Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mithril wrote: »
    Everything I have seen on the log projects to a really good run on Sunday. You have trained hard , but intelligently, and recovering quickly from Donadea to run a PB in Barcelona one week earlier is a very good indicator. It's the most enjoyable road race I have ever run. I think you will love it on Sunday.

Thanks for the kind wors Mithril. Much appreciated
    claralara wrote: »
    I hope you’ve got your jump leads and tow rope ready to get me over that finish line!!

As long as you can stick the exhaust fumes ;):pac:

3.5 miles
    this evening @ 8:43 pace. That was a slow as I could run, legs feeling really good :eek: Same again in the morning before the carbo loading begins.

WTD 4 Runs 22.1 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|6/8|40.4
    Total|81/98|755.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Cmon N, we know you don't believe in all this carbo loading crap :)

All the best for your wee run. I predict great things ..... in the PUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Good luck tomorrow, the hard work is done, nearly, just think of that cool sweet sweet beer waiting at 39.3 miles. Just wait till ye sober up this time to write your report :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck, no doubt the hills around Rockbrook will serve you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Enjoy tomorrow. Looking forward to reading your report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Anyone know how he did?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

5.50, I believe

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think we can safely say he has become a real runner now. :pac:

I think we can safely say he has become a real runner now. :pac:

Well, i'm not so sure. there are so many things to improve on. You live as you learn but I am pretty sure i could have easily run 10 minutes faster in different conditions
    39.5 miles 39.53 miles in 5.50.43 (8:51 av pace.

This is certainly a different type of race from the norm. There is so much to think about: nutrition, hydration, electrolytes etc. I had listened to a lot of reports before this race before deciding on my tactics. In the end I decided to make 3 drop offs at 13, 26 and 35 miles with a bottle of flat coke and a chocolate bar. I had never drank a bottle of coke in a race before but I have to say the coke was an incredible relief and incredibly invigorating. I also carried 8 gels and 3 electrolyte tablet in a waist pouch which I took at various water stations.

Race report
    Went out with Oisin 1178 at 8.30 pace very religiously. As you can see from the splits, we were serious about pace over the first 10. after 10 I let feel go my way and ran 10-13 a bit fast, coming through 13.1 in 1:50 xx so we consciously slowed down for the next 13.1 letting a group go ahead of us (we would see most of these later). the next 13.1 were probably the most fun I have ever had in a race. We fell in with an American lad called seamus and paced the miles steady while sharing many jokes and stories. all the while we were passing may ultra runners yet we were running a steady 8:30 pace in beautiful scenery.

I had a drop-off point at 26 miles which consisted of a bottle of flat coke and a chocolate bar. Oisin had the same and seamus decided to use a portaloo at this point. When I got to the table Oisin found his pack straight away but I couldn't find mine and ended up loosing about 2 minutes stationary looking for it. When I got going again I was alone but was happy to have seamus rejoin me while going up leanune hill (oisin would run 1:45. xx after running 1:52 ish for the first two half’s.). Up through the hill was fine, we lost about a minute but I had been prepared to walk here and the hill was a lot less steep than I had been told about. When we got to the top I was feeling aerobically on top of the world. We got straight back to 8:30 pace and I felt I could go on forever.....however there was one problem. I started feeling cramps. I carried 3 electrolyte tablets but had only take one at 16 miles and only finished half the bottle. I felt the problem around 29 miles and took a second....I told seamus to push on at this point and slowed down by about 20 seconds /mile. I took a third and final electrolyte tablet at about 31 miles and was surprised I wasn’t cramping yet. TBH I though I was blessed......then At 33 miles (10k to go) It was like I had been shot by a snyper. I went down in the middle of the road with the worst cramp I had ever felt. It started in my hamstring and went through my side and arm and into my neck. I lay on the ground for a few minutes as the full and half walkers I had passed previously came streaming past... eventually a very kindly Dutch full walker helped relieve the cramp in the leg and i got moving again after a 3 minute walk break :o. Claralara came passed me at this point after I had passed her 2 miles previously (the princess told me to F*** off after trying to have a chat with her at 31 miles (her 18) :pac:)...... I got going again but the pace was now 9:30/ mile as opposed to 8:30. I had to hold the left toe up and land on my heel to avoid recramping for the next 3 miles and to make matters worse, about half way up the hell of the west I got cramp in the right leg as punishment for over compensating :rolleyes:...... had to stop for a second stretch at this point but realised I had over 40 minutes to do the last 5k and still get under 6 hours. I decide the best policy was to walk the rest of the hill (1 mile) and jog the last 2 miles down to the finish. I did this and finished easily under 6 hours (5:50:49) with a smile on my face.... What a great race!! Fantastic organisation and great company. We met up with Oisin, sarsfield rock, amiman, claralara and friend (v sexy) and had a great night out afterwards. This is definitely a smaller marathon from the norm but it is certainly 'special'. I don't know what the 'special' is but I can't see myself not doing this race again next year. 5:30 here we come. I want to get into the elusive negative split club :pac:

Wekly total 5 Runs 61.4 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|7/11|79.7
    Total|82/100|795

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great report Meno and well done... That cramp sounds terrible and fair play to us for struggling on... Its a pity not more people came to ur assistance... Like u i had a few difficult miles to content with but I've been bitten by the Conn bug too... 2012 looks a distinct possibility :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congratulations. Good recovery - that sounds like a tough last 10k.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    . Claralara came passed me at thi point after I had passed her 2 miles previously (the princess told me to F*** off after trying to have a chat with her at 31 miles (her 18) :pac:).]

Mile 18 may not be the best place (for most people) to start a cheery "chat".:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Cramp in the neck, fcking hell, never heard of that. I can just picture you running around the aid station all panicky looking for your bag. Hope you got the 50 euro off Sarsfieldrock. Well done on breaking the 6, sounds like a very good race, i may even be roped into it next year.

It will be good to have you back into the normal road running world for a few months, dont even think about Dingle :p

Cramp in the neck, fcking hell, never heard of that. I can just picture you running around the aid station all panicky looking for your bag. Hope you got the 50 euro off Sarsfieldrock. Well done on breaking the 6, sounds like a very good race, i may even be roped into it next year.

It will be good to have you back into the normal road running world for a few months, dont even think about Dingle :p

Luckily the dingle 50 miler is cancelled.
    R.E. Cramp, picture Christy brown lying on a road after falling out of his wheelchair. That was me :pac:

claralara and friend (v sexy)

Did your big ultra medal work it's magic for you?

Great race report, don't think Bord Failte Galway will be using it to draw people in for next year's race somehow.

mrslow wrote: »
    Did your big ultra medal work it's magic for you?

You can't belive how much of a babe magnet it was. Ask orna's mate liz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done meno on a great race and report. Congrats on going sub 6 :D

You can't belive how much of a babe magnet it was. Ask orna's mate liz.

Well then, congrats on both accounts;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

**** report:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    **** report:D

Want to fill in any missing details then? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great report. Captures the magic of the event. Made me wish I'd been there yesterday.

Told yee it was a really special race. :cool:

• Advertisement

Great report. Captures the magic of the event. Made me wish I'd been there yesterday.

Told yee it was a really special race. :cool:

Yes, last year I did the great ireland run. I can't think which one is better :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

One of the best race reports I've read, nice one!

One of the best race reports I've read, nice one!

Thanks bud. Imagine what I could do if I was sober. :pac:

Thanks bud. Imagine what I could do if I was sober. :pac:

How much drink had been taken when you decided to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Brilliant, well done meno

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

brilliant work, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Meno, bloody hell, lying in the middle of the road with cramp as people go by you. Can you imagine how many people were telling someone about the guy lying on the road screaming 'my bet, my bet' (my imagination here) as they ran by you. And then they find out that he finished. Great report and laughing out loud at it.

Fair play to you brother, savage performance and great job. I'm sure you were doing your cramp dance on the floor somewhere in the West last night. I'm thinking Saturday Night Fever with the medal and a white suit:D Sure tis no worries Claralara's friend was after you.

Altogether now, 'Cramp fever, Cramp fever, you know how to run it'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Davis Big Limo

Well done Meno on a great race. It sounds amazing so may give it a go next year.

Reports about Conn ultra make it sound so tempting, but there are certain people on here who would do me some serious damage if I so much as let the thought of doing it next year cross my mind :pac:

Well done Menopause, bet won :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats menoscreamo absolutely super although it sounds like you were having a stroke rather than cramp from your description. Time to change the log title me thinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement