Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play Jack Monday

• 17-02-2012 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Glad to see the West African division of War of Independence has been remembered in the name of a new cafe in Thomondgate. Along with the Limerick Soviet, it's a small bit of history that's good to see remembered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Kess73 wrote: »
    Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.

The O'Ruairc (?) book is a great little read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Kess73 wrote: »

Limericks Fighting Story is a brilliant book detailing the various incidents around Limerick at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

The O'Ruairc (?) book is a great little read.

More info here on this post on the Limerick Library Thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 superheroger

what a brilliant story. well done to the new cafe in thomondgate for commemorating such a brave man, we needed all the help we could get in those years. I will definately have a coffee in his honour at Jack Mondays very soon.:):o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Raiser

what a brilliant story. well done to the new cafe in thomondgate for commemorating such a brave man, we needed all the help we could get in those years. I will definately have a coffee in his honour at Jack Mondays very soon.:):o

I will now too aim to spend money in your Cafe Timmy Tuesday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I live very nearby and have already been there a few times.

It's a lovely little spot, with good food that isn't expensive. It's been tastefully decorated inside, and there's a nice deck onto the river which will be a cool place to hang out in summer time.

He should consider opening in the evenings because the footfall on Clancy Strand is quite high at these times, compared to during the day time, and he could get a lot of business from this passing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 superheroger

Also I might add its a great show of courage to open a business in Ireland in these challenging times. The location required a nice cafe for local residents, pass /walking trade and our tourists. well done Mr. Jack Monday and may you do exceedingly well. :cool::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I can't wait to spend all my money in there now that I've read this on teh internets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Raiser

Also I might add its a great show of courage to open a business in Ireland in these challenging times. The location required a nice cafe for local residents, pass /walking trade and our tourists. well done Mr. Jack Monday and may you do exceedingly well. :cool::eek:

Please stop insulting our intellilgunces, it hurts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

zulutango wrote: »
    I live very nearby and have already been there a few times.

It's a lovely little spot, with good food that isn't expensive. It's been tastefully decorated inside, and there's a nice deck onto the river which will be a cool place to hang out in summer time.

He should consider opening in the evenings because the footfall on Clancy Strand is quite high at these times, compared to during the day time, and he could get a lot of business from this passing trade.

Agree with all the above. Well kitted out
    Was in there and and I believe they will have a wine licence and later opening soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Finally got myself to Jack Monday's. Excellent place, can't really fault it (only oddity is having to pick a teabag out of a box). Very clean, polite staff, good quality cakes, great view of the river (will be fantastic in summer). Especially pleased there's no intrusive piped music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Does anybody know what the opening hours are?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the opening hours are?

8.30 to 6 Monday to Saturday according to facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Finally got myself to Jack Monday's. Excellent place, can't really fault it (only oddity is having to pick a teabag out of a box). Very clean, polite staff, good quality cakes, great view of the river (will be fantastic in summer). Especially pleased there's no intrusive piped music.

Was it busy?

I'd love to see it do well. :)

Was it busy?

I'd love to see it do well. :)

It was when I went - about 25 other customers, though this was on a Saturday. It's a pity they're not open on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Louche Lad wrote: »
    It was when I went - about 25 other customers, though this was on a Saturday. It's a pity they're not open on Sundays.

They are open on Sundays, I've been down there many a Sunday morning.

They are open on Sundays, I've been down there many a Sunday morning.

Yes, I see from their Facebook page they open at 12 noon on Sundays — they must have changed their hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I was there last Saturday morning, and was very impressed with their coffee, the place itself is really nice and as expected the view is fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I was there last Saturday morning, and was very impressed with their coffee, the place itself is really nice and as expected the view is fab.

Yea, It's a really nice place.

As any Limerick people will know that the original premises was the Treaty Bar. Not the place for a Sunday morning coffee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Yea, It's a really nice place.

As any Limerick people will know that the original premises was the Treaty Bar. Not the place for a Sunday morning coffee!
    For the non nationals among ye - where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

langdang wrote: »
    For the non nationals among ye - where is this?

It's the building across the road from St Munchin's Church & Treaty Stone, right next to Thomond bridge, used to be a bar many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bef

jack mondays is really nice,check it out if youre around

Advertisement