Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All GMIT accommodation related stuff thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Keelman91

Hey ! , gonna be studying art in chluain mhuire campus,starting in september,.sooon,..need a place to dump my crap :B ,.anyone still out there searching? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 elizuch

What do us think about glasan student village to live in ?:) can u still have a house parties and all or the security wreaks ur head?:)and what about internet should i provide somethin for myself if its very slow or it not so bad ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 clippo55

im still searching i'll be doin film and tv at the cluain mhuire campus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JackDoyle

^^ hey :) I'm hoping to go there too, sounds great with havin internet and all, just hope my parents will pay for it haha

JackDoyle wrote: »
    ^^ hey :) I'm hoping to go there too, sounds great with havin internet and all, just hope my parents will pay for it haha
    i heard internet in glasan is verryyy slow :(

• Advertisement

Have a place sorted now anyways,hope you found a place clippo!

Anyone still looking for accomodation I have a double room available,nice house,rent aint bad,need another housemate asap as one person had to drop out and am now a tad stuck,.suitable for gmit students,send on a pm if interested pleease :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Hey im moving out of my room in Gort na Glaise, 10 minutes from town, 10 minutes from GMIT

Double bed, clean house, sound roommates, UPC internet and TV, washer/drier
    275 a month!

PM me for details, need to rent it ASAP

hello everybody i am lookin for a room mate :) a share room :)
    215 euros a month + bills ;)
    its in glasan one min away from the gmit college :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HappyOut148

I am a current first year student living in Glasán Student Accommodation.
    I am a first year female student living “down the back” of Glasán. I reside in a back facing house. I would like to point out that these houses are NOT secure. If someone unexpected knocks on the door I have no real way of checking who it is. It could be anyone.
    Having the privacy of a back facing house is lovely, but the reality of it is that it is dangerous.
    I would also like to note the lack of security cameras and security staff on site during the night time. I was told by security that, the security camera cannot capture my house, so if anything happened it would prove difficult to figure out the culprits. As I am only a first year who just moved out of home I find this extremely unsafe. I understand that I have to learn to be independent and face the challenges of living alone without parents or guardians but knowing that there is a lack of security staff and cameras if a fighting though. There is over 150 houses here in Glasán, as I am sure you are aware of which means that there is definitely over 300 students living here and there is NO control of who comes in and out of them gates during the day and during the night. How is one security man supposed to watch all them houses and be responsible for making sure students have security!
    Recently there has been a lack of street lighting “down the back” of Glasán. Street light poles have been knocked over. I can presume that the cost of fixing these is quiet expensive but I would like to say that the irresponsible behaviour of one or a few students can’t be taken out on the rest of us. It is extremely dangerous without these street lights and the place is in total darkness.
    It is unsafe and God forbid something seriously bad will happened to a student someday and it is going to be down to the lack of security facilities and services provided by Glasán.
    As Glasán is practically right on campus, I would of expected much higher standards of living. I did not expect to be feared for my life while opening the door at night. Every cent I paid to live here is not worth it.

I can safelty guarantee I will not be living here next year or for the rest of my coming days in GMIT, unless the issues outlined above are sorted out.

• Advertisement

"Happyout148"..

You should contact Glasan if you are having problems or don't believe the facilities they are advertising as being there, are.

And, do you really "fear for your life" every time you open the door at night?

That's a little bit OTT.. You're living in a student holiday village... not Moyross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I am a current first year student living in Glasán Student Accommodation.
    I am a first year female student living “down the back” of Glasán. I reside in a back facing house. I would like to point out that these houses are NOT secure. If someone unexpected knocks on the door I have no real way of checking who it is. It could be anyone.
    Having the privacy of a back facing house is lovely, but the reality of it is that it is dangerous.
    I would also like to note the lack of security cameras and security staff on site during the night time. I was told by security that, the security camera cannot capture my house, so if anything happened it would prove difficult to figure out the culprits. As I am only a first year who just moved out of home I find this extremely unsafe. I understand that I have to learn to be independent and face the challenges of living alone without parents or guardians but knowing that there is a lack of security staff and cameras if a fighting though. There is over 150 houses here in Glasán, as I am sure you are aware of which means that there is definitely over 300 students living here and there is NO control of who comes in and out of them gates during the day and during the night. How is one security man supposed to watch all them houses and be responsible for making sure students have security!
    Recently there has been a lack of street lighting “down the back” of Glasán. Street light poles have been knocked over. I can presume that the cost of fixing these is quiet expensive but I would like to say that the irresponsible behaviour of one or a few students can’t be taken out on the rest of us. It is extremely dangerous without these street lights and the place is in total darkness.
    It is unsafe and God forbid something seriously bad will happened to a student someday and it is going to be down to the lack of security facilities and services provided by Glasán.
    As Glasán is practically right on campus, I would of expected much higher standards of living. I did not expect to be feared for my life while opening the door at night. Every cent I paid to live here is not worth it.

I can safelty guarantee I will not be living here next year or for the rest of my coming days in GMIT, unless the issues outlined above are sorted out.

First off, and not to be mean, but fragment your posts a bit. That was a nightmare to read!

You sound like you're genuinely fearful of living in the house, and your reasons are your own, but I have to ask why haven't you asked about moving into a different unit for the rest of the year? Surely if living in one of those houses is causing such a problem for you, moving would be an option?

I lived in various houses in Glasán over the years and apart from one incident I never once felt unsafe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

Hi all, I'm in GMIT at the moment and I'm living in Roselyn Gardens but will be moving out May 25th so if anyone's lookin for a room for the summer then send me a PM, it's €60 p/w, cheers, Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rach4227

Hey!! Got results from cluain mhuire.. So hopefully i think i might get in!! Any ideas on accommadation near cluain mhuire!! Not to pricey either!! And not to shabby either!! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bridgetmaryg

was just wondering if anyone could recommend where to live in galway either in the likes of glasan? or in a house around the renmore area? does anyone have any reccomendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lolabear

the students union should have an accomodation list that could be helpful :)

There's a sticky ^ up there, all about accommodation.. Maybe have a read through that.

But first year, I'd recommend Glasan tbh. It's full of first years and you'll get to know more people that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 iasc87

Hey. Moving to Galway to study in GMIT and was wondering if anyone has any advice on the best places to live and if theres any areas to avoid living in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ballybane / Castle Park ( north of the GMIT) is to be avoided. Anywhere else is fine generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

avoid the student village just across the road. spent a year there and well in the end i used to be paying for the air i used to breath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Glasan is a good spot. Have a lot of friends who stayed there and they recommend it. If you'd prefer to be closer to town then College Road is probably a better spot. Gleann na Ri doesn't get a lot of positive reviews I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Renmore or wellpark and your sorted for GMIT nice areas handy for college and on bus routes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

salthill or renmore are the best places,i have to admit though galway has its fair share of traveller families settled in estates so beware where you are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just merged the thread to make it easier for anybody who wants to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

salthill or renmore are the best places,i have to admit though galway has its fair share of traveller families settled in estates so beware where you are..

Holy phuck. A message from the 1970's.

Tara grove and wellpark estates are good, alot of people moan about them, but they are great places for craic and are close to gmit, and not too far from town either, stay away from glasan and other student villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Other options include living in the city centre (if you like life loud and close to lots of pubs etc) or Doughiska/Roscam (if you like the quiet life), and travelling.

Travel could be by bike or bus - see the New Mervue neighbourhood map for the location of GMIT relative to bus stops and routes (it's no 18).

Note: if you live in Salthill (which does have some charms, like the beach) be aware of the distance you'd need to travel each day - there is no direct bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 iasc87

Thanks for the help everyone, the house hunting starts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mr.boombastic

Im also moving up to Galway to study in GMIT in september as a mature student, Anyone have any advise on when its best to start viewing places to rent!!obviously would be silly leaving it till the last minute but i have no experience of renting accomodation and especially none in a student town!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

swiftman wrote: »
    avoid the student village just across the road. spent a year there and well in the end i used to be paying for the air i used to breath

much better to rent elsewhere as you will get nicer and more fair landlords. student villages is only good if you want to fail exams and its your first time away from home and all you want to do is party.
    i spent a year in one and they promise more than they give. 3nights a week i wouldnt get to sleep till 5am.

just checked and leaving results are out 15august so if your a mature student and already know you got your course then my advise is to start looking now.
    might be hard during race week but the later you leave it the less houses there is.

Advertisement