Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Riello 40 burner problem!

• 20-03-2007 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I had a look through all the posts regarding burner problems and I hope this hasn't been dealt with before. Hopefully someone here knows more than I do about it. There's a long story behind this and it started with the last kerosene delivery guy not closing the top of my tank properly, resulting in water ingress etc, etc. I ended up buying a new burner but because there was still residue being drawn through the fuel line due to a dodgy filter (at the tank), my new burner has stopped working.
    The situation currently is:
    I have replaced the fuel line filter. I have bled the fuel pump. I have cleaned the pump filter. I have cleaned the pump cogs and blown out all the cavities. I have checked that the nozzle is clean. I have checked that the fuel delivery line to the nozzle is clear. The pump drive rotates (but doesn't spin freely, if that is required - I don't know). When powered up, the air vent fails to open and atomisation of the fuel at the nozzle doesn't occur. I removed the nozzle and discovered that no fuel is being delivered period when the pump is supposed to be pumping.
    I feel I have at least a passing knowledge of the workings of the unit but am absolutely stumped at this:
    When the pump is running, I removed the bolt where a pressure gauge can be fitted and the kerosene spurts out perhaps 12 inches. However, if I do the same at the bleed point (the allen head at the front of the pump filter) when the pump is running, I get nothing at all coming out!
    I read on another post that if the air vent is failing to open, then there is not sufficient pressure being developed by the fuel pump. However, I have done everything I can to ensure that the pump and all lines are bled and free of residue. And the whole burner unit including pump are only a few days old. Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Call4it

Can you tell me what the problem turned out to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ronnie Whelan

Ithink its your solenoid valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Ithink its your solenoid valve.

Those are 2 old posts, but from the description of the air vent not opening, the problem would not be the solenoid. The air vent is meant to open at the start of the cycle. The solenoid valve only opens to let the oil through to the nozzle later in the cycle.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

You seem fairly competent
    There is another filter inside the pump have you cleaned this
    I know you said you cleaned the lines but did you get the water out of the tank?
    You should be ably to take the pump apart and clean it .
    Other option is to buy another pump and have the other one as a spare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tony F

Did you get that boiler sorted?. The reason I ask is I had the same problem with a riello 40 burner. It worked fine untill the tank was topped up with oil. The burner itself is only 6 months old.
    after the oil fill the pump seized up. I changed the pump and it worked for about 2 hrs then stoped again.the oil company put it down to condensation . I still have not got it going again.

regards

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Condensation might stop the boiler from firing; it would not stop the pump
    Is there any thing happening when you turn the boiler on’ any sound from the burner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Tony F wrote: »
    Did you get that boiler sorted?. The reason I ask is I had the same problem with a riello 40 burner. It worked fine untill the tank was topped up with oil. The burner itself is only 6 months old.
    after the oil fill the pump seized up. I changed the pump and it worked for about 2 hrs then stoped again.the oil company put it down to condensation . I still have not got it going again.
    regards

Tony

If there is water in the bottom of the tank, it can be pushed out into the pipe during a fill. You should check the filter and pipes for water.
    Jim.

Advertisement