Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth Whitening

• 10-02-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey there.

Am due to get my braces off soon, and really want to get my teeth whitened.

Can anyone advise on anything they used or visited? Did it work and how expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

i know some places are doing lazer whitening for under a hundred euro, but be careful! i had considered getting this done, but asked my dentist and he said sometimes it leads to an increase in sensitivity which can be long term. not good! u could just get a scale and polish and they'll probably be lovely, or else dentists do whitening treatments with a gumshield and gel, but its usually quite expensive (a few hundred euros) and time consuming. just think long and hard about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Try one of the home kits first and see how happy you are with the results.

I used the Whizzer whitening strips and was really pleased with the whiteness without having to break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hey there.

Am due to get my braces off soon, and really want to get my teeth whitened.

Can anyone advise on anything they used or visited? Did it work and how expensive?

I got zoom in house and home kit done in dentist in balbriggan paid €250 that included a clean, scale and polish. In house treatment very painful I only lasted 30 mins out of 60 mins! So I topped up using home kit. Results are amazing. I can buy a year supply of peroxide from dentist for 50€! I am absolutely delighted with results anytime I want to brighten my teeth I pop in the home kit overnight! I have tried crest strips in the past but didn't notice any difference! As for sensitivity when you are getting it done it feels sensitive but I don't have any after effects! Balbriggan dentist were cheapest when I got it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fluffybunny124

Thanks a mill for all the replies guys,

Much appreciated, I have heard a few people advising to be careful of the laser whitening, that it can be very painful & leave teeth sensitive.

My friend got the gumshield off the dentist a few years ago,but she paid €500 nearly! She said it was brill tho- that ya needed to nearly wear sunglasses to look at her teeth, but she said when she uses the gel now- it just brightens them slightly.

I have never heard of the Whizzer whitening strips, where can they be bought ?

The zoom sounds great too, I don't suffer from sensitive teeth so hopefully this wont be an issue for me.

May just try the @ home ones first and then maybe the zoom.

I see offers on Groupon every now and then, but they can hardly be good can they ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I use the Crest Whitening Stripes and i find them very effective. I would definitely recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i use the white smiles offers on groupon, i've been twice. i got sensitive teeth and some pains for 24 hours, after that my teeth have been perfectly fine since
    very white
    crest whitestrips arent bad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I use the Crest Whitening Stripes and i find them very effective. I would definitely recommend them.
    Where can you buy them? I've never seen them anywhere I've looked for whitening products. :(

Posy wrote: »
    Where can you buy them? I've never seen them anywhere I've looked for whitening products. :(

I bought crest white stripes off eBay about 3 years ago to be honest I wouldn't waste my money on any of them! I think I paid €30 for a month but i only did it for about 3 days ! I found them very awkward and fiddley. If you don't want to get in house whitening with dentist get the home kit from them, the mouth guards are a mould of your mouth so fit exactly and you get a two years supply of peroxide. I think it only costs €100 in balbriggan dental care. If at any stage you want more it is only €50 for a years supply. In my opinion better value for money. At the end of the day it all depends on the results you want anyone I know who has had zoom their teeth are soooo white but look natural. My teeth were white enough anyway but
    the dentist told Me they are at the whitest natural shade! I live in south Dublin but made the trek to balbriggan as it was the cheapest price that I got quoted for zoom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I agree with pretty polly - crest strips are brill! I buy them off eBay i got a seven strip set of stain shield for less than a tenner. Do they work? Well a friend was convinced I'd had them whitened! You only leave the ones I have on five mins so they are not fiddly at all I just put them on when I'm doing my make up and take them off after

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Millem wrote: »
    I bought crest white stripes off eBay about 3 years ago to be honest I wouldn't waste my money on any of them! I think I paid €30 for a month but i only did it for about 3 days ! I found them very awkward and fiddley. If you don't want to get in house whitening with dentist get the home kit from them, the mouth guards are a mould of your mouth so fit exactly and you get a two years supply of peroxide. I think it only costs €100 in balbriggan dental care. If at any stage you want more it is only €50 for a years supply. In my opinion better value for money. At the end of the day it all depends on the results you want anyone I know who has had zoom their teeth are soooo white but look natural. My teeth were white enough anyway but
    the dentist told Me they are at the whitest natural shade! I live in south Dublin but made the trek to balbriggan as it was the cheapest price that I got quoted for zoom :)

You should have used the crest strips for more than 3 days to see results. It took me 2/3 uses to get used to applying the strips but now i can probably do it with my eyes closed!

Posy: Ebay is the cheapest place to get them but there are also some websites that sell them online such as tanzone.ie and valueventure.ie. Let us know how you get on:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I've heard that you can't get those Crest white strips in Ireland anywhere, as the active ingredient doesn't comply with health and safety or whatever it's called. No idea if that's true or not. I have heard they're by far the best ones to get though.

Millem wrote: »

You should have used the crest strips for more than 3 days to see results. It took me 2/3 uses to get used to applying the strips but now i can probably do it with my eyes closed!

Posy: Ebay is the cheapest place to get them but there are also some websites that sell them online such as tanzone.ie and valueventure.ie. Let us know how you get on:)

Didn't want to do them anymore as I found them uncomfortable and they made me gag!

Hi sorry only catching up on this now.

Whizzer are available in most pharmacies like McCabes, Unicare, Health Express.

I think the only place I haven't seen them is boots.

They work the exact same and the Crest strips but as previous posters have said, the peroxide levels are too high for them to be sold legally in the EU so that's why people have to go through the o
    Lis of eBay to get them.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Will look into them all and do my research as soon as I get my braces off.

Those zoom sound brill, hope i can source someone in the South East that can do it.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd really recommend going to your dentist first and just making sure that everything is OK.

I got the Night White system, through my dentist. I can't remember the exact cost, but it involved getting trays made which fitted my teeth and then enough chemicals to last for two full courses of treatment. I've used one - that was about 18 months ago, and I'm only now thinking about a second round of treatment. I have the tubes of chemicals at home, so it means no additional cost.

My dentist did warn me that it could make my teeth (already sensitive) more sensitive, but a tube of Sensodyne helped with that.

Overall, very pleased with the results, and I felt reassured that it came from my dentist.

iWhite on special offer on Pigsback.

Have used this beofre with excellent results.

Its 20 minutes a day for 5 days with the mouth guard included.

Excellent price.

Just bumping this up as have just got my braces off yesterday! :D

Delighted with the results and now am going mad to find a local dentist to find a suitable treatment.

Thinking I would mostly like the Mouth Shield one , just after researching all my options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Just bumping this up as have just got my braces off yesterday! :D

Delighted with the results and now am going mad to find a local dentist to find a suitable treatment.

Thinking I would mostly like the Mouth Shield one , just after researching all my options.
    Yah for getting braces off, it's a great feeling when you finally see the results, all those years of painfull tightening and wires are worth it when the end product is this :D

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago my teeth were nice and straight, but I just wanted to brighten them up a little. I went to my dentist and got the moulded mouth guards fitted. They aren't uncomfortable to wear at all. A little tip for you, I applied the paste directly to my teeth with a tiny brush ( I got it in an art shop) because when you apply it to the mouth gaurd it splurges everywhere except onto your teeth, so just put a little squirt into the mouth guard. I went back to the dentist a few weeks later and my teeth had changed by 4 shades. I was delighted with the result and would recommend it to everyone.

Thanks Lollers!

Have emailed a few dentists so waiting for them to get back to me awith prices and more info.

Thanks for tip about the tiny toothbrush. Do ya remember by any chance the name of the one you used?

Thanks =)

Hi fluffybunny, can't remember the exact name of the paintbrush but it was very similar to this http://www.winsornewton.com/products/brushes/for-acrylic-colour/artists-acrylic/short-filbert just make sure it has a tiny head and is made with acrylic. Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Lollers wrote: »
    Hi fluffybunny, can't remember the exact name of the paintbrush but it was very similar to this http://www.winsornewton.com/products/brushes/for-acrylic-colour/artists-acrylic/short-filbert just make sure it has a tiny head and is made with acrylic. Best of luck :)

Hi Lollers . I think we got our wires crossed . I meant the name of the whitening treatment you used on your teeth . Lol :)

It's grand if ya can't remember and thanks for posing other pic too :)

Hi Lollers . I think we got our wires crossed . I meant the name of the whitening treatment you used on your teeth . Lol :)

Ha, must a been that few glasses of wine last night. The product I used was called Illumine http://www.dentsply.co.uk/Products/Whitening/Illuminé.aspx you'll be sparkling white in no time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

can people who used crest post photos of their results? I've been contemplating buying them for a couple of months now

Advertisement