Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOOM 3 BFG Edition, coming 2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,282 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sigh. Jesus, this is Star Wars Episode I all over again. Hyped up to holy hell, even though it was never going to live up to expectations. I know the game has some problems, but not to the point where it ruins the series.

Even if it wasn't hyped as much as it was, it'd still have been a boring game. It's not that it had production issues or bugged out or even looked crap, it's just dull. Jump scares are cheap and boring. The weapons were boring. It's just boring really.

I can remember upgrading my PC to play that along with Half Life 2 and FarCry. Doom 3 didn't get much of a look in after playing the two of them.

For anyone giving out about the sounds, the Trent Reznor sound pack helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

No need to get angry, we're all friends here!

Although Episode 1 is an apt comparison. A film that, over the course of 13 years or so, was derided and ripped apart by critic and audience alike. The consensus was that it wasn't very good at all. Then the re-release (in redundant 3D!) came along and made 50 million dollars theatrically.

To me, you can't polish a turd, and that's all this re-release is attempting IMO, just like Episode 1. If you're looking forward to it, who am I too deny you that? But it would take more than a makeover to make Doom 3 sing - it would take an entirely new game.
    Well, as I said before, there's always mods. If we're still making the Episode I comparison, the fan edits are to Star Wars, where the mods are to Doom 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jar Jar did look very like the imps... Just Saiyan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Count me as another D3 hater, it was linear and unimaginative, had a pretty engine but the environment was bland and finally the horror was utterly predictable. Total bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

A lot of the complaints at the time were that Doom 3 was too linear and not interactive enough, i.e., didn't have objectives and puzzles like in Half-Life 2, CoD, etc.

I say screw that - it was brill. A good old-fashioned, straight-up, balls-out, alien shooter with great graphics. I loved it! The number of times I jumped playing that game, I laugh to think of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Ardent wrote: »
    didn't have objectives and puzzles like in Half-Life 2

Yep. There's a lot to be said about not having your game be one giant physics tech demo

"oh look! *another* see-saw puzzle!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Great game imo.

Can't wait to get this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I played until I got the shotgun. I judge a FPS purely on how satisfying the shotgun weapon is, and so far I have not been disappointed. Half Life, Serious Sam, COD4, Deus Ex 3 even, they all had delightful shotties with a shoulder-smashing kick, gloriously satisfying damage output and a roar like the hounds of Hell.

Doom 3's shotgun handled, sounded and looked like a budget airsoft knockoff. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't play any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The shotgun is a big factor for me too and id usually deliver in spades with a good boomstick.

This, however, sounded like I was firing bits of tins of beans at people.

I thought the game was ok, not a Doom game at all and was incredibly bland in terms of monsters and level designs.

I got bored and decided to play around with the engine and posting these pics up on the Picture Of The Day thing on FileFront:

"Where's the usual receptionist? Oh........eh.....he's..........sick today."
    1137372973_61.jpg

"Hey Joe, watcha doin? What's that? What would happen if I pressed this?"
    1137536312_72.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, I do get what you're saying here, but I like old fps design. Hell, I still enjoy a bit of Wolfenstein 3D from time to time. And yes, the gun sounds could have been way better.
    Ah, here. Even Wolf3D had a way better level design than Doom3.

You know a monster will come from the corner. You throw a grenade into the corner. It goes bang. You move forward. The monster comes from the corner. It's too close by now, so you have to waste bullets on it.

And this happens every single time, in every single small corner. And there's heaps of these small corners. And you have to go by the corners.

And if you killed them and went back to collect the health? Yes, you guessed it; the monster would again spawn into the corner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

much prefered the following years Quake 4

Doom 3 was ok, but suffered from the the 'extended tech demo' feel of alot of ID games imo. Really felt like it was game made to sell the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just spotted on gamespot that this one is apparently gonna be 40quid as opposed to 50. Still seems a bit steep for a 10year old game. It's got expansions and the first to games too. Do these additions really even out the price though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

deathrider wrote: »
    It's got expansions and the first to games too.

As in the levels from the first two games?? That would be awesome..!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Ardent wrote: »
    As in the levels from the first two games?? That would be awesome..!

Whatever expansions were available for Doom 3 the first time round, I guess. It says:
    The BFG Edition includes remastered versions of the 2004 first-person shooter, its 2005 expansion Resurrection of Evil, and The Lost Mission, a new seven-mission pack. It also contains the original Doom and Doom II games

Advertisement