Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 530d e60, few questions

• 24-05-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of trading in my 320d for a 2009 530d m-sport. Tax is about the same. What am I realistically going to notice fuel consumption wise?

Worthwhile upgrade? Or am I mad getting old style 5 series?

Should I wait a year and try and find the newer model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

If it was me I would wait for the new 5, such a fine car and the interior is so much better than the E60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

There is nothing wrong at all with the E60 if you don't mind the looks. It's funny how when that car came out it was considered to be absolutely hideous, yet now it looks extremely modern - it really was one of Bangle's best designs to be honest.

Also an 09 being one of the very last models will have all the bugs ironed out, so it should be very reliable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

The E60 is a fantastic design and was quite visionary. But the interior design was always a let down after the E39. Better from 2008 with the new door cards but IMO the interior of the current 5 is BMW's best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

whats your budget op? also why the 330d is it for the 6 cylinder? if its just more hp and torque you are after, you could get current car remapped...

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/models.asp?upid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Idbatterim wrote: »
    whats your budget op? also why the 330d is it for the 6 cylinder? if its just more hp and torque you are after, you could get current car remapped...

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/models.asp?upid=1

5 Series I believe, not another 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks for the replies. My budget I suppose is really 20K + getting 10k trade in on my old 3er.

One of my colleagues has the newer 520d and it is nice. But I do find 520's in general a little slow.

I actually drive fairly conseratively most of the time, on my 60km round trip weekday commute. But I like power to be available. (I have owned fast car's like Wrx when I was younger).

1/ I'm concerned that the 530d would guzzle compared to my older 320d?
    2 / I'm concerned I won't enjoy auto as much as manual (longer term). Maybe I'll love it?
    3/ I'm concerned the value is going to drop like a stone? worth 30 k now, what about in 3 years when I go to change? (320d 3 years ago cost me €17k, (ni import) and is worth about €10k now. Totally acceptable depreciation in my books.
    4/ I'm concerned that I could be paying way over the odds in Ireland. Maybe I should import from UK like last time. The reason I didn't consider it, is this time I have to trade in.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Praetorian wrote: »
    1/ I'm concerned that the 530d would guzzle compared to my older 320d?
    I'm afraid I can't help on this one, but unless you're doing mega miles I wouldn't think there'd be that much in it.
    2 / I'm concerned I won't enjoy auto as much as manual (longer term). Maybe I'll love it?
    You'll prefer it. The only valid reason for having manual in a diesel BMW is abject poverty.
    3/ I'm concerned the value is going to drop like a stone? worth 30 k now, what about in 3 years when I go to change? (320d 3 years ago cost me €17k, (ni import) and is worth about €10k now. Totally acceptable depreciation in my books.
    Be careful with these figures. If you're getting €10k on a trade-in against a €30k car then your old car is worth a lot less than €10k and the new car is worth less than €30k. Taking the figures at face value flatters your old car at the expense of the new one.
    4/ I'm concerned that I could be paying way over the odds in Ireland. Maybe I should import from UK like last time. The reason I didn't consider it, is this time I have to trade in.

Any thoughts?
    Best thing is to compare straight deal prices for both options, consider what you could comfortably get for the 320 privately, and do your sums.

Another reason to get a 530d is because it has six instead of four cylinders:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

There is nothing wrong at all with the E60 if you don't mind the looks. It's funny how when that car came out it was considered to be absolutely hideous, yet now it looks extremely modern - it really was one of Bangle's best designs to be honest.

Also an 09 being one of the very last models will have all the bugs ironed out, so it should be very reliable too.

Totally agree. The E60 530d is (still) one of the best cars you can buy imho. It really is a joy to drive. Most 2009 ones should be very well equipped. My tip would be to buy the touring..far cooler and nicer (and rarer) imho than the saloon and should hold its value well. I'm biased, I have a 520d touring but would love the 530.

Above all else do not buy a manual one!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

If you avoid black leather (or cloth!), and go for wood trim, the interior of the E60 looks much less drab.

• Advertisement

Ninap wrote: »
    If you avoid black leather (or cloth!), and go for wood trim, the interior of the E60 looks much less drab.

I think the black leather looks really classy on them.

Cloth must be avoided at all costs - I simply wouldn't touch any 5 series without leather.

Then again, a 530d should have a high spec, real leather, decent sized wheels, satnav, dual zone climate control (they only have single zone as standard) and an automatic gearbox are what you'd expect as a bare minimum.

The OP should definitely not buy a manual - although the auto is in a higher tax band nobody will want a manual second hand and the general consensus is that automatics and diesels work extremely well together, autos are much better at disguising the narrow power band of a diesel to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd pay the extra for the new model. In 3 years time the F10 is still only a bit after mid-life (with no replacement round the corner) while the E60 will be very much "the old model" and values will have dropped

Tax on the new model is lower (and it uses less fuel), power is higher. More refinement and comfort too. In short, bigger and better :)

might be worth checking out the below link Op. a remapped 520d would be nearly as quick as a non remapped 530d I reckon...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2557772

Idbatterim wrote: »
    might be worth checking out the below link Op. a remapped 520d would be nearly as quick as a non remapped 530d I reckon...

Yes, but it won't have six cylinders, will it:)?

Also saying that a remapped 520d is as good as a 530d is kind of a silly argument, not least because a 520d can be mapped to about 210 bhp, which is some way off the 235 bhp an LCI E60 530d has, but also because of the fact that a remapped 530d will have the same power as a 535d. A remapped 535d will get around 370 bhp, almost as much as the recently launched M550d!

A six cylinder will be quieter and they sound so much nicer than a four cylinder. Also, a six cylinder will be smoother as well.

Yes, but it won't have six cylinders, will it?

Also saying that a remapped 520d is as good as a 530d is kind of a silly argument, not least because a 520d can be mapped to about 210 bhp, which is some way off the 235 bhp an LCI E60 530d has, but also because of the fact that a remapped 530d will have the same power as a 535d. A remapped 535d will get around 370 bhp, almost as much as the recently launched M550d!

A six cylinder will be quieter and they sound so much nicer than a four cylinder. Also, a six cylinder will be smoother as well.

the 6 cylinder will be a bit heavier though. I agree with you that the 6 cylinders are nicer, im driving one now. But IF the op imports, ID say the emissions based VRT will be alot less on the 520 than the 530d. according to dms, they get the 184 bhp up to 220 bhp, thought it would have been a little more...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy a Jaguar XF 3.0d instead.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I drove a 530 at the weekend, and I was well impressed. I would still be a little concerned about what sort of fuel it's going to use. But the car itself was as good as new, and beautiful to drive.

I drove a 530 at the weekend, and I was well impressed. I would still be a little concerned about what sort of fuel it's going to use. But the car itself was as good as new, and beautiful to drive.

Apparently they can get close to 50 mpg on a motorway or main road spin. That seems a bit optimistic, but they are supposed to be good on juice once you get up to speed - around town they would be quite poor naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

You'll get 40mpg in a e60 530 (2007 on) with mixed driving. But the more city (stop\start) driving you do will bring that down a good bit.

The more longer distance driving you do the better mpg you will get, same as most cars. You will easily get 45mpg at a steady cruise on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Worthwhile upgrade? Or am I mad getting old style 5 series?

After just coming from the BMW Classic Show in Kildare, that notion is amusing. :D
    They wouldnt let the E60 M5 my family brought into the show area but they rolled out the red carpet for my E31 (and all the E34s).

• Advertisement
Advertisement