Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car advice

• 20-05-2012 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

OH got a new job that she will need to drive to and reckons that the 97 fiesta won't do any more.:rolleyes:

Journey will be 35 mins of N4 and M50.

Want to keep costs to a minimum, but also want a car that minimises any chance of any sort of mechanical issue occurring on the motorway.

Looking to keep costs (loan/tax/insurance) other than petrol to under 300 notes a month, and keep the car around the size / power of a fiesta.

Suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If I were you I would be trying to get them into a 05-06 Focus 1.6 tdci. Small cars are just not suited to the commute you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Civic 1.7 diesel would do the trick too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Polo 1.4 tdi.......low tax,running costs and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

I cannot see why that fiesta can't do that commute. I do that in a Polo when dropping my brother to work, not a bother. I hope you're not getting suckered in by a new job = spend money idea.

Get a new car by all means, but not at the cost of your current situation.

All that aside, how long do you want to be in a loan for? plenty of lower tax bracket cars are available and with reliable engines as well.

I can't imagine any recent car having any mechanical problems on the motorway if its fully serviced and kept in good condition. Cars don't just stop working for no reason, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

barura wrote: »
    I cannot see why that fiesta can't do that commute. I do that in a Polo when dropping my brother to work, not a bother. I hope you're not getting suckered in by a new job = spend money idea.

Get a new car by all means, but not at the cost of your current situation.

All that aside, how long do you want to be in a loan for? plenty of lower tax bracket cars are available and with reliable engines as well.

I can't imagine any recent car having any mechanical problems on the motorway if its fully serviced and kept in good condition. Cars don't just stop working for no reason, after all.

i totally agree with this, why put the burden of this extra cost, spend some money on a good service on the car you have, take car to a good non dealer, their out there and tell them you want this car for your new job and need it in condition to do that run , and make sure they dont pull your pants down in the process, then if you want put some money aside over the next year or so saving for your new car, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭StudentDad

i totally agree with this, why put the burden of this extra cost, spend some money on a good service on the car you have, take car to a good non dealer, their out there and tell them you want this car for your new job and need it in condition to do that run , and make sure they dont pull your pants down in the process, then if you want put some money aside over the next year or so saving for your new car, :)

Hyundai I30?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

StudentDad wrote: »
    Hyundai I30?

They're only out 5 years, which wouldn't tie in with the keeping costs to a minimum bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

If I were you I would be trying to get them into a 05-06 Focus 1.6 tdci. Small cars are just not suited to the commute you describe.

She doesn't want anything bigger, just a little bit newer and different. The engine in the fiesta is a bit rough at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

OH got a new job that she will need to drive to and reckons that the 97 fiesta won't do any more.:rolleyes:

Journey will be 35 mins of N4 and M50.

Want to keep costs to a minimum, but also want a car that minimises any chance of any sort of mechanical issue occurring on the motorway.

Looking to keep costs (loan/tax/insurance) other than petrol to under 300 notes a month, and keep the car around the size / power of a fiesta.

Suggestions???

The girl I sold my old 97 Fiesta to travels to Cavan town every day from Navan and back again, 5 days a week. That little car doesn't even break into a sweat!

When I last saw it a few weeks ago it had something like 7k miles put up in about 3 months :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i know im going off the topic slightly but i was just in town and i saw a nissan sunny, 1992, and it was in good nick , i told man car was looking good for age, he said there was over 300k miles on clock and never let him down, kept oil changes frequent, i told my wife, i love to see somebody get value out of something, and thats what the op should do, cracking stuff!!!!!!

i bought a audi avant 1.9tdi red 2003 a few years ago and it cost a small fortune, im keeping this baby all my freeking life , :0)

• Advertisement
Advertisement