payment and at no point was there mention of tax, other than the import duty.

Total price for the body only, including shipping and import: $4,372.22

Ah now it includes tax alright. What he's talking about is the import tax you'd pay if you bought from the states. That's why he mentioned the warranty being void over here etc. basically if you were in the US it's cheaper to buy this than it is over here.

You just wanted to know why the list price is different. And as of yet nobody can give a rational explanation for it. If you walked into a us store you'd pay$3500 and that would include tax undoubtedly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sales tax (9% approx) is added if you buy instore, bought my 1dmk3 there and on import paid the vat and still saved €1500 on the purchase price in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gloobag wrote: »
    We're being screwed as usual :mad:
    by whom, though?
    there are three main benificiaries of the money you spend when you buy a camera here - retailer, supplier, and government. it may not be the shop's fault.

i was once told in a shop that an item i wanted to buy cost less in an irish online retail store than the wholesaler charged the shop at wholesale prices. there are massive discounts available to outlets who buy in bulk, making life difficult for the small outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Not only u get taxed in the store but also at the airport

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Borderfox wrote: »
    Sales tax (9% approx) is added if you buy instore.

Sales tax in the US depends on where you buy, and differs from state to state. So, if you buy in B&H instore, you pay 4%, but if you buy B&W online, and ship to say .... Oregon, you pay 0% sales tax.

Some rates from 2011, but most are the same in 2012.

http://www.usa-sales-use-tax-e-commerce.com/table_sales_rates.asp

There can also be local taxes too, as well as state tax.

Prices for Canon and Nikon are set by the company. Then you add VAT and local shop profit and you get the end price. Over the last few years, companies are trying to have base prices and then convert to local currency without too much change, and then you just add the tax and markup.

Moving slightly off the financial side of things.

Is this camera really a breakthrough for stills photographers?

Will this produce better and more striking images than the 5dMk2 in terms of colour, contrast and clarity?

If we didnt care about video at all, are we seeing a vast improvement here? Or is the reason the 5Dmk2 is being kept around an indication that the MK2 is just as good for stills as the 5Dmk3? Negating the additional autofocus points (I use 1, the middle one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

A lot of the changes were geared towards making it a great camera for wedding photographers. They had a lot of input from pros as to what they'd like to see included.

Hence, for example, higher usable ISO and much improved focussing - but similar megapixels.

So what ya mean is, it's better for photo journalistic styles?

hhmmm....

Well, obviously, not just photojournalistic - but a lot of the changes will be very useful for me.

Regarding IQ - that's a bit subjective - but once again early reports seem to say the images look even better than from the Mk II. The High-ISO samples on DPreview were also pretty impressive - given that they used low tungsten light for them (not always the case in tests).

That is of course assuming you would be using a high ISO. I dont think I have a shot over iso 200 with everything I shot this past year on my 60D. But I guess thats where the wedding folks need to extra light.

So anything really tangible other than the stuff for sports, photojournalists? I hate to see an explanation that its better for "wedding photographers". Which basically means, its good for when people are walking around :P

I think what I've been most puzzled by this past few weeks has been how outstanding the fuji x100 has been. I can get high quality images with great sharpness and rich colours and a great perspective. The ISO is nicely composed and it works shockingly well given its limitations.

I know the 5dmk2 is going to be so much better with that dslr style snappy auto focus. I just wonder is the money really worth it. Or are we looking at a camera that's bragging rights lie in it's video options and quality?

It seems to be all video samples that are doing the rounds. Do as many people really care about it's images this time around or has the dslr market been balanced out by video makers as much as it has by photographers?

**edit* Looked at the samples over on the canon site. To be fair, ISO 6400 looks fairly incredible! But shooting a bride with a 50mm lens at f 7.1 could have been stopped down to 4/5 and iso down two steps to get just as striking an image.
    Still it's very impressive!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is this camera really a breakthrough for stills photographers?
    it's a few percentages here, a few percentages there. it does everything a bit better, but i think it's fair to say that it won't allow you to do something its predecessor (or similar) could not manage. so no, not a breakthrough.

5D MKII is still a great camera for still images and I can't justify all that extra € for the MKIII ... I heard it's more geared for video, and the images are a bit smoothed out looking - but this could be sh*te, read it on other forums.

interesting to see the dpreview full review in a few months and the price in about a year !!

Just to put some detail on it from my POV, the following 3 things are enough to make an upgrade worthwhile for me :

(1) New focus system & modes
    (2) Dual card slots
    (3) High ISO performance (estimated 2-4 stops better than MKII for equivalent quality).

Plus all the other little improvements + nice to have things.

Now, if you're a landscape photographer, it's unlikely these would mean as much to you. So - it's not for everyone, and the MK II will continue to be sold, at a lower price (than now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

wished i had the £££ to buy this cam :(

So basically if your a fashion/studio/landscape/commercial photog, than none of this really means that much.

The primary additions are for things that move in dark places! :D

pfft....my mark 2 and 24-70 arrive tomorrow! :)

• Advertisement

So basically if your a fashion/studio/landscape/commercial photog, than none of this really means that much.

The primary additions are for things that move in dark places! :D

pfft....my mark 2 and 24-70 arrive tomorrow! :)

Enjoy, it's an awesome combo !

my fav walkabout lens for sure...

:)

Advertisement