Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've never bothered to 'block' before. Just knitted a hat so do I block before I sew it up or afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

hmm... I've actually never blocked a hat before, it usually just stretches over the head :) I also knit them in the round.

However, I'd imagine blocking before will make sewing it up easier, and blocking after, will make the fit right ... any interest in doing both? does sound like lots of hassle to me.
    I blocked a sweater after sewing the bits together, and found that seams were a little off, and would've helped to have them evened out before sewing.

Thank you Gatica. Yes, it does seem too much bother but thought I'd give it a go this time. Think I'll block before I sew as the edges are curling a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

conandoyle wrote: »
    Hi
    I was really hoping some one could help with this question. I am looking for a knitting group in Cork city. I was a given a few names and events by people but they all seem to be either disbanded or relocated. I basically looking for a bit of knittting and and natter. Any one out there that could help it's very much appreciated.

thanks

If you join Ravelry, you can search their groups. Here's link for Cork, but you'll need to sign in before you can see the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

If you're still looking for a yarn bowl, there are some here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Hi,

Does anyone have a pattern - tred and tested for a simple dog coat.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Making the brim of a hat for a teddy and bit confused by the pattern, whould be very grateful if someone could help.

Cast on 7 sts
    K6, turn
    K to end
    K
    K
    Repeat these 4 rows 51 more times and cast off.

Basically i want to know, what do u do with the one stitch left on needle in first row??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Making the brim of a hat for a teddy and bit confused by the pattern, whould be very grateful if someone could help.

Cast on 7 sts
    K6, turn
    K to end
    K
    K
    Repeat these 4 rows 51 more times and cast off.

Basically i want to know, what do u do with the one stitch left on needle in first row??

After turning, leave that stitch on the right hand needle, and then knit 6 stitches from the left hand needle to the right hand needle. Now work rows 3 and 4, which are knit all stitches to end. The finished piece will be curved to make the brim of the hat. Let us know how you get on.

Got myself a dog jumper pattern,

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

What type of yarn will you be using for the dog jumper, just curious what would be suitable?

• Advertisement

tringle wrote: »
    What type of yarn will you be using for the dog jumper, just curious what would be suitable?

Hi, I used double knit and doubled it, my mum used an Aran wool, and she is now crocheting the dog another jumper, she says it is quicker.

He will be the best dressed dog.

Sorry, I meant the type of yarn, is it acrylic, wool, cotton? I was wondering what fibre would be good to put on a dog.

Sorry, the Aran was wool, and the other was acrylic wool mix.

The dog does not mind them, he hates the cold,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Swimbo

Hi I recently bought a 'knit a friend kit' from ALDI and have become stuck as the instructions are not very clear, can you please give me your advice on what this means

Dec 1st each end of next and foll 6th row
    work 4 rows
    dec 1st each end of next and foll 5th row
    work 2 rows

I understand the dec 1st each end, but do I do this, then do 5 rows, do it again (which would have been the foll 6th), then work 4 rows, then do it again, then work 4 rows (which would be the foll 5th), do it again and then work 2 rows?
    It is knitting in a really horrid fur wool, which is impossible to pick up dropped stitches or count rows, so it is something I would have to restart if I get wrong. If any one has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Swimbo

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blackangel

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any simple charity knits to complete here in Ireland....I'm thinking of doing it as a project with ty students so I was thinking something small like knitting squares for charity blankets - are there any charities here looking for that kind of thing?

I believe the maternity hospitals occasionally request hand knitted/crocheted baby clothes for premature babies, really tiny size. Maybe contact the relevant hospitals?

Dec 1st each end of next and foll 6th row
    work 4 rows
    dec 1st each end of next and foll 5th row
    work 2 rows

Id read it as follows

Ròw 1 Dec 1 stitch at each end
    Row 2
    Row 3
    Row 4
    Row 5
    Row 6
    Row 7 Dec 1 stitch at each end
    Row 8
    Row 9
    Row 10
    Row 11
    Row 12 Dec 1 stitch at each end
    Row 13
    Row 14
    Row 15
    Row 16
    Row 17 Dec 1 stitch at each end
    Row 18
    Row 19

"I was thinking something small like knitting squares for charity blankets - are there any charities here looking for that kind of thing? "

Contact your local wool shop and see what they are looking for?
    Currently many are collecting 8inch squares for blankets for Syrian refugees, they will take them from you and sew them together.
    Many are also collecting items to sent to orphanages in Africa. They have a very simple jumper pattern available but also a hat, a blanket and a really easy teddy bear...again they will give you a pattern.
    I am making some small cardigans for our local NICU in the maternity hospital. We had a baby spend two weeks there and asked if they needed me to make some hats as a thank you. They already had a group knitting hats but said they would love some cardigans.
    Squares sewn together as blankets would be welcome by a local homeless charity.
    I also know the NICUs like knit or sewn blankets to use as covers for incubators to keep out light and noise and stop the teeny babies becoming overstimulated.
    And finally, and very sadly the stillbirth association are always looking for teeny "garments" for the babies to be wrapped in.

Squares are good and our local wool shop is collecting them but contact yours. If you are still not sure you can contact me and I will have your squares sent to our local shop for Syrian refugees.
    It is best that all your squares are the same weight and yarn type so an acrylic in DK or aran is best

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

Few great ones , if you check the following on Facebook

Hat's For Heroes
    Lids for Kids
    both looking for hats for children going through cancer treatment
    Blankets of Hope - give out blankets to all cancer patients in CUH in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭liv491

My mam also has a very simple pattern called " Teddies for Tragedy "
    It is a one piece knit & you could donate them to a childrens hospital .
    I will look for the pattern later & try share it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Blackangel

That's great, thanks everyone. I will contact my local shop and see what they say and have a look at what you suggested!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pearl15

Hi wmpdd3 only see your post now from a few months back. I am struggling with several machines and then get frustrated and hand knit to chill out!!!! I would be better off if I could not hand knit and then I would have to concentrate more on what I need to do. I am still hoping that I can do classes or learn from someone who is experienced. Also it would be a great idea if we could form some kind of group as in the UK to come together and natter!!!! Bulk buying etc would also be cheaper forcones of finer yarn etc. I am based in Offaly not far from Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Blackangel wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any simple charity knits to complete here in Ireland....I'm thinking of doing it as a project with ty students so I was thinking something small like knitting squares for charity blankets - are there any charities here looking for that kind of thing?

You can get a selection of knitting/sewing/crochet patterns on Isands for premature/stillborn babies.

Hats for war-torn Syria would welcome not just hats!

And Innocent Smoothies does a campaign every year, knitting teeny hats to put on their bottles and they donate to e.g. Age Action, most recently it was 30c per hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Blackangel wrote: »

Hi blackangel I do not know where you are based. I have recently heard of two knitting projects, one called Hats for the Homeless in Dublin, where a knitting group in Churchtown is knitting hats and scarves for homeless people, and my contact was looking for more people to knit for them.
    Also there is a Stillbirth associations of Ireland (possibly also called Feileacain if memory serves me right) which often looks for small knitted blankets for a Memory box for parents of stillborn babies.
    As for Neonatal ICU and hospitals you might need to check with your local hospital first to see what their policy is regarding blankets for very small sick babies, they may or may not accept them.
    Let me know if you want any more info on the above. Or PM me.
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Pearl15 wrote: »
    Hi wmpdd3 only see your post now from a few months back. I am struggling with several machines and then get frustrated and hand knit to chill out!!!! I would be better off if I could not hand knit and then I would have to concentrate more on what I need to do. I am still hoping that I can do classes or learn from someone who is experienced. Also it would be a great idea if we could form some kind of group as in the UK to come together and natter!!!! Bulk buying etc would also be cheaper forcones of finer yarn etc. I am based in Offaly not far from Tullamore

I'm not teaching at the moment, I have retuned to college..... again! I have no idea when I'll be back teaching again.

I'd be on for a meet up, coffee and a bit of knitting, maybe some place half way between Offaly and Waterford!

If you are on facebook, there are two groups that are brilliant, one for machine knitting chat and help and one for sales, I usually pay less than €10 a cone delivered from the uk, these are second hand cones so its a dolly mix but you can be lucky.
    I'll PM the links to you as I'm not sure if links are allowed.

Also if you have any specific problems, or if you want easy machine knit projects, message me and I'll forward them to you.

What machines do you have?

(Edit: I see you have a Passap Duomatic Knitting machine, do you have others? Its an amazing machine, but a bit hard to start off on. )

I have LK100 x 2 , Brother 260 and ribber, Sk280 and ribber and Knitmaster 321.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi knitters, haven't knitted/ sewn since primary school. Bought a tea-cosy knitting set in Aldi (I do need a tea cosy!)and flying along with it, all came back to me, muscle memory or something.
    Hope to be onto more exciting projects soon, as i'm ill and stuck in the house for a while.
    My ultimate goal is make / remake my own clothes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭janmaree

zef wrote: »
    Hi knitters, haven't knitted/ sewn since primary school. Bought a tea-cosy knitting set in Aldi (I do need a tea cosy!)and flying along with it, all came back to me, muscle memory or something.
    Hope to be onto more exciting projects soon, as i'm ill and stuck in the house for a while.
    My ultimate goal is make / remake my own clothes. :)

I think your return to knitting is brilliant, "every cloud has a silver lining" etc.!!! Hope you recover really soon and that you continue to have fun getting there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Thanks for the encouragement!
    My Mum (rip) had a huge collection of different sized knitting needles with numbers on the top. Where is the best place in Dublin city/ Dublin 15 to pick up a sturdy set? The Aldi needles that came with the kit are not really big enough for 98 stitches and I'd prefer something sturdier.
    I saw sewing classes online somewhere in town, so I'll start off with that in a while, or maybe I still have time to join an evening class, which wold be doable for me. I know 3 local secondary colleges offer classes in a ton of things and enrolment is around now.
    Anyone know of any in the Dublin 15 - Huntstown- Coolmine areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

zef wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    My Mum (rip) had a huge collection of different sized knitting needles with numbers on the top. Where is the best place in Dublin city/ Dublin 15 to pick up a sturdy set? The Aldi needles that came with the kit are not really big enough for 98 stitches and I'd prefer something sturdier.
    I saw sewing classes online somewhere in town, so I'll start off with that in a while, or maybe I still have time to join an evening class, which wold be doable for me. I know 3 local secondary colleges offer classes in a ton of things and enrolment is around now.
    Anyone know of any in the Dublin 15 - Huntstown- Coolmine areas?

Inspiring Ideas in the Blanch retail park ( same area as Home Store and More, Harvey Norman) will have some. City centre try This is Knit in Powers court Centre or Hickeys Fabrics on Henry Street. There is also a knit shop in Omni in Santry.

• Advertisement

Or the Constant Knitter in Francis Street is another place. Hickey's shops as well could be worth a look.

Advertisement