Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless Password?

• 03-06-2009 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

HELP PLEASE!!
    I have a Netgear wireless router supplied by UPC who are my broadband service provider. My own laptop connects fine to it. But I need a password for anyone else's, and for my phone... and I don't have one. I contacted UPC and they said to try my account number, which didn't work. Then they said I'd have to contact Netgear myself (which I have complained about, having checked with the National Consumer Agency first). I am waiting on UPC to respond and to fix this.
    In the meantime, can anyone else advise? Incidentally, I have been with UPC for 18 months, and this has always been a problem - I am only getting around to sorting it now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

just type in 192.168.1.1 into the browser of the computer that you can connect to the internet.
    then the user name is admin and password is just password.
    then go to wireless settings or something like that and it shows you your password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browers on your laptop than can connect to the internet. It will ask for a user name and password type admin and password. You should now be able to login into your wireless router. Go to wireless setting a security options such as (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK) should be ticked. Under it should be a box for a passphrase. Type in a password you can remember in this box (This will be the one you give to the other user). Also make sure you know the name (SSID) of your network. when you have updated your password click apply. You will now be kick off your network and have to enter your new password to access it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Does not work on mine

I have the new modem I suppose, the Cisco one. The 20MB been installed 2 weeks ago.
    First day issue, the support guy tried to get me in, he told me the password was WP2466, something like this, we tried it did not worked either.

Anyone?

mick.fr wrote: »
    Does not work on mine

I have the new modem I suppose, the Cisco one. The 20MB been installed 2 weeks ago.
    First day issue, the support guy tried to get me in, he told me the password was WP2466, something like this, we tried it did not worked either.

Anyone?
    Is the details not on the bottom of the wireless modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

Does not work on mine

Anyone?

if you press and hold in the reset button on the back of the cisco modem the network name and password are reverted to the default ones which are located on a sticker on the modem. network name will be upc21212 or something along those lines and the password will be random numbers and letters.

• Advertisement

Gdep wrote: »
    if you press and hold in the reset button on the back of the cisco modem the network name and password are reverted to the default ones which are located on a sticker on the modem. network name will be upc21212 or something along those lines and the password will be random numbers and letters.

Not sure it is a good idea to reset the modem, will lose the UPC settings most likely...

Not sure it is a good idea to reset the modem, will lose the UPC settings most likely...
    The only thing it will reset is the wireless setting not your BB connection to upc

I am afraid there is no sticker with the password.
    Only information I have got on the sticker is the SSID and the passphrase.
    Not gonna take the risk.

I am afraid there is no sticker with the password.
    Only information I have got on the sticker is the SSID and the passphrase.
    Not gonna take the risk.
    The SSID and passphrase is your login details!

DingDong wrote: »
    The SSID and passphrase is your login details!

No does not work either.
    Would have been too easy :D

• Advertisement

The button only reset the wireless security details. Have a look at this thread to show how to login to your router you should then be able to change the password and SSID

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If you have not changed the settings on the NetGear Router, the passphrase is your UPC account number by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ExDipper

DingDong wrote: »
    Type 192.168.1.1 into your browers on your laptop than can connect to the internet. It will ask for a user name and password type admin and password. You should now be able to login into your wireless router. Go to wireless setting a security options such as (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK) should be ticked. Under it should be a box for a passphrase. Type in a password you can remember in this box (This will be the one you give to the other user). Also make sure you know the name (SSID) of your network. when you have updated your password click apply. You will now be kick off your network and have to enter your new password to access it again.

Hi guys

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it's not fixing my problem. I did get kicked off my network, and the passphrase I entered let me back on. However, it won't let me connect via another device - I'm currently using my iPhone to connect. Is there something else I need to do?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try your UPC account number, The fella installing mine used account number for the password, good luck

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ExDipper

ExDipper wrote: »
    Hi guys

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it's not fixing my problem. I did get kicked off my network, and the passphrase I entered let me back on. However, it won't let me connect via another device - I'm currently using my iPhone to connect. Is there something else I need to do?
    JUST FIXED IT!!! HURRAAAYYYY!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):):)
    I messed around on that page you have given me the address of (pardon my grammar!) and came on a 'Turn Access Control' on checkbox. When I unchecked it, I could connect using the passphrase. Then when I refreshed the list, I could add my phone to the list of allowed devices... Does any of that make sense?
    Anyhow, thank you all so much for your help in sorting this for me. Can't believe UPC couldn't and were referring me back to NetGear for support... Plus ca change and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

JUST FIXED IT!!! HURRAAAYYYY!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):):)
    I messed around on that page you have given me the address of (pardon my grammar!) and came on a 'Turn Access Control' on checkbox. When I unchecked it, I could connect using the passphrase. Then when I refreshed the list, I could add my phone to the list of allowed devices... Does any of that make sense?
    Anyhow, thank you all so much for your help in sorting this for me. Can't believe UPC couldn't and were referring me back to NetGear for support... Plus ca change and all that...

Untill recently UPC used Netgear routers.
    They're just rolling out this Cisco modem now.
    You were probably speaking to a customer support aganet rather than a tech support agent who didn't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 lirim

HELP PLEASE!!
    I have a Netgear wireless router supplied by UPC who are my broadband service provider. My own laptop connects fine to it. But I need a password for anyone else's, and for my phone... and I don't have one. I contacted UPC and they said to try my account number, which didn't work. Then they said I'd have to contact Netgear myself (which I have complained about, having checked with the National Consumer Agency first). I am waiting on UPC to respond and to fix this.
    In the meantime, can anyone else advise? Incidentally, I have been with UPC for 18 months, and this has always been a problem - I am only getting around to sorting it now!

Dude. in the back of your modem there's a buton, take a a pen and hold it for abouut 30 seconds, that will reset, what u need to do then is set up a new wireless network with a new username and password u can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

lirim wrote: »
    Dude....

Dude, this thread is 2 years old. Don't do that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement