Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART Fine/Passport query

• 19-03-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,
    I recently got fined 50 euro's for a fare evasion. Not-to-proud about the way I recieved it (it was Paddy's Day and a few beverages were had) and I was in the wrong.
    I had apologised profusely and offered to pay for my fare without hassle when approached.
    Anyway, your man asked me for ID and took my name and a fake address, issued me with my prize and off I went.
    I showed him my passport, so what are the chances I'll be called up on this? Can they use any details from my passport to finger me out?

And one last thing, I had not even approached a train (though I bypassed the turnstyles I think?) before I was issued with the fine.
    So in essence I recieved a fine for not having a ticket on IE property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You're supposed to have a ticket before you go onto the platform. What, did you think they couldn't fine you if you're on the platform without a ticket but just not "approaching" a train?
    What if you don't have a ticket when on the platform but walking in the opposite direction to a train? "Ah ha! You can't catch me, I'm not approaching a train!!"

Gimme a break.:rolleyes:

Re the passport thing, hopefully they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

It was just a question, in all fairness.
    I was not on a platform at all. Rather we had walked to the point were inpectors check your ticket coming off of the trains we planning to get on, which are a couple of turns and a few sets of stairs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,851 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you "bypassed" the turnstyles where they check your ticket then of course they can fine you.

True, my memory is a little fuzzy of that night, but anyways, I'm not refuting the legitimacy of the fine, although that would be better...
    My priority is what can they do with just a name, and whatever information they could gleam with holding your passport for 1 minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Something similar happened to a guy I know. He got stopped on his way to the Canaries by the airport police at Dublin airport. Gardaí called and he missed his flight. There had been a bench-warrant issued for him.. He still gets slagged over it

• Advertisement

Do you know what ID and/or details he gave them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Phegasus wrote: »
    My priority is what can they do with just a name, and whatever information they could gleam with holding your passport for 1 minute?

If they took your passport number, then it certainly be traced back to you and it is likely the fine will be much worse then had you given a real address.

Do you know what ID and/or details he gave them?
    Think it was name and date of birth, but they may also have taken the passport number

Hmmm is that for certain? Do they have access to information provided in your passport number? I know there is a separate false information fine of 50 euro too.

Yes, the Gardaí would. Particularly if there is a bench-warrant issued. Plus the potential cost of missing your next flight. Do you have any previous?

• Advertisement

No, this is my first of any sort, I usually have a bit more cop on, but I suppose we all make mistakes.

Well outlook is bleak, thats 100 euro out of my pocket most likely, which although having almost definitely the 50 euro, it's pretty much all chance on the second fine though, they would have to check the passport number and current address before the fine is paid in order to find out no?

Being honest, I haven't a clue what the outcome would be in your case. But seeing as they have your details it might be easier just to pay the €50 but again that's up to yourself. I once missed showing my tax and insurance at a Garda station by a day (if I did miss it - I am fairly sure I didn't but that's irrelevant) and got a summons 2 years later. After waiting for a few hours until all the public urinating offenses were gone through, I had to take to the stand to show my documents, which thankfully and by fluke I still had as the car was long gone. Judge dismissed it but it was a waste of a half day off work and an irrititating experience which I would be keen to avoid again

Well thanks guys for the info and advice, I'll know next time to avoid this shenanigans altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Best option is to go into their office and pay the fine and make sure you get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Victor - can future threads of this nature be locked or moved please? I'm sick and tired of people who admit they're in the wrong seeking to evade the fine, and worse still giving a false address which means some other poor sod is going to get a summons (happened to a mate of mine a while back).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Do you have to have a ticket to be on the platform? what if you were seeing someone off, or carrying an old ladys suitcase or train spotting?

I would have thought IE would have to prove you intended to travel fraudulently and the way to do that would have been to book you after you boarded the train.(its like a shop-lifter having to leave the premises for there to be proof of intention to commit the offence)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,851 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hopping over the ticket stiles or sneaking past the ticket checker at the gate would be proof enough of intention I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Stark wrote: »
    Hopping over the ticket stiles or sneaking past the ticket checker at the gate would be proof enough of intention I would think.

unless the booking office is closed and a side gate is open(common occurence at IE stations.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Stark wrote: »

they would still need proof that he actually did that though surely...if they met him elsewhere on the station they couldnt just assume thats what he did.(obviously he did in this case...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi,
    I recently got fined 50 euro's for a fare evasion. Not-to-proud about the way I recieved it (it was Paddy's Day and a few beverages were had) and I was in the wrong.
    I had apologised profusely and offered to pay for my fare without hassle when approached.
    Anyway, your man asked me for ID and took my name and a fake address, issued me with my prize and off I went.
    I showed him my passport, so what are the chances I'll be called up on this? Can they use any details from my passport to finger me out?

And one last thing, I had not even approached a train (though I bypassed the turnstyles I think?) before I was issued with the fine.
    So in essence I recieved a fine for not having a ticket on IE property?

Well even if they don't catch you, I hope you understand that it's your drunken behaviour that makes public transport an unpleasant and expensive proposition for the rest of us. There is no excuse for your behaviour. In the one post you've admitted to being drunk in a public place, fare evasion and lying to an inspector!

FYI, the Gardai can access data held on you by any party if in the opinion of a member of the Gardaí (not below the rank of Chief Superintendent), the personal data is required for the purpose of safeguarding the security of the State
    If the personal data is required for the purpose of preventing, detecting or investigating crime or for arresting or prosecuting offenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

IIMII wrote: »
    Something similar happened to a guy I know. He got stopped on his way to the Canaries by the airport police at Dublin airport. Gardaí called and he missed his flight. There had been a bench-warrant issued for him.. He still gets slagged over it

I'd have difficulty believing that. Think about flying out from Dublin to anywhere in the EU. When have you shown your passport to anyone other than check in staff?

I agree that the lad has done something wrong but there is no point in lying about it.

Moi? Everybody does something daft at some stage, I've done plenty of daft things myself - I wouldn't hold that against him - I don't think he was being malicious. But he's storing up a whole load of hassle for himself

By the way, the system does pick up you Passport number so I would imagine it's quite possible to be picked up from you passport number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

IIMII wrote: »
    Moi? Everybody does something daft at some stage, I've done plenty of daft things myself - I wouldn't hold that against him - I don't think he was being malicious. But he's storing up a whole load of hassle for himself

By the way, the system does pick up you Passport number so I would imagine it's quite possible to be picked up from you passport number.

Yeah for rape and murder. They would hardly detain you on an inter-EU flight for not paying a train fare. It's a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

My advice is pay the fine in the DART office before you get summoned to the district court and have to pay IE costs as well the fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What is the official stance on people who have a valid but unreadable ticket hopping the gate?

eg a monthly ticket but the magnetic strip goes.

I'm thinking on the northbound platform (steps, not the ramp) in Pearse if there is no ticket checker present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

jmccrohan wrote: »
    What is the official stance on people who have a valid but unreadable ticket hopping the gate?

eg a monthly ticket but the magnetic strip goes.

I'm thinking on the northbound platform (steps, not the ramp) in Pearse if there is no ticket checker present.

Under the bye laws, which I'm too lazy to google, it's an offence to board a train or bypass the turnstiles without a valid ticket. If you've got a valid ticket which fails to work due to the shoddy quality of IEs equipment, it's still valid, so you haven't broken that.
    On the other hand, you are supposed to validate your ticket before boarding the train, but if you can't due to it/the machine not working, and there's no staff present, I'd imagine they'd have a hard time charging you with anything.
    Doesn't mean they wouldn't try though.

Advertisement