Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

• 08-02-2010 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Well since a few of our regular threads have been filling up with talk about Maths, and the rest with talk about favourite poets (when the talk moves away from homework that is), I (and jumpguy, and possibly others I'm leaving out) figured it'd be good to have a thread for discussion of how clever we all aren't.

Basically schoolwork, homework or just your own nerdy pursuits could go here.

Oh god after all the relevant-to-this-thread chat that's been going on in every other topic it better not crash and burn now

EDIT: At jumpguy's request, although I think it's just beating a dead horse at this stage :P:
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    KqSqg.png
    P = Parallelogram
    R = Rectangle
    Rh = Rhombus
    S = Square.

In Words:
    Every Rectangle and Rhombus is a Parallelogram, but not every Parallelogram is a Rectangle or Rhombus.
    The only time when a Rectangle is also a Rhombus is when it is a Square.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Well since a few of our regular threads have been filling up with talk about Maths, and the rest with talk about favourite poets (when the talk moves away from homework that is), I (and jumpguy, and possibly others I'm leaving out) figured it'd be good to have a thread for discussion of how clever we all think we aren't..
    FYP! :P

I think it'd be a good idea to pop in the ole Venn diagram in the OP, get the spirit of the thread going.

EDIT: Ohhh it's not beating any dead horse...*oggles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I've a project I'm working on now that will come to fruition in a few weeks. I'll be sure to post here then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I think I should claim half the credit for that Venn diagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Hotaru wrote: »
    I think I should claim half the credit for that Venn diagram.

You can have half the credit if you really want it.
    I'm not sure I want to be starting any fights over the rights to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

God damn first year maths is only good for the foundation of learning how to do cooler things. :(

There was one time where I was going to write a program that dealt with Team Fortress 2's hat drop rates, probabilities and statistics but a million other bastards have done it already.

Now I'm looking for something useful to do.

• Advertisement

You can have half the credit if you really want it.
    I'm not sure I want to be starting any fights over the rights to it.

YAY.

I believe I reached my nerdy peak for the LC. Haven't quite reached those levels since but meh, this thread may unleash the genius (*cough*) in me.

Yay for the thread.

Yay in general.

Davidius wrote: »
    God damn first year maths is only good for the foundation of learning how to do cooler things. :(

There was one time where I was going to write a programme that dealt with Team Fortress 2's hat drop rates, probabilities and statistics but a million other bastards have done it already.

Now I'm looking for something useful to do.

Aren't we all.
    And yeah, every single program you can think of to make has already been done before, it really puts you off :(

YAY.

I believe I reached my nerdy peak for the LC. Haven't quite reached those levels since but meh, this thread may unleash the genius (*cough*) in me.

Yay for the thread.

Yay in general.

The day I really hit my nerdy peak was in 5th year, just playing some little desktop game, thought "This'd be great without the time limit", got to work and had an option for an untimed game working.

Few emails back and forth with the guy who made the game and I ended up also having the game check for the amount of possible valid moves each turn and give you a number (ending the game if none are available) and a hint button to pick one at random and show it to you.

Thing is I spent so much time playing the game to make sure it worked that I got sick of the game by the time I'd finished :P

The day I really hit my nerdy peak was in 5th year, just playing some little desktop game, thought "This'd be great without the time limit", got to work and had an option for an untimed game working.

Few emails back and forth with the guy who made the game and I ended up also having the game check for the amount of possible valid moves each turn and give you a number (ending the game if none are available) and a hint button to pick one at random and show it to you.

Thing is I spent so much time playing the game to make sure it worked that I got sick of the game by the time I'd finished :P

Wow. That's kinda... cool.

I remember watching this guy I used to go out with make a computer game for his final year project. It was just a basic RPG done using HTML but I was totally in awe :D, twas pretty interesting to see how it was done.

Wow. That's kinda... cool.
    Now if only I could find IRL people who agree with that :P

• Advertisement

Now if only I could find IRL people who agree with that :P

Yes.

I have no idea what that sentence means.

Yes.

I have no idea what that sentence means.

IRL = "In Real Life", I assume you knew that... Other than that I don't get what's confusing you.

IRL = "In Real Life", I assume you knew that... Other than that I don't get what's confusing you.

Um, no.

Great start for me in the genius thread, BOO-YEA.

Great start for me in the genius thread, BOO-YEA.

Soon enough one of the young'uns will express a deep lack of understanding of the difference between fruits and vegetables or kids/adolescents, or basic shapes etc. and it'll be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I read books and shi'.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I read books and shi'.

"shi" is the Chinese word for "poetry" you know?

Yes, that's what I said,
    I read chinese poetry,
    And I write Haiku.

Yes, that's what I said,
    I read chinese poetry,
    And I write Haiku.

Just making sure that was in fact what you meant.

Just making sure that was in fact what you meant.

Cos Haiku is totally Chinese.

I never said it was, did I?

We all know it's actually Korean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I'm going to be dropping historical knowledge like a mo'fo' in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

great idea pyggy,can we rename it gangsta-genius from the responses it's been getting?

'coz I iz like,tha shizznet in the genius deal,yo!.fo' real

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

1// 83ph023 teh 1337-5p34K!!!111eleventyone

It just took me 5 minutes to figure out how to write that gibberish...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

It's actually Japanese...

Jay P wrote: »
    It's actually Japanese...

Mhm. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well on t'internet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Mhm. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well on t'internet :)

Sorry. Thought this was the pedantic thread where you go around correcting everybody...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

thread appropriate for puzzles methinks... =D You have twelve billiard balls of identical size, 11 of them are of identical weight. You have an old-fashion balance scales which you may use upto three times, find out which ball is the wrong weight and if it's heavier or lighter =P

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I feel like I should post in here, just so we're all clear that I'm some sort of genius type person. I mean my brain can read this! (this isn't me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I read books and shi'.
    If shi is Japanese poetry, then why'd you put in the apostrophe after shi? Surely this means a letter is missing. What is that letter? WHAT IS IT?!

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    If shi is Japanese poetry, then why'd you put in the apostrophe after shi? Surely this means a letter is missing. What is that letter? WHAT IS IT?!

It's not that I can't explain, it's that you wouldn't understand...

Advertisement