Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Tralee

• 05-02-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hello

Myself and my boyfriend are going to Tralee for a couple of nights this month (Saturday and Sunday) and I'm wondering if there's anything in particular we should do/go to see? We'll have a car, so we'll be exploring a bit, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

I had a look through the sticky but couldn't really find anything (apologies if I missed something - I'll admit I didn't look through all pages as there are a lot...)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Hello

Myself and my boyfriend are going to Tralee for a couple of nights this month (Saturday and Sunday) and I'm wondering if there's anything in particular we should do/go to see? We'll have a car, so we'll be exploring a bit, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

I had a look through the sticky but couldn't really find anything (apologies if I missed something - I'll admit I didn't look through all pages as there are a lot...)

where are you staying? There are plenty of bars in the town, some nice restaurants such as Bella Bia, Cassidy's, Finnegans.
    There is a good museum in the town centre, which is definitely worth a visit. You are not far from beaches for a nice walk or just a drive. Banna, Fenit, Derrymore to name but a few!
    If you have time you could drive to Dingle and see the spectacular views. Its about a 40 minute drive, so give yourself time.

Anything else you want to know just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Do a tour out around dingle too would be good if its raining

or else over to killarney national park for a walk

Banna beach is nice for a walk and I think you might be able to go pony trecking in Castlegregory

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

sheesh wrote: »
    Do a tour out around dingle too would be good if its raining

or else over to killarney national park for a walk

Banna beach is nice for a walk and I think you might be able to go pony trecking in Castlegregory

Around Dingle if it is raining, am I right?
    Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    where are you staying? There are plenty of bars in the town, some nice restaurants such as Bella Bia, Cassidy's, Finnegans.
    There is a good museum in the town centre, which is definitely worth a visit. You are not far from beaches for a nice walk or just a drive. Banna, Fenit, Derrymore to name but a few!
    If you have time you could drive to Dingle and see the spectacular views. Its about a 40 minute drive, so give yourself time.

Anything else you want to know just ask :)

I can't remember the name of the place, Brandon House or similar maybe? It's quite big, has a conference centre too and seems to be fairly central. I think I read in the sticky about Bella Bia alright - will probably try there. It's Italian, right?

Any pubs in particular? I'd love a fire and a smoking area...but beggars can't be choosers :)

Thanks both, I've never been there before so this is good. Is the Ring of Kerry doable? I think probably not as it's fairly big, but no harm in asking...and we will probably check out Banna seeing as you've both mentioned it.

One other thing - will we need a map or is the area well signposted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think the poster meant "not" raining when visiting Dingle! I suggest bringing a map even though I would think most tourist spots are fairly well signposted. As a former native, I guess I don't need signposts so not something I would pay too much attention to!

Seanog's in Bridge Street is a lovely olde worlde trad pub with fire, low ceilings, nooks and trad music. I think they have a little smoking snug near the back but I could be mistaken. Roundys Bar is a hidden gem off the tourist path but also worth visiting. Just go up the lane on the main street (the Mall) between Penneys and Heatons and it is around the corner from the Abbeygate hotel. It's another place that has a welcome fire and live music at weekends. If you fancy a late bar after, try either Abbey Inn (opposite Seanogs) but it can get mobbed or Blasket on Castle Street (slightly older crowd).

Yes, the Brandon is the biggest hotel. It has a small leisure centre if you fancy bringing swim gear or else try the Aqua Dome water park (slides/rapids etc) down the road. Bella Bia is Italian (recommended) and Il Pomo Doro (also Italian and recommended) is just up from the Brandon Hotel before the church. Also, a mile outside the town on the Dingle road is the quaint village of Blennerville. There is a working windmill and famine ship museum there that is worth passing an hour. Across from there is the Stationhouse pub which is great for a glass of wine and I recommend their gourmet style burgers.

Enjoy the weekend and post back how you got on. I always like to hear feedback on the place from visitors!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I can't remember the name of the place, Brandon House or similar maybe? It's quite big, has a conference centre too and seems to be fairly central. I think I read in the sticky about Bella Bia alright - will probably try there. It's Italian, right?

Any pubs in particular? I'd love a fire and a smoking area...but beggars can't be choosers :)

Thanks both, I've never been there before so this is good. Is the Ring of Kerry doable? I think probably not as it's fairly big, but no harm in asking...and we will probably check out Banna seeing as you've both mentioned it.

One other thing - will we need a map or is the area well signposted?

The Brandon Hotel is what you mean. It is very central. The Bella Bia Italian restaurant is literally 50m away on Ivy Terrace across the road from the Brandon.

There are a number of pubs you might like in Tralee like Sean Ogs which is literally about 3-4 minute walk from the hotel front door and the Abbey across the road from it if you are looking for a late pint, again literally down the road from your hotel so no big journey back to bed.

The County Museum which is just further down from Bella Bia is the highlight to visit in Town. There is the Aqua Dome as well but I assume you have access to the Brandon's pool and leisure suite. During the day, outside of the County Museum, there isn't much to see in Tralee bar the Town Park with the Rose Garden etc.

I am sure you can pick up a basic map at the Brandon. For directions to the Brandon just stop anyone and ask them for directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Betty's 5 min walk from the Brandon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ring of Kerry is possible, but a long. long day to see it properly. Drive out over the Conor Pass to Dingle,you can have a mosey round the town even if it's raining and hole up in Murphy's Ice-cream! A drive out around Slea Head is amazing.It's worth noting that it can be wet in Tralee and dry in Dingle or vice-versa.

My ultimate Slea Head trip

Leave Dingle as signposted for Slea head. About 3 miles out, you will see a sign to the left for Colaiste Íde stables. Follow this left turn and then drive down the avenue (again a left turn) to see the collection of Ogham stones and tree ferns gathered by Lord Ventry (the big house where they once lived is now a girls' boarding school)

Back on the main road, you should really get our for a stroll on Ventry beach, scene of the historic battle between the Fianna and The King of the world -there's a small car park right by the beach.

www.dingle-peninsula.ie/ventry/v-history.html

The little pottery (The Bradán Feasa) does mugs with names on, might be nice presents for someone. It has a small cafe too,but for me the big attraction is the paintings on Irish history on the walls..

Back on the road, just a bit up from the pottery, the main road winds to the left, take the right fork (careful, it's a bit blind) and drive up the road to see Rathinane Castle, a brooding ruin built inside an ancient fort.

Ok, back down the road to Ventry again, rejoin the main road. This will bring you to the little church and Paidí o Se's pub( former Kerry Gaelic footballer)
    Not a fan of the place,but there are lots of interesting photos to see.

Continue on the main road, go to Dunbeg and the beehives.
    On the road you will see that a stream runs across the road. Just beyond this is a carpark on the left. Pull in for a minute here, just below the wall here was where the "house" Tom Cruise "lived in " in the film "Far and Away" -nothing remains though!!

On again and most people stop at the crucifix to take in their first proper view of the islands and Dunmore head. Watch out for cheeky seagulls!

On again, you'll see a building on the left, Tig Slea Head,also a cafe and has Irish goods on sale (it belongs to Quills who also own Strand street house) To your left you will see the beautiful beach of Com uí Neoil.Lovely to walk on, but not safe for swimming. It was used for the gun-running scene in "Ryan's daughter." The hill before you is Dunmore head, you might choose to walk it.

Back on the road, on to a wider stretch(new road, the old one, close to the cliff fell into the sea. )The graveyard here is the burial place of the reknowned author Peig Sayers.As you drive on you will see the sign to the ferry on your left,even if you choose not to go to into the island ,keep your eyes peeled to the left and you will see a monument to the Spainish Armada ships that were lost in the area.

Back on the road, keep your eyes out for a little road to your right. This was the old road to Ventry and it's worth driving up to the top of the hill for the stunning views out to the Iveragh pennisula on one side and the Blaskets on the other.Turn around, down the hill ,trun right onto the main road again.You will come shortly to a four cross roads. The right fork will take you to the little Catholic church,the rather rough burial ground is the burial place of the "Island man" Tomas o Criothainn ,whose statue you will see outside the Blasket Centre.

The Ionad (centre) is excellent- and I usually hate these places. The bookshop at the entrance is run by the man who owns th excellent bookshop , An Cafe Lithertha in town.There's food to be had here, but I'd skip it for a minute.

Back on the main road, a few hundred yards along, the road winds to the right. If you pull into the little lane on the left(don't block gates) you can see the "schoolhouse" built for Ryans Daughter. There is also a tiny holy well here dedicated to St Gobnait.The hill you see to your right was where the Ryan's Daughter village was built and then dismantled, all that is left is the stony surface of what was the street.

You will be driving inland for a small bit, but as you approach the sea again, you really must pull into the left to take the view, down to Ferriter's cove and Clothar beach-both unsafe for swimming. The rough tracks parallell to the road here is where the Far and Away village was-and also where the scene from Ryan's Daughter where they wait for the bus was shot.

By now, it must be lunch time and the wonderful Tigh Aine is worth the stop, for the view alone-and of course the Murphy's Ice-cream. The view from Clothair beach out to the island known as "An Fear marbh" -the dead man or the Sleeping Giant is fantastic and the crash of the waves on the beach is almost hypnotic. Back to the road, you will see the Louis Mulchahy pottery ,with its tradmark Fuschia design,again worth a look.

Back on the road, you move inland, away to your left you will see the holiday homes and golf course at Dun an oir (The fort of gold).

If you fancy it, drive down to the fort itself, slippy and not for the fainthearted, but you can see it from the carpark.

Back to main road, you come to Ballyferriter. There is a small museum here,there is a large carved stone in front of it-except it's made of fibre glass-and was used in Ryan's Daughter. Continue on, you will come to a t-junction, the right turn will bring you back to Ventry,your left turn will take you to Riasc, where you will find the pub Brics ,stop here, have a coffee or pint and listen to the locals talk Irish. Beyone the pub, the narrow road to your right brings you to the remains of Riasc monastery.

Back down to the mainroad, you will find a turn to the left -the hotel here would not be on my list.This turn will take you to another t junction(there's a campsite in front of you. ) Skip the first "entrance" and drive up the narrow road to the free parking-and down to the oratory. If you feel brave on narrow roads, keep on this little lane and it will bring you to another pottery.

http://www.sineadloughceramics.com/

If you take this route, at the top of the hill after the pottery you will turn left and soon come to Kilmalkeader.If courage fails, go back to the main rod, turn right, you will pass the local Gaelic football ground home to the Gaeltacht team. Follow the road around to the right and turn right up by the shop and you will come to Kilmalkedar

Be sure to climb through the narrow window at the back of the old church as it is said that anyone who does so will go straight to heaven when they die!The tall stone in the graveyard with a hole through it was a marriage stone, each party stood at a different side of th stone and put their index fingers through the hole, as the fingers met, the couple were declared married!

Back down the hill and turn right, you will pass through Carrig with its church and shop and follow on this road towads Feothanach. You descend a hill with a sharp bend right, at the t-junction by the Cuinne pub,turn left and then right, follow this road and you will come to a cross roads signposted for Cuas.Drive down this road to your left and you will see a monument to St Brendan, who was supposed to have sailed from this litttle inlet to discover America. Walk down to the little pier, there is a special athmosphere here. The mountain of Brandon towers over you, it may be climbed from this side but is usually climbed from the other side.

Back up to the cross roads and keep straight on,you will rejoin the main road, turn left and this will bring you back to the roundabout outside of Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Go to the Museum... it really is worth the time.

Check to see if there is anything on at Siamsa Tire?

Go to Dingle.. go via Camp (stop in Ashes Bar for a Guinness) and Annascaul (stop in the South Pole Inn for a Guinness). come back via Conor Pass - the highest road in Ireland and SPECTACULAR!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

you may need more than 2 nights!! but then again, you can always come back for another visit :)
    This part of Kerry is fab, so I hope you have a lovely time :)

Thanks so much for all your help...I'm really looking forward to it now. And we'll make sure to stop off for a nice Guinness in the aforementioned Ashes bar, as Himself is very fond of the black stuff. I'm also particularly interested in visiting Kilmalkedar now I've heard of it. I'm shockingly ignorant of Irish culture outside my own province, I'm afraid :o

I will probably come back for more questions if anyone can answer before I head off, but if I don't, I will make sure to post back and say how I got on.

Thanks again everyone, this is very much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input everyone, we had a lovely weekend. The only problem was it was just too short.

We didn't get down until fairly late on Saturday, and had to leave early enough on Monday, which meant we only really had the full day on Sunday to explore. So we ended up driving the Ring of Kerry. It was beautiful. We were very lucky with the weather, which helped, but it was just so lovely. Far, far nicer than any scenery over on the east coast, I have to say. We stopped a couple of times on the way too, to get something to eat/stretch our legs etc. Killarney was one place we stopped, which seems nice but full of B&Bs. I'm surprised they're all still in business, it was packed with them. Everywhere we looked there was another one.

Anyway, back to Tralee. The Brandon Hotel was alright, fairly mediocre, but it did the job. Bed, smoking room, shower, grand. We ate there one night, and went to the above mentioned Bella Bia the next, which we loved. It was just what we were looking for, a normal down-to-earth place where I could indulge my love of pizza :) So cheap too, I couldn't believe the price difference between there and Dublin.

For drinks, we decided to ramble and see where we ended up. So we went to Kirby's Brogue Inn first of all, which was grand. There was a 40th on there though and we were almost the only ones not at it, so we left. We wanted to explore a bit more anyway, get a taste of a few other pubs :)

Next we tried The Blasket, pretty good but very busy. Quick service though, and a good atmosphere. Lively but not too loud. There was another place a few doors up but I can't think of the name of it - small entrace, long corridor, then into the pub. It looked great but was way too busy so we skipped it. Instead we wandered on to Dowdie's, bit of an old man spot by the looks of things but we liked it. Also I'd had a bit too much to drink by that stage so I didn't mind where we ended up :o Lovely decor, and efficient staff. A lovely fire too but we went past that and out to the pool table and watched a few locals.

On Sunday night I was feeling the effects of the night before (oops) so we just went for the one, and went to Hennessey's. Great mix of people there, seems to cater for all ages, although some young lads came in near enough midnight playing pool and they were pretty loud and underage looking. They didn't stay for long - may have been thrown out, actually - but that didn't spoil the place. Proper old school boozer with a few modern touches thrown in, like the heated smoking area with comfy seats.

Overall, great impression of Kerry. I hope to go back pretty soon :)

Thanks for all the input everyone, we had a lovely weekend. The only problem was it was just too short.

We didn't get down until fairly late on Saturday, and had to leave early enough on Monday, which meant we only really had the full day on Sunday to explore. So we ended up driving the Ring of Kerry. It was beautiful. We were very lucky with the weather, which helped, but it was just so lovely. Far, far nicer than any scenery over on the east coast, I have to say. We stopped a couple of times on the way too, to get something to eat/stretch our legs etc. Killarney was one place we stopped, which seems nice but full of B&Bs. I'm surprised they're all still in business, it was packed with them. Everywhere we looked there was another one.

Anyway, back to Tralee. The Brandon Hotel was alright, fairly mediocre, but it did the job. Bed, smoking room, shower, grand. We ate there one night, and went to the above mentioned Bella Bia the next, which we loved. It was just what we were looking for, a normal down-to-earth place where I could indulge my love of pizza :) So cheap too, I couldn't believe the price difference between there and Dublin.

For drinks, we decided to ramble and see where we ended up. So we went to Kirby's Brogue Inn first of all, which was grand. There was a 40th on there though and we were almost the only ones not at it, so we left. We wanted to explore a bit more anyway, get a taste of a few other pubs :)

Next we tried The Blasket, pretty good but very busy. Quick service though, and a good atmosphere. Lively but not too loud. There was another place a few doors up but I can't think of the name of it - small entrace, long corridor, then into the pub. It looked great but was way too busy so we skipped it. Instead we wandered on to Dowdie's, bit of an old man spot by the looks of things but we liked it. Also I'd had a bit too much to drink by that stage so I didn't mind where we ended up :o Lovely decor, and efficient staff. A lovely fire too but we went past that and out to the pool table and watched a few locals.

On Sunday night I was feeling the effects of the night before (oops) so we just went for the one, and went to Hennessey's. Great mix of people there, seems to cater for all ages, although some young lads came in near enough midnight playing pool and they were pretty loud and underage looking. They didn't stay for long - may have been thrown out, actually - but that didn't spoil the place. Proper old school boozer with a few modern touches thrown in, like the heated smoking area with comfy seats.

You missed Tralee's main attraction the County Museum with the train ride through the recreation of Tralee in the Geraldine period with all the sounds and smells! Boooo hisss..... :D

The pub a few doors from the Blasket with the small entrance and long 'corridor' sounds like Turners which is next the St John's Church junction. At first I thought you were describing the Mall Tavern but if you were between the Blasket and 'Dowdies' then it can only be Turners. BTW 'Dowdies' would be better known by its old name of the 'Slieve Mish' by the locals.

PS if it came down to a choice of doing the Ring of Kerry or the Dingle Peninsula I would pick the Dingle Peninsula anyday. There is a lot more to see and do in West Kerry, a walk around Dingle, out to Slea Head for the view and Ballyferriter for the view of the Blaskets and the Blaskets musuem and the Conor Pass on your return journey plus you have fabulous pubs to stop in and gander at all the photos like Tom Crean's South Pole bar, Paidi O'Se's in Ventry and Fitzgeralds in Dingle. I really do not see the massive attraction in the Ring of Kerry by comparison.

kn wrote: »
    You missed Tralee's main attraction the County Museum with the train ride through the recreation of Tralee in the Geraldine period with all the sounds and smells! Boooo hisss..... :D

The pub a few doors from the Blasket with the small entrance and long 'corridor' sounds like Turners which is next the St John's Church junction. At first I thought you were describing the Mall Tavern but if you were between the Blasket and 'Dowdies' then it can only be Turners. BTW 'Dowdies' would be better known by its old name of the 'Slieve Mish' by the locals.

PS if it came down to a choice of doing the Ring of Kerry or the Dingle Peninsula I would pick the Dingle Peninsula anyday. There is a lot more to see and do in West Kerry, a walk around Dingle, out to Slea Head for the view and Ballyferriter for the view of the Blaskets and the Blaskets musuem and the Conor Pass on your return journey plus you have fabulous pubs to stop in and gander at all the photos like Tom Crean's South Pole bar, Paidi O'Se's in Ventry and Fitzgeralds in Dingle. I really do not see the massive attraction in the Ring of Kerry by comparison.

Dowdie's isn't the Slieve Mish, that's further up the street. Dowdies used to be the Whitehouse bar.

glad to hear you had a good weekend! Next time you come down maybe try out the Carlton hotel, which is still near the town centre. I have heard the Brandon isn't quite what it used to be unfortunately. There are also plenty of lovely B&B's in the town which you could check out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Dowdie's isn't the Slieve Mish, that's further up the street. Dowdies used to be the Whitehouse bar.

Thanks for clarifying! Never heard of Dowdies, then again was never in the Whitehouse bar either. Sounds like a nice place to have a few pints by OP's recommendation - must check it out.

Great review by OP though!

I would say it's been a while since you were last in the museum kn, that train broke down years ago and was not fixed [quite like another nearby tourist attraction]
    :)

kingdumb wrote: »
    I would say it's been a while since you were last in the museum kn, that train broke down years ago and was not fixed [quite like another nearby tourist attraction]
    :)

Didn't know that!

Actually it's been a while since I have been down there too, so the may have fixed it, but I doubt it !
    Didn't know that!

Sorry, probably not very clear on that one - the pub a few doors up from the Blasket wasn't nearer Dowdie's, it was the other side - it was unnamed pub, then a few doors and The Blasket, then a few mins walk and it was Dowdie's.

If it's any use to you, Ongarboy, Himself drinks Guinness and is fairly particular about it. It's always better on the west coast, apparently, and Dowdie's had the best of all.

Thanks everyone - I will be sure to check it out again. I'll see if I can post up one of the photos I took later on, as a reminder :)

Advertisement