Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car suggestions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Ha was thinking about starting a thread re: what people think of the Fiat Coupe 20vT. Its def something different, fast as hell (220bhp) and dirt cheap. Then again your going into 1990s second hand Fiat territory with one...
    I know nothing about them, but like something a bit different. Or the idea of something a bit different anyway;)

Or something the same as everyone else but better:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2165574

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

what about? this: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2152526 as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 5 giles01

What about this? I think it's one of the best looking cars in its class, cracking little engine, good performance, reasonable mpg and it has a few nice gadgets!

giles01 wrote: »
    What about this? I think it's one of the best looking cars in its class, cracking little engine, good performance, reasonable mpg and it has a few nice gadgets!

my next car to be too id say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I know I keep mentioning them, but what about an MX-5 or Fiat Coupe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

what about? this: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2152526 as an example

I'll run into trouble with insurance on something like that i'd imagine. And although it's great it's a big car, for someone who doesn't need any space. I'd rather a nimble, not so fast car over something that's nearing barge territory.
    Ha was thinking about starting a thread re: what people think of the Fiat Coupe 20vT. Its def something different, fast as hell (220bhp) and dirt cheap. Then again your going into 1990s second hand Fiat territory with one...
    I know nothing about them, but like something a bit different. Or the idea of something a bit different anyway;)

Or something the same as everyone else but better:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2165574

The golf GTI is one of those cars that I never understood why people went mad for them. It's not one i'd be mad keen on. Although i've never driven one.
    Cionád wrote: »

Again, that's getting more into luxobarge territory, good fast cars, no doubt. But it's just not something i'm after.

I've been looking around at FTOs online, and a lot have been skangerised, so it might be difficult to find a good one. And insurance would be a problem. Haven't rung my broker yet, (I'm months away from purchase anyway). But it's probably my favourite so far.

As for MX5, it's always one i'd recommend on any of these threads, purely from reading about them. But unfortunately I just can't insure one at 23, most insurers run a mile from a 1.6 soft top!

Fiat coupe, look great, but what about reliability on them? I've heard they're a disaster. And that's not you're generic fiat pub talk kind of stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

The golf GTI is one of those cars that I never understood why people went mad for them. It's not one i'd be mad keen on. Although i've never driven one.

Theres nothing to drive one mad about them really. Its still a Golf, A GTI is just a higher spec faster one with better suspension/brakes. Same as any other hot version of a hatchback...

They are well built, well specced, comfortable etc. The 25th Anniversary one is the only one i'd bother with as its 180bhp, all the others are 150bhp. (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've been looking around at FTOs online, and a lot have been skangerised, so it might be difficult to find a good one. And insurance would be a problem. Haven't rung my broker yet, (I'm months away from purchase anyway). But it's probably my favourite

Get a feel for the different modifications available
    Most of the ftos on donedeal etc get commented on so it'd save you a bit of legwork. In my opinion the club cars are the best minded and its easy to search owners posts to see any issues the car might have had.

There are a good few badly modified ones out there, the owners are generally not on the site.
    You probably know I've had a few of them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have just been looking at online quotes, and ringing around to my broker, and it appears that my assumption of not being able to get insured on an MX5 was wrong! Got quotes of less than 1000 for a 2002 1.6 and a around 1100 for tpft on the 1.8!

It will probably be a few months before I do anything. But tbh, an MX5 seems to be the best option! Fun, decent looking, rwd, reliable, cheap to run/tax/insure. Ticks all the boxes!

Have just been looking at online quotes, and ringing around to my broker, and it appears that my assumption of not being able to get insured on an MX5 was wrong! Got quotes of less than 1000 for a 2002 1.6 and a around 1100 for tpft on the 1.8!

It will probably be a few months before I do anything. But tbh, an MX5 seems to be the best option! Fun, decent looking, rwd, reliable, cheap to run/tax/insure. Ticks all the boxes!

^^^ usually the conclusion these type threads come too :)

• Advertisement

^^^ usually the conclusion these type threads come too :)

Indeed! But even last year when I was pondering the same question MX5 quotes were impossible.

Advertisement