Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Nice. But I wish they'd realise that NOONE will use the stairs and everyone will use the escalators.
    Ridiculous. The stairs in T1 is used all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I hope they don't put those ****ing naked radiation cattle scanning scanners in this airport.

Utter disgrace that is and would turn me off the arcitecture of the Airport and even flying if they dare make me go through one of those things. I will not allow myself to be treated like that. Nor do I want to endanger my health so airport security can see whats in my pants. I mean it would be guess work whats in my pants. But ya know.

Who volunteers to strip at security point? They want our naked bodies, let them see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Ridiculous. The stairs in T1 is used all the time.

What is the world coming too, when people are worried over using the stairs to the esculater. This is a classic example as to how ****ed we have become in society..:rolleyes:

OMG i now have a pain in my head that i want to make it go away.

Go away headache. But I do agree about the stairs most sane people don't give a elf about using the stairs. It's lazyness that I have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The full body scanners work off backscatter x-rays and give you the same radiation dose as being on a standard flight for two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

mysterious wrote: »
    What is the world coming too, when people are worried over using the stairs to the esculater. This is a classic example as to how ****ed we have become in society..:rolleyes:

Go away headache. But I do agree about the stairs most sane people don't give a elf about using the stairs. It's lazyness that I have a problem with.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

mysterious wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭crushproof

Plowman wrote: »

WHSmith? Thought Easons got the contract for airport book shops?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

crushproof wrote: »
    WHSmith? Thought Easons got the contract for airport book shops?

The existing ones (ex Hughes&Hughes) in T1 are / will be Eason.

WHS are in Ireland already - in Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Plowman wrote: »

Looks good, glad to see they've got airbridges, and it's good they're segregating arriving and departing passengers. The last time I flew into Dublin was last November, I had to walk down the steps from the plane in the rain, across the tarmac to the terminal, and once inside, try get past people who were waiting to fly somewhere. Looks very unprofessional, and doesn't create a good first impression of Ireland. Hopefully this will help change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The full body scanners work off backscatter x-rays and give you the same radiation dose as being on a standard flight for two minutes.

Yes, and there are qualified radiologists who have stated that there is no safe amount of x-ray exposure for women of reproductive age.

But leaving that aside, there have been no clinical studies of the effects of either backscatter scanners or those using terahertz rays. The latter is a real worry as they are quite literally just 'guessing' they are safe because their safety has only been determined by extrapolation from other electromagnetic frequencies for which there is data.

However that extrapolation has already been thrown into doubt by researchers at Los Alamos National laboratories who have suggested that terahertz frequencies might have a resonance effect in relation to DNA and can tear it apart - something the previous guesses and extrapolations never predicted.

http://medgadget.com/archives/2010/01/study_looks_into_potential_side_effects_of_terahertz_full_body_scanner_technology.html

Any parent who has children might have cause for concern about these technologies.:
    A Heathrow Airport security guard was given a police warning after he was allegedly caught staring at images of a female colleague in a body scanner.
    The 25-year-old worker was quizzed by police over alleged remarks he made to his co-worker after she entered a scanner by mistake.
    The incident took place at Terminal 5 on 10 March.

I do have sympathies for this man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srH5-siea3Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

zootroid wrote: »
    Looks good, glad to see they've got airbridges, and it's good they're segregating arriving and departing passengers. The last time I flew into Dublin was last November, I had to walk down the steps from the plane in the rain, across the tarmac to the terminal, and once inside, try get past people who were waiting to fly somewhere. Looks very unprofessional, and doesn't create a good first impression of Ireland. Hopefully this will help change that.

What happened to the Pier D airbridges, the plan was to have like 12 airbridges or something....!!?? They've kind of ruined Pier D by not putting them in, it may as well be Pier A.

Brand new construction pictures on the website, looking great!

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/TDA/Image_Bank/t2_construction_gallery.html

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

Wow, the interior is shaping up to be a fantastically elegant, spectacular space... Using those stretched material panels on the ceiling is genius, creating an incredibly smooth, clean lined effect. While I think the exterior is a little bit clumsy looking (although beautifully put together) the interior is really going to be something to be proud of.

Also the new signage throughout the airport is fantastic, the graphics, colours and fonts work brilliantly - a huge improvement on all the yellow that used to be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I got an email from Etihad Airways the other day announcing the opening of their own Premium Lounge in T2. Will be interesting to see what Aer Lingus or any of the rest offer. I presume AA customers will be allowed use the lounge since they have a codeshare agreement.
    The new lounge will offer Etihad’s premium customers a range of top quality facilities and services, including workstations, a prayer room, a relaxing seating area with Italian leather chairs, a selection of foods from around the world and luxurious bathroom and shower facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jasonbourne123

Heard today that the Daa will be setting up a new company called Dublin Airport Services limited to run T2. Under this new company there will be no fulltime security screeners instead they will have passenger service agents. These agents will work in customer service, information desk, administration tasks aswell as security screening. This sounds unreal to me with the threat of terrorism you need fulltime security screeners. Dose anybody have any info on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

Heard today that the Daa will be setting up a new company called Dublin Airport Services limited to run T2. Under this new company there will be no fulltime security screeners instead they will have passenger service agents. These agents will work in customer service, information desk, administration tasks aswell as security screening. This sounds unreal to me with the threat of terrorism you need fulltime security screeners. Dose anybody have any info on this?

they are probably named that so when the company want to move some of them to another area in the business they wont have to get the unions in to negotiate a hardship or relocation charge.
    makes business sense really.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

DAA have released 2 pages of new pics of T2 (link below), looks amazing, especially the baggage reclaim with the heather coloured panels and wavy ceiling! :D

Theres also more news articles, finally.

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/tda/Image_Bank/t2_construction_gallery.html

fv2681_m_1406.jpg

fv4030_m_1406.jpg

fv2795_m_1406.jpg

fv3899_m_1406.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Terminal looks fantastic. Full marks to the architects and designers. Am looking forward to using it in July.

On a separate note, does anyone know if there will be a smoking area in T2?

The OH is a smoker and discovered a new smoking area on a terrace upstairs near Burger King in the old Terminal. I think they put this in because folks were running late for flights as they were having a cig up to the very last minute outside.

Just wondered, as in my OHs case it seems a cruel and unusual punishment not to be able to have a puff anywhere once you go airside. This is particularly difficult if the flight is delayed.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

So, which airlines have committed to using terminal two? Will it be mostly for European flights or transatlantic ones? And which airlines will continue to use T1?

Furet wrote: »
    So, which airlines have committed to using terminal two? Will it be mostly for European flights or transatlantic ones? And which airlines will continue to use T1?

As far as I know ALL transatlantic services will operate from T2, while all European and other short haul services will be in T1. While Aer Lingus havent officially said anything yet, half of the check in desks are being branded with their colours... and Emirates have begun creating their luxury airport lounge... American, Continental (United Airlines), Delta, Air Canada, US Airways, Air Transat etc should all switch over to T2, although I'm not sure if they've made official announcements yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

looks great, just hope its not affected by the usual thing with irish buildings.....once the bulb goes thats it and we're left with half lit up ceilings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭steve-o

That "Gates 407-422" sign looks daft in that position considering 4 of the gates are right there.

steve-o wrote: »
    That "Gates 407-422" sign looks daft in that position considering 4 of the gates are right there.

The picture is quite deceiving tho, the gates are quite spread apart, its just the angle at which the pic was taken, although I do agree, the signs in the middle arnt really necessary...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

irishdub14 wrote: »
    As far as I know ALL transatlantic services will operate from T2, while all European and other short haul services will be in T1. While Aer Lingus havent officially said anything yet, half of the check in desks are being branded with their colours... and Emirates have begun creating their luxury airport lounge... American, Continental (United Airlines), Delta, Air Canada, US Airways, Air Transat etc should all switch over to T2, although I'm not sure if they've made official announcements yet.

So far all transatlantic services, with the exclusion of Aer Lingus, have confirmed that they will use T2.All European flights will NOT operate from T1. Any short-haul carrier that wishes can operate from T2 and carriers including Cityjet, BMI, Aer Lingus and Lufthansa are expected to do so with at least some of their flights.Emirates dosen't operate from Dublin but Etihad are currently fitting their lounge.:)

• Advertisement

eia340600 wrote: »
    So far all transatlantic services, with the exclusion of Aer Lingus, have confirmed that they will use T2.All European flights will NOT operate from T1. Any short-haul carrier that wishes can operate from T2 and carriers including Cityjet, BMI, Aer Lingus and Lufthansa are expected to do so with at least some of their flights.Emirates dosen't operate from Dublin but Etihad are currently fitting their lounge.:)

Interesting, thanks. Oops, I meant Etihad, i'm easily mixed up! :P

Advertisement