Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intel SRT

• 09-05-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Has anybody tried out intel srt ?

Basically it combines a HDD + SSD to give you decent storage with the speed of a SSD. I currently have a Seagate momentus xt hybrid, and I am very pleased with its performance over older HDD's, its cut down some loading times by 70-80%, its one of those nice non core upgrades that actually make more difference to gaming than simply more FPS or detail.

I'm interested in intels setup because it allows for larger disks and better performance than the momentus. I would be a bit concerned about reliabilty, some I might try a Raid 10 setup with it if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

If your SSD is big enough (60gb+) just boot off it. its faster than srt and the momentus. and data is more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I rather the much larger capacity and the flexibility of the hybrid setup. Just having my OS on one disk doesn't cut it for me, my PC is already quite fast to boot (20-30s with a fragmented old install now) with a hybrid and hibernate, for a SSD to be of any tangible benefit I need to have my games installed on it as well.

In order to accommodate my collection I would I have buy a 500gb SSD, which would be a fairly expensive prospect, and a hybrid system can get near that performance for much less.

Momentus Hybrid is ideal for laptops where you can't fit a storage drive.

For a desktop I don't really see the point, just go for a regular SSD and keep your music/movies etc on a storage HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the cache on your momentus is only 8gb though. anything not in that 8gb gets the HDDs speed.

you also don't play 500gb of games all the time, so if you get a 128gb (or 256gb as they're reasonably priced now) you could move things on and off pretty painlessly. stream mover' is often quoted here as being very good.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    the cache on your momentus is only 8gb though. anything not in that 8gb gets the HDDs speed.

you also don't play 500gb of games all the time, so if you get a 128gb (or 256gb as they're reasonably priced now) you could move things on and off pretty painlessly. stream mover' is often quoted here as being very good.

When I say it's ideal for laptops, im thinking of a typical laptop user.

Nowadays the average person chooses a laptop as their main computer rather than a desktop. So they want everything on it if possible - movies, music, photos, apps.

Hence the hybrid drive gives them a small taste of SSD speeds while still allowing them to keep their movie and music collections on the one machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement