Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

So while all the bells and whistles such as audible or visual registry

This really can't be though of as "bells an whistles".

Really it's a basic accessibility requirement.

Think of using the Leap Card if you're hard of hearing and/or visually impaired. Assuming also that, you're not disabled enough to get free travel.

I've raised this issue way back on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The audio signal issue has been flagged since the testing period before Christmas. That's at least two months ago. If it's as simple as flicking a switch on the validators, or pressing a few buttons, there's absolutely no reason that Dublin Bus haven't enabled it across their fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Is there a ballpark date for when student leap cards will be available?

Do you think we're going to have to wait until the end of this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

bk wrote: »
    Surely this is a health and safety matter, what if there was a fire!!

Fun fact: the gates are linked to the fire alarm and open up completely if there needs to be an evacuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I have made numerous attempts to register my Leap card on the website, but I keep getting the following message

"The Leap Card number you entered is not valid for registration (Code E017). Please try again."

Any one know what this means?

What is Code E017?

I have double checked and triple checked the number I am using, so I know there is no problem there. When I called the customer service line yesterday, the guy I spoke to had no problem pulling up my account using my number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The LeapCard CityCentre Fare remains 50c,whilst the Cash City Centre Zone Fare is 60c.
    Sure, but that PDF pre-dates the Leap card, and makes no mention of it as a result. It's merely accidental that the Leap fare equates to 50c.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    Either the printed word is wrong or the CCFZ plate is on the wrong Bustop.

Confusion..? you bet. :eek:
    My better half and I were in the city centre recently and discussing this. Why doesn't every bus stop in the city centre in the zone have and identifying mark? Like a big yellow circle?

Should we customers lobby our local representatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I have double checked and triple checked the number I am using, so I know there is no problem there. When I called the customer service line yesterday, the guy I spoke to had no problem pulling up my account using my number.

You probably already know this but you don't need to enter your whole card number, I think you leave off the last 3-4 digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

markpb wrote: »
    You probably already know this but you don't need to enter your whole card number, I think you leave off the last 3-4 digits.
    :roll eyes:

We really need a :facepalm: smiley

for fiftyfecenmillion the nra have come up with a scheme where the number is too big for them?

Regarding Alex's listing of the bylaws, if everyone were to comply with (b) and check/ensure he has been issued with a valid ticket, dwell times may increase.....

One last comment, as it';s coming up to Paddy's Day and busses will be disrupted/rerouted for parades; how does the leap card work/stage fare system work for customers discommoded by this? i.e. if you've stated a destination x number of stages away and the bus brings you to a place not on the route, can you stay on til just before you get back on route again?
    (this is maybe a more dublin bus specific question; I remember saving money on the bus entailed sussing out the fare to the desired destination, paying to the lower fare boundary, lying about the fare, or just paying the full whack and complying with the law. )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

:roll eyes:

We really need a :facepalm: smiley

The website specifically says to enter in the first ten numbers of the card. That is what I entered in. There are four more numbers after that, but I did not enter them in as on my planet 14 is more than 10. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

robd wrote: »
    Think of using the Leap Card if you're hard of hearing and/or visually impaired. Assuming also that, you're not disabled enough to get free travel.
    One also needs to take into account non-residents.
    samsamson wrote: »
    Is there a ballpark date for when student leap cards will be available? Do you think we're going to have to wait until the end of this year?
    I haven't been given dates, but I suspect it will be for the new college year.
    I have made numerous attempts to register my Leap card on the website, but I keep getting the following message

"The Leap Card number you entered is not valid for registration (Code E017). Please try again."

Any one know what this means?

What is Code E017?

They aren't telling the public what the error codes are as that may compromise certain aspects of security. Is there any possibility that someone else registered the card?

Assuming you have a working account that you can access, I would (a) check have you already registered the card (b) try starting the process of registering the card again, making sure to clear your cache on your browser first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

n97 mini wrote: »
    Sure, but that PDF pre-dates the Leap card, and makes no mention of it as a result. It's merely accidental that the Leap fare equates to 50c.

My better half and I were in the city centre recently and discussing this. Why doesn't every bus stop in the city centre in the zone have and identifying mark? Like a big yellow circle?

Should we customers lobby our local representatives?

Oh,please do n97 mini....in the absence of any apparent understanding/interest from those who must be obeyed,I would very much appreciate Interest from Local Representatives...wait !....in facta,go for broke and make it National or even INTERnational reps...MEP's and the likes.

The solution to this TOTALLY self-made problem lies in the cheapest,simplest actions,performable by a half-trained gibbon....a Few Letraset Figures,Numbers and Adhesive Logo's PLACED IN THE APPROPRIATE LOCATIONS.....end of :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

One last comment, as it';s coming up to Paddy's Day and busses will be disrupted/rerouted for parades; how does the leap card work/stage fare system work for customers discommoded by this? i.e. if you've stated a destination x number of stages away and the bus brings you to a place not on the route, can you stay on til just before you get back on route again?
    (this is maybe a more dublin bus specific question; I remember saving money on the bus entailed sussing out the fare to the desired destination, paying to the lower fare boundary, lying about the fare, or just paying the full whack and complying with the law. )

All the leapcard currently is, is an alternative to cash for paying a fare. They aren't going to boot Leap users off earlier than people who paid by cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The scale of diversions on St Patrick's Day is not that great - most cross-city routes are diverted onto parallel streets, while some routes will be curtailed. If the route is curtailed - you pay the appropriate fare to the temporary terminus, otherwise you pay your normal fare to the stop nearest to where you normally get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Just want to verify something...

I was going to get a Leap Card for the train as I'm heading to Bray from Leixlip on Saturday. The Irish Rail journey planner says it will take 89 - 112 mins, depending on which train I get and the transfer time at connolly.

From reading through this thread it says there is a 90 minute window to tag off, so it's very likely I'd be late for that. However on the far calculator it says the fare is €4.00 for a leap card. So if I get the 89mins train and it arrives on time I'll pay €4, it it's 2mins late I'll end up tagging myself "on again" rather than off at Bray?

So am I better off just using cash to pay the return fare, which is €8.70?

And why do they even advertise a fare which is not attainable? (e.g. Maynooth to Greystones is listed as €4 also)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wow, the Leap card website is really very badly designed, it sounds like they are breaking all the rules of ease of use and accessibility.

A website should never give an obscure error message like this. It should always explain the problem in plain English.

If there is a security reason why it can't, then it should say that there was a serious problem and to please contact them at xxxxx

Again stupid and confusing. They should just take the full 14 digits and knock off the last 4 digits on the server if they don't need it. It is literally one line of programming code.

This would save a lot of confusion for customers.

Cionád wrote: »
    Just want to verify something...

I was going to get a Leap Card for the train as I'm heading to Bray from Leixlip on Saturday. The Irish Rail journey planner says it will take 89 - 112 mins, depending on which train I get and the transfer time at connolly.

From reading through this thread it says there is a 90 minute window to tag off, so it's very likely I'd be late for that. However on the far calculator it says the fare is €4.00 for a leap card. So if I get the 89mins train and it arrives on time I'll pay €4, it it's 2mins late I'll end up tagging myself "on again" rather than off at Bray?

So am I better off just using cash to pay the return fare, which is €8.70?

And why do they even advertise a fare which is not attainable? (e.g. Maynooth to Greystones is listed as €4 also)
    Just another aspect of the poor design that went into Leap.

I've spoken to IE about this, and the maintain they've pointed it out to Leap people.

I emailed Leap about it, but got no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The website specifically says to enter in the first ten numbers of the card. That is what I entered in. There are four more numbers after that, but I did not enter them in as on my planet 14 is more than 10. :D

Digits or numbers?

Cos the card I'm looking at now has either one or three numbers ( if you count the spaces as delimiters)

Why would the website not be written to silently ignore any digits > ten entered?
    ixflyer wrote:
    The scale of diversions on St Patrick's Day is not that great - most cross-city routes are diverted onto parallel streets, while some routes will be curtailed. If the route is curtailed - you pay the appropriate fare to the temporary terminus, otherwise you pay your normal fare to the stop nearest to where you normally get off.
    Last time I got a bus around St Patricks day to see fireworks, the 19/19a left me on Dominic St, when I wanted to get to d'Olier St

I had a sprained ankle at the time so the walk and no refund for the overcharging of the bus fare was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Last time I got a bus around St Patricks day to see fireworks, the 19/19a left me on Dominic St, when I wanted to get to d'Olier St

I had a sprained ankle at the time so the walk and no refund for the overcharging of the bus fare was nice :)

Any of Dublins "Big Days" tends to show up our lack of ability to plan or even contemplate being able to use the Bus as a viable mass-movement tool.

Instead for events such as Lá le Féile Pádraig,we shunt buses and their passengers as far away from the action as possible,in the same manner as closing Rail Stations located adjacent to Sports Stadia on big-match days.....Ted :confused:

The notion of putting as many buses as possible on dedicated,guaranteed corridors,to deposit people as close to the action as possible appears to pose a serious threat to many Senior Civic Administrators in Dublin.

Sad Sad Sad stuff,particularly when we wrote a very functional template for just this eventuality back in 1979 for the Papal Visit,which worked.

Even the Slane concerts took a few years before somebody decided to do a bit of tweaking which finally allowed FULL buses a degree of priority over Private Cars to great effect.

Joined-up thinking,from a greater-good perspective,just ain't a National trait over here....:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

n97 mini wrote: »
    Just another aspect of the poor design that went into Leap.

I've spoken to IE about this, and the maintain they've pointed it out to Leap people.

I emailed Leap about it, but got no reply.

I asked them both on Twitter and they just blamed each other.

Alek - any chance you could edit that post - that's not my quote!

• Advertisement

Firstly it is lxflyer not ixflyer!

Secondly - the fare you were charged will depend on where you got on. Perhaps the fare to D'Olier Street was the same as that to Parnell Square, which would be the nearest point to Dominic Street? It would have only been one stage further along the route.

Lesson 1 - Always check the Dublin Bus website before travelling when there are major festivals / events (such as the marathon) on, so that you are aware of any diversions.

I asked them both on Twitter and they just blamed each other.

ROFL!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

More Leap Card website madness.

If you have an Irish Rail smartcard and you go to the Leap website to request a free leap card, it asks you to enter the Irish Rail smartcard number.

But when you enter the number, it tells you it is invalid!!

It turns out that you have to leave off the 0 at the start of the Irish Rail smartcard number for it to be accepted!!!

It doesn't say this anywhere on the website, my girlfriend just guessed it, madness!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you have an Irish Rail smartcard and you go to the Leap website to request a free leap card, it asks you to enter the Irish Rail smartcard number.

It turns out that you have to leave off the 0 at the start of the Irish Rail smartcard number for it to be accepted!!!

It doesn't say this anywhere on the website, my girlfriend just guessed it, madness!!!
    Did you let them know? It's a matter of one line of code if they need to truncate it so there is no excuse for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

I am goign to top up my leap card online today. I note in the options in the online topup wizard that you can collect the top up from dart validators / entry gate.

I though I recall from earlier in the thread that this was not working, is this still the case? or is ok to choose this option and collect from dart station?

Thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

pauld wrote: »
    I though I recall from earlier in the thread that this was not working, is this still the case? or is ok to choose this option and collect from dart station?

AFAIK collecting from the gates work - collecting from or topping up at Irish Rail ticket machines does not (yet).

AFAIK collecting from the gates work - collecting from or topping up at Irish Rail ticket machines does not (yet).

Which was supposed to happen in February, which we are almost at the end of now?

Suppose we should have asked February of which year?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Thanks guys, will choose dart validator so, theanks for your help.

Is there an official policy line on what will happen to IE smart cards
    a) that have had a Leap card issued against them?
    b) in the long run now that Leap is the replacement?

I suspect there is no policy line on either.

I have a Leap card issued against an IE card but will continue to use the IE card (i.e. the wife can use it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

I have a Leap card issued against an IE smartcard since December. I've used the IE smartcard every day since with no problems, I can't be arsed going to a Luas stop nowhere near where I live or work to activate the damn thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement