Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi connects to laptop but pages won't load??

• 21-10-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Trying to use wifi on Samsung Galaxy S2 to connect to my laptop.It says on laptop its connected,signal strength exellent etc but net just wont load up pages.I think its something to do with settings on computer or browser.I'm using XP and Firefox,tried IE but still no joy.Its not a faulty phone cos it works on GF's laptop.Any suggestions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

You want to use your phone as an WiFi access point. To allow ur laptop to surf the next ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you using a custom ROM? My Europa has portable hotspot issues like that on Cyanogenmod. If on stock ROM try changing the Portable hotspots SSID and WPA key, just in case of settings errors

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you using a custom ROM? My Europa has portable hotspot issues like that on Cyanogenmod. If on stock ROM try changing the Portable hotspots SSID and WPA key, just in case of settings errors

Nick
    Hi nick, haven't a clue what a custom rom is! Nor do I know how to change ssid and wpa key! I'm not great with computers.I was able to use the phone to connect on my gf's laptop but it just won't load pages on mine.I've tried numerous forums but no joy.And I reckon it's just a simple settings problem cos it is showing as being connected and there is activity.It's just that I don't know which settings!

toby2111 wrote: »
    Hi nick, haven't a clue what a custom rom is! Nor do I know how to change ssid and wpa key! I'm not great with computers.I was able to use the phone to connect on my gf's laptop but it just won't load pages on mine.I've tried numerous forums but no joy.And I reckon it's just a simple settings problem cos it is showing as being connected and there is activity.It's just that I don't know which settings!

Don't worry, if you don't know what a custom ROM is its safe to assume your at stock ;). All you need to do is turn on Portable Hotspot, configure portable hotspot settings, change network SSID in here and security key, now try reconnect, using the new security key

Nick

All you need to do is turn on Portable Hotspot, configure portable hotspot settings, change network SSID in here and security key, now try reconnect, using the new security key

Nick
    But how do I configure hotspot settings on galaxy s2?? There doesn't seem to be anything about network ssid or security key in the wifi settings menu on the s2? There is something about using a static ip address but???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Trying to use wifi on Samsung Galaxy S2 to connect to my laptop.It says on laptop its connected,signal strength exellent etc but net just wont load up pages.I think its something to do with settings on computer or browser.I'm using XP and Firefox,tried IE but still no joy.Its not a faulty phone cos it works on GF's laptop.Any suggestions??

Can you open a command prompt and type:

ping www.google.com

If it says "Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the name and try again."

Can you try and ping the ip instead:

open cmd prompt
    ping 74.125.230.114

and post back the results

But how do I configure hotspot settings on galaxy s2?? There doesn't seem to be anything about network ssid or security key in the wifi settings menu on the s2? There is something about using a static ip address but???

Is there not a portable hotspot menu entry? Theres a difference between using Wifi for internet and tethering using portable hotspot, you can check out here for Googles own guide to setting it up

Nick

How do I open a command prompt? I know very little about computers, sorry

Start>Run
    Type 'cmd' minus the '' and ok
    Type ping 74.125.230.114 and hit enter, make sure there is a space between ping and the IP Address

Nick

Tried ping www.google.com,window appeared,then disappeared after 10-15 seconds.
    Tried ping 74.125.230.114,window appeared,said request timed out 3 times,then window disappeared.
    What next?!

• Advertisement

Tried ping www.google.com,window appeared,then disappeared after 10-15 seconds.
    Tried ping 74.125.230.114,window appeared,said request timed out 3 times,then window disappeared.
    What next?!

Type cmd into the run box and ok, in the black console window type ping ipaddress,

Nick

Did that nick,got this

Pinging Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\lorcan>ping 74.125.230.114

Pinging 74.125.230.114 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 74.125.230.114:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\lorcan>

Its all double dutch to me!I ran this portable wifi was turned on, while laptop said I was fully connected to the s2,signal strength excellent etc.It works on GF's laptop so am just frustrated as to why it won't work on mine.Thanks for the help so far!

Did that nick,got this

Pinging Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\lorcan>ping 74.125.230.114

Pinging 74.125.230.114 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 74.125.230.114:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\lorcan>

Its all double dutch to me!I ran this portable wifi was turned on, while laptop said I was fully connected to the s2,signal strength excellent etc.It works on GF's laptop so am just frustrated as to why it won't work on mine.Thanks for the help so far!
    A ping time out means net not working. If it works on another machine we can rule out the phone being the issue for now.
    Try delete and recreate the wifi settings: Start>Control Panel>Network & Sharing centre>Manage Wireless Networks. Delete the Galaxy one, and try to reconnect!

Nick

[/QUOTE]
    A ping time out means net not working. If it works on another machine we can rule out the phone being the issue for now.
    Try delete and recreate the wifi settings: Start>Control Panel>Network & Sharing centre>Manage Wireless Networks. Delete the Galaxy one, and try to reconnect!

Nick[/Quote]
    On my laptop it's start> control panel> network and internet connections (not sharing centre).It gives me no option to delete wifi settings

Update,I can connect the galaxy s2 wifi fine on my girlfriends laptop,but cant surf when I USB tether,which is strange.She has windows 7 but I have XP on my laptop.I can neither connect through wifi nor USB tether.So maybe its something got to do with XP?

Nick[/Quote]
    On my laptop it's start> control panel> network and internet connections (not sharing centre).It gives me no option to delete wifi settings[/QUOTE]

Appologies, I thought you had vista!. What you need to do is open network connections>View Network Adapters>Right click on wifi adaptor>Properties>Click Wireless Networks Tab and delete the android one, if not sure delete all although this will mean needing to reenter your home wifi key. I think they are the steps in XP from memory although as I don't use XP and I'm too lazy to boot up a VM I can't confirm ;)

Nick

I dont have those options Nick.I go start,control panel,network and internet connections then it says pick a task.Theres no option to view network adapters!!Sorry!

I dont have those options Nick.I go start,control panel,network and internet connections then it says pick a task.Theres no option to view network adapters!!Sorry!

Hmm, Try right click on the taskbar icon for wifi next to your clock and click properties, is there a hardware tab there? If there is click it, look for your wifi adaptor>Properties then look for a wireless networks tab, now I'm assuming here your using Windows to manage wireless networks, you may not be, so in this case I don't really know, there may be a Belkin utility, Netgear utility, or linksys etc utility that you are using instead

Nick

Hmm, Try right click on the taskbar icon for wifi next to your clock and click properties, is there a hardware tab there? If there is click it, look for your wifi adaptor>Properties then look for a wireless networks tab, now I'm assuming here your using Windows to manage wireless networks, you may not be, so in this case I don't really know, there may be a Belkin utility, Netgear utility, or linksys etc utility that you are using instead

Nick
    I dont have a wifi icon on taskbar!!I've a local area connection icon(with 2 small computers).When i bring that up it just shows dial up connection which is my meteor dongle and LAN or high speed internet which shows 4 connections,one which says wireless network connection.I went into properties and clicked uninstall.Tried to connect via wifi on phone,no joy!What next?!

Advertisement