Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it illegal to have possesion of shotgun and rifle ammunition in your home??

• 28-09-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi i have about 20 shells just lying in my home that i found when i moved home and was wondering does anyone know if it is illegal is the gardai searched my home and found them, and if they did what would be the consequences??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should report this to the Gardai ASAP and hand over the lot.

It is a serious offense to have these, without the proper license.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ericd1

what sort of sentence would you be looking at??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2009/en.act.2009.0028.pdf

A fine of up to €5,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Shells are spent, I wouldn't particularly say it is a serious offence to have them.

A lot depends on what else you have, and your character.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If you're found with that ammunition without a licence you're in deep sh1t, even holding spent ammunition here is dodgy territory. I'd advise you to get on to the Gardai asap, they'll probably have you hand it in to a registered firearms dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I really fail to see how casings ( ie spent ammunition ) would be any sort of issue. That said , a licence is required to hold live rounds and these should be handed in ( or otherwise disposed of ).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Delancey wrote: »
    I really fail to see how casings ( ie spent ammunition ) would be any sort of issue.

You would be suprised.....

Criminal Justice Act 2006,
    specifically page 35, PART 5, Amendment of
    Firearms Acts, Section 26:

26.—Section 1 of the Principal Act is
    amended by the substitution
    of the following subsection for subsection
    (1):
    “(1) In this Act—
    “ammunition ” (except where used in
    relation to a prohibited
    weapon) means ammunition for a firearm
    and includes—
    any ingredient or component part of
    any such ammunition
    or missile ...

Even people with firearms licences have to be aware of how much brass they hold, for instance if your ammo limit is 1000 and you have 900 live and 200 spent rounds...you're breaching your licence. Ridiculous but that's the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Blay wrote: »
    You would be suprised.....

Criminal Justice Act 2006,
    specifically page 35, PART 5, Amendment of
    Firearms Acts, Section 26:

26.—Section 1 of the Principal Act is
    amended by the substitution
    of the following subsection for subsection
    (1):
    “(1) In this Act—
    “ammunition ” (except where used in
    relation to a prohibited
    weapon) means ammunition for a firearm
    and includes—
    any ingredient or component part of
    any such ammunition
    or missile ...

Even people with firearms licences have to be aware of how much brass they hold, for instance if your ammo limit is 1000 and you have 900 live and 200 spent rounds...you're breaching your licence. Ridiculous but that's the law.

Further proof ( if it were needed ) of what a pain in the ass Nanny State we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

ericd1 wrote: »
    Hi i have about 20 shells just lying in my home that i found when i moved home and was wondering does anyone know if it is illegal is the gardai searched my home and found them, and if they did what would be the consequences??

This post has been logged by Central Intelligence Eireann.

Expect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Further proof ( if it were needed ) of what a pain in the ass Nanny State we live in.
    Not really, given that criminals exploit the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

what sort of sentence would you be looking at??
    Hopefully one with some punctuation.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ericd1

I really fail to see how casings ( ie spent ammunition ) would be any sort of issue. That said , a licence is required to hold live rounds and these should be handed in ( or otherwise disposed of ).

Sorry i should have said the ammo is live. i thought live rounds were just called shells

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

get rid of them bring them into ur local station dump them on the counter say i found them. and they will do whatever with them. their out of ur hand's and not ur problem. it could actually be a big issue if ur found with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Spent brass casings + Powder + Bullets = Live ammo

If you did not make the elements illegal then it would be simple to transport and store legally till you had an illegal use.

But I would imagine a bit of common sense comes into play in the application of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Sorry i should have said the ammo is live. i thought live rounds were just called shells

Live ammo = rounds
    Spent ammo = shells.

Bring them into your local station, the member in charge of firearms if possible. And they will dispose of them for you. I take it you once had a licence and simply forgot about this ammo?

Advertisement