Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's personal choice. Same as abortion is personal choice, so is a 14/15 year old keeping the baby.

My sons mother was 18, just going on 19, and no matter what we have disagreed on since, a very brave, strong, independent woman.

Strange thing is, 10 years later I think she'd have come to a different decision! And not by independent choice!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Meh some people like fairy stories.
    What ever your bedtime read.

Like I said, no problem, continue on making false claims, at the end of the day it only undermines your own argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Neyite wrote: »
    I'm not worried. Its a very much planned and wanted pregnancy and whatever comes I will be delighted to experience it.:)

Best of luck with it. :) Nothing like meeting your baby for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

It's not a good look for the schools crest, having this big bump bulging out of it. I dunno how young some of the folks are here, clamouring to be accepted as adults but some day you'll look back n say how young and naive was I.

You're only adults biologically, all of a sudden and such a bodyshock can make one feel old but don't go getting ahead of yourselves. Because you'll regret it when you should be enjoying your young lives instead of casting yourselves into ouldwanhood at 15 or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

prinz wrote: »
    Like I said, no problem, continue on making false claims, at the end of the day it only undermines your own argument.

My argument is this girl should be supported not scorned.

You can argue whatever way you care to.

Religion, smidgeon.

BTW we all know the Catholic priests position

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »

First baby?
    You'll do fine!!

As will this girl, she has youth on her side and hopefully a supportive family

One of the rare times movies meet reality.

I never really got babies until she had a caesarian, and got a bottle and nappy presented to me, before she woke up.

Wtf gathers meaning.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

I never really got babies until she had a caesarian, and got a bottle and nappy presented to me, before she woke up.

Wtf gathers meaning.

Hope you kept it after C-Section:D

mishkalucy wrote: »
    First baby?
    You'll do fine!!

As will this girl, she has youth on her side and hopefully a supportive family

Wtf gathers meaning.

Neyite is having a baby but I can assure ye all Hondasam is not.:pac:

Neyite is having a baby but I can assure ye all Hondasam is not.:pac:

HAHA the girl I was talking about was the original girl in the article:)

• Advertisement

Wtf gathers meaning.

You managed I take it, nothing to it.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I find it sexist too, I'm sure the father would have no problem getting a place in a CBS school, But the girl gets denied, Yea That's so stupid, Its not like she is going to bring the child to class with her everyday.

Isn't it in the UN charter about the right to education.

I hope this makes all the main European newspapers, She should also seek legal advice and see does the schools decision breach any EU law, This school should be named and shamed in court in Strasbourg..

You managed I take it, nothing to it.:p

:D

No family member was scarey.

I'm a loner by nature and I never felt as alone as that, seriously death threateningly alone. Nearest family member in Donegal, 200 miles away and this before mobiles as a common tool. TGe phone box was the first contact to the external world.

I've never been as scared as my life as seeing my ex wheeled out in a trolley, and me told to sign this sheet of paper, with nobody within 200 miles. Even after putting a nappy on my son, the first I ever put a nappy on a baby, my first thought was my ex.

If it was a choice between my ex and my son, there was only one winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

charlemont wrote: »
    I find it sexist too, I'm sure the father would have no problem getting a place in a CBS school, But the girl gets denied, Yea That's so stupid, Its not like she is going to bring the child to class with her everyday.

Isn't it in the UN charter about the right to education.

I hope this makes all the main European newspapers, She should also seek legal advice and see does the schools decision breach any EU law, This school should be named and shamed in court in Strasbourg..

Since when did the UN charter impose diuties on a Catholic school?

Since when did the EU have authority in education?

Why would the school being named cause it any shame? It might improve its reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

crucamim wrote: »
    Since when did the UN charter impose diuties on a Catholic school?

Since when did the EU have authority in education?

Why would the school being named cause it any shame? It might improve its reputation.

I'm sure schools come under education and that is supposed to be a right. Although you may well be right, Being a Catholic school its probably exempt from certain legislation.

I'll take a wild guess that this contains some rules on discrimination, The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/default_en.htm

Its reputation might be enhanced to some but not to all, We better say nothing so or we'll have a gigantic queue of people from the continent trying to get into that school.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Agreed. But they still need to be educated executed.

Fixed that for you :) Hasn't she got more important issues like caring for a baby. How would one go to school with a new born at home? She should be less angry at the world and start to give a toss about the human she has to care for. Any parent worth their salt will tell you that sacrifice is a big part of caring for children. Its her parents that should be getting the stick and not the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you :) Hasn't she got more important issues like caring for a baby. How would one go to school with a new born at home? She should be less angry at the world and start to give a toss about the human she has to care for. Any parent worth their salt will tell you that sacrifice is a big part of caring for children. Its her parents that should be getting the stick and not the school.

Plenty of women and girls do. I did a degree with a newborn, started another at 32 with a new baby and the added burden of a job. I'm managing well. It can be done. If we write off a teen mum we are going to be supporting her forever, are you okay with that? At least this way she has a chance to be self sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,101 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you :)

Posts like that just make you look like a tool. It's not even faintly amusing.
    Hasn't she got more important issues like caring for a baby. How would one go to school with a new born at home?
    Hasn't she got the support of her own mother? Many single mums manage college and jobs with support.
    She should be less angry at the world and start to give a toss about the human she has to care for.

You're just making stuff up now, and being offensive while you're at it. Nobody mentioned her being angry at the world. But she has every right to be angry towards the principal of that school, who all but called her trash. As above, many mothers work, go to college and carry on their lives while giving a "toss" about their families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Absolutely BS attempt to justify this IMO.
    Absolutely BS attempt to troll my post. In no way did I say that the school was in the right for refusing her. Ive said the polar opposite. Read the rest of my fcuking posts.

Thread TLDR? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

eviltwin wrote: »
    Plenty of women and girls do. I did a degree with a newborn, started another at 32 with a new baby and the added burden of a job. I'm managing well. It can be done. If we write off a teen mum we are going to be supporting her forever, are you okay with that? At least this way she has a chance to be self sufficient.

Oh good for you. Not the least bit of concern about the welfare of your child and how he/she is coping without seeing a mother all day, but you're doing well. That's so great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Stay-at-home/non working mother: "piss-easy being at home all day, scrounger - no prospects derp"

Single mum shows initiative and ambition and gets/attempts to get education to improve prospects for her and thus her child(ren): "selfish, not looking after her child derp"

Very hate-filled, unhappy folks out there who get a hard-on from finding fault with/being suspicious of anything a member of a demonised group does, no matter how positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

skregs wrote: »
    Oh good for you. Not the least bit of concern about the welfare of your child and how he/she is coping without seeing a mother all day, but you're doing well. That's so great.

I think she iss very concerned with the welfare of her kids. She is trying to make the best life for them I would say. How do you know the children does not see there mother. There are a lot of families now (single or couples) who work who might not see there kids most of the day as they are working. Or do you think once a person has a baby they should stay home.

In relation to the OP I think this girl should be supported that she wants to make the best of life for herself and her unborn child. She made a mistake (for want of a much better word) but should she be punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Do you think the father might just play a teeny role in raising the children too?

I'm sick of hearing this 'why aren't you thinking about your children when you decide to do X or Y' nonsense. No woman gets pregnant by herself (unless there is a tiny minority using IVF) so there's always a second parent involved. Why don't you start asking the dads what role they play in their children's lives?

I also bet no male entrant to this or any other school was asked if they have gotten a girl pregnant or have a child with a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

lazygal wrote: »
    I also bet no male entrant to this or any other school was asked if they have gotten a girl pregnant or have a child with a girl.
    If the father of the child is a student at School A, I wonder will he be excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

What about situations where the parents are married to each other and both have to go to work everyday? The baby then doesn't see his/her mum or dad (who is equally important) all day, do you think that is wrong too?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭monkeerina

Sky King wrote: »
    Wasn't there a legal case a while back concerning a gay teacher who couldn't get a job in a catholic school because homosexuality didn't tie in with the ethos of the school. Teacher sued and lost afaik.

The school could probably argue the same point here.

This was due to Article 37 in the Employment Equality Act of 1998 (scarily recent)

37.—(1) A religious, educational or medical institution which is under the direction or control of a body established for religious purposes or whose objectives include the provision of services in an environment which promotes certain religious values shall not be taken to discriminate against a person for the purposes of this Part or Part II if—

(a) it gives more favourable treatment, on the religion ground, to an employee or a prospective employee over that person where it is reasonable to do so in order to maintain the religious ethos of the institution, or

(b) it takes action which is reasonably necessary to prevent an employee or a prospective employee from undermining the religious ethos of the institution.

If this was included in an Act made in 1998, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some other Act/Article somewhere in our State Laws which would support the school in discriminating against a pregnant girl...disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

monkeerina wrote: »

If this was included in an Act made in 1998, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some other Act/Article somewhere in our State Laws which would support the school in discriminating against a pregnant girl...disgraceful.

Equal Status Act (2000, I think) allows schools to discriminate on religious 'ethos' grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lkdsl

monkeerina wrote: »
    This was due to Article 37 in the Employment Equality Act of 1998 (scarily recent)

37.—(1) A religious, educational or medical institution which is under the direction or control of a body established for religious purposes or whose objectives include the provision of services in an environment which promotes certain religious values shall not be taken to discriminate against a person for the purposes of this Part or Part II if—

(a) it gives more favourable treatment, on the religion ground, to an employee or a prospective employee over that person where it is reasonable to do so in order to maintain the religious ethos of the institution, or

(b) it takes action which is reasonably necessary to prevent an employee or a prospective employee from undermining the religious ethos of the institution.

That Act only applies to exceptions for employees. The only way the school could possibly discriminate (in its literal sense) in pupil selection would be to have a clear set of admission policies and procedures that explained and justified the discrimination.
    The school in question had none of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Ah bless your backward socks.

Just a point to note also folks, the government are upping the age to start school to a minimum of 5. Throw in Transition Year and possibly a repeat leaving cert and you see "kids" in school of 18/19/20. That's only going to happen more as the years pass. The "kids" in school are actually adults, with cars and part time jobs and the right to vote.
    So harping on that school children shouldn't be getting pregnant? Well, I know some of my former class mates who got married at 19/20.

Just saying, it's going to happen and people won't be able to bleat about these adults being wasters or it being inappropriate for them to be pregnant in school.

Of course, some people will always look down on single parents. They aren't comfortable with the fact that we can do the job of two people, perfectly well in a lot of cases.
    If I stayed at home and relied on welfare I'm a sponger. If I go out and work and provide a living I'm neglecting my child. Yawn.
    Luckily enough I'm aware that I'm a really good mother. I have the confidence in myself to shrug off the ignorant comments of fools. Luckily for every muppet I hear spouting ignorant crap, I have 10 telling me what a great job I am doing.

I KNOW I am right because I live with the evidence of it every single day. And she is an absolute pet.

There will always be fools in this world and they won't necessarily be in the shape and form of a young single mother, much as some posters here would find that hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm sure my kids will be thrilled at your concern.....

Yes I do it and I have a great balance, its not impossible. Plenty of people do it.

I'm lucky I have a husband - the same young lad who knocked me up all those years ago :), I know a lot of people are doing it alone and I take my hat off to them. Its hard enough being a working parent when you have someone to share it with, to do it alone takes some guts and determination.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement