Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Here are some photos from sunny Listowel.
    I hope they will cheer Bob Dylan fan up a bit. Please note the banner in the backround.
    I think people come to this forum for entertainment, information and nostalgia. Maybe we should leave the politics for another day
    and another place. Just a thought!

Good to see that my brother Michael [ Sheehy] & nephew Patrick enjoyed The Races with Jim.

I hope to see Lovely Listowel myself beginning next Tuesday.

For two days ( Tuesday & Wednesday next) the four surviving Sheehy brothers--Marty, Michael, Patrick & Jerry--will be in Listowel at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

I have just returned from my (almost) annual visit to the Races. What a lovely occasion it was; beautiful weather, good atmosphere and pleasant company. As usual, when weather allows, I went for a walk through the graveyard, Gurtinard and along by the river. I was somewhat taken aback to find that the gate leading to the Spa through the Three Fields was locked and that the side gate was impassable. A sign on the gate indicated that the reason for locking it was to prevent vehicles using the road through the golf course.
    Am I correct in saying that there is still a right-of-way along the river to the Spa? If so, who has the right to block access to the right-of-way? Was there not controversy about this same right-of -way some years back? I hope its not a not-so-subtle attempt to extinguish people’s long-established right to enjoy that pleasant walk along by the riverbank. Perhaps some Listowel resident would keep us informed if the gate remains locked now that the Races are over?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

I'm glad you enjoyed The Races. Now, as to this right of way, in describing it you mention placenames with which I am not familiar. I know that up to very recently it was possible to walk along the riverbank behind Listowel golf course. I presume that the arrangement you mention was a temporary one. If it were not it would be serious indeed. I'll take a look when I get a chance for indeed it is a lovely spot to walk in.

Thanks for that, Cherry Tree. The Three Fields I referred to (maybe I shouldn’t have capitalised) were known to a previous generation as Foley’s Fields. These fields are now part of the golf course. Master Foley, as he was known, was a previous owner. He taught in one of the neighbouring schools – I’m guessing Clounmacon. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. He had a large orchard and many may still remember going to the house to buy apples. The Spa was once a very popular swimming spot in the days when fewer people had cars. The “Diving Board,” on the far bank before you come to the Spa, was also a swimming spot but, because it was deeper and didn’t get as much sun, wasn’t as popular, especially with those whose swimming prowess extended only to the ‘dog’s paddle’! You won’t find that stroke in the Olympics!
    Speaking of the right-of-way – I suppose it would help if the side access beside the gate was put in working order. I don’t know whose job that would be or if permission would be required. Any ideas anyone?

I thought this photo might be of interest to viewers of the Listowel thread. The year was 1953 but what was the occasion and where? How many can you recognise? To start you off - Junior Griffin is in the centre at the very back. Answers next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Bridewell Road

Dear John Granville,
    The 1953 photo was taken in the sportsfield,I'm not sure of the occasion,but I do recognise some in the picture.I'm working from memory now as I don't have the picture in front of me.From left you have the children of the O'Sullivan family of Charles St.,in there with them is Paddy Moloney of Charles St.(brother of Billy) ,the girls eating the icecream are the Scanlon girls Eileen and Noreen( Their father Barney was a Garda,in the days when we all knew the Gardai by name)Also in the front is Gene Moriarty (RIP).Maybe someone else can recognise others.Happy Days!!:pac:

Thank you, John Granville, for that great photo from bygone days. There is nothing like an old photo to get people contributing to the debate.
    Now I have a few photos which I took today of the gate leading to the walk at the back of the golf course. As you pointed out it is completely cut off. The only way it can now be accessed is by climbing the gate. The sign you mentioned has been removed and the padlock has been encased in metal so that it cannot be tampered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

While I understand the gate being locked to prevent cars from taking a shortcut up through the golf course ( which was happening the last time I visited 2 years ago)
    Who is responsible for the pedestrian gate. ?
    Nobody has the right to block access that has been a birthright to the people of the town.
    The river walk is a beautiful and peaceful pastime that should be preserved.
    Maybe Cherry Tree or some other concerned local can inquire from the Council and keep us informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

I always thought that there would eventually be a problem with people walking along the river once permission was given to build a golf course there. I wondered how long it would take to come to a head. After all, how can people safely walk through on-going golf games? It's no surprise that the owners of the golf course don't want anybody besides golfers there. It's a wonder that the Urban Council didn't think of that when they were considering the planning application, knowing that it has been a right of way for years. I think that the townspeople should definitely have the right to use that right of way to walk, fish, or even swim as they have done for generations. It is a lovely walk past the diving board,the "Long Rock" and the well beside it, through the woods to "the Falls" where we also swam when I was a young fella.
    Also thanks to John Granville for posting that old picture. Is that Babe Joe Wilmot at the right, middle of the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

As far as I can remember from my days playing golf in Ballybunnion it was a right of way along the cliffs on the golf course beside holes seven and eleven.:o

• Advertisement

Dear John Granville,
    You have started something re rights of way!!! In 1918 there was a High Court case between THE RIGHT HONOURABLE WILLIAM EARL OF LISTOWEL and some gutsy townspeople ,among them John Mc Kenna and Morgan Sheehy,as a result of this case a right of way was established for the people in the area which is now the town park or the cows lawn.Freedom of movement was always there up the river bank through the three fields to the Spa and the spring well,.Regarding the photo you posted ,no, our dear departed Babe Joe is not in the picture,but I bet she was in the sportsfield that day.On the stage near Junior Griffin is Kathleen O'Sullivan (the O'Sullivan family lived where the Gaelscoil is now).I can also see Tommy Dalton to Junior's right.UP THE BORO!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

what a wonderful time my son and myself had at listowel races.weather out of this world.Had the pleasure of meeting jim&mary cogan and what a lovely couple.where would we be without there pictures and church bulletins.did not see rain until i came home to ny.had wonderful time just sitting on the castle green and reading the paper with the sun beaming down.what a sight in beautiful weather.then to top it off to sit by my silver river feale and see the sun shine on the river and not worrying about the stock market up or down but enjoying that beautiful view that we enjoyed in our youth.in the space of a few minutes there my old neighbour monty galvin stopped for a chat next vincent carmody arrived on his bike and then my old classmate paddy keane with his dog and laying down on the grass with not a care in the world and chewing on some grass like when we were kids.what great memories of that wonderful town called Listowel.roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Hi all,

Got caught speeding in Listowel about a month ago:(

I think I have a case and want to challenge it:)

I need a Listowel based sollicitor. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Try Pierce and Fitzgibbon of Market St. or Maurice O'Sullivan of Colbert St.

Or you could try Louis McDonough of Ml. O'Connell,Solrs., The Square, Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Try Pierce and Fitzgibbon of Market St. or Maurice O'Sullivan of Colbert St.
    UpTheAshes wrote: »
    Or you could try Louis McDonough of Ml. O'Connell,Solrs., The Square, Listowel.

Maybe it is a sign of the times, that more people look at the pictures from the races and the Best Dressed Lady, than looked at the church newsletter.:)

It is good to see more people contributing to The Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and I am researching my family.
    My father was John Ferris his father Daniel. My grandmother was Catherine Enright. This was many years ago. My father was born in 1899 and last of 11 children. He came to America in 1920. I visited Listowel this past November 2007 and found the old house:). He lived down the road from Presentation School (I believe). The area back then was called Gortacrossane. The area is straight up the road from the Water Works and before the Derre West (?). The farm was sold in 1945 to the Hayes family. Mr. Hayes was kind to let me visit the old homestead :):)which now is used for farm equipment. My father never spoke of Ireland. I know it is a long time past and people are gone. I visited St. Mary's church and found out my father had many brothers and sisters:confused:. I knew of 3 and found out there were 11 in all. My grandfather died when my father was 11. My father never spoke of Ireland :(and I want to find out when my grandparents died from and what happened to the family. My father may have been raised after his father's death in one of those "industrial schools". Anybody have any idea how I could research this information? I have found in the Griffths list a Patrick Ferris in Gortacrossane in the 1845's or so. Don't know if he is great father or what. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks:confused::)

I am hearing from another source that there is also some concern about the right of way to the Spa from the Kenny’s Height direction. Apparently some people have already contacted the Council about the matter. I look forward to hearing more about the situation. There are lots of items on the Internet about rights of way but some you may be interested in this one from Wicklow which had a Listowel connection!
    http://www.augustuscullen.ie/pdfs/news_items/Right_Of_Way_Article.pdf

I have never actually walked the full way along the right of way so I do not know where the Kenny Heights access is. I walked up there with camera on Saturday and I could not locate it. Is it off Golf View?

• Advertisement

There was a track or path in the woods starting just around where the well is/was(close to the Long Rock) and heading on up through the woods to the old railway line.It might well be overgrown now from lack of use. A lot of people from the town and from Ballgologue used to walk along the track and then cut down through the woods. I used to cross fields belong to the Kenny-Tobin family to the path to come from Cahirdown to the river. I passed that way a thousand times or more to fish; first with a hook and worm, and later with a split cane fly rod.

I have never actually walked the full way along the right of way so I do not know where the Kenny Heights access is. I walked up there with camera on Saturday and I could not locate it. Is it off Golf View?

I haven't walked that way for many years so I can't advise about the current access(if any). Perhaps one of the locals will tell you? Liam Grimes, Raymond Barrett, Pierce Walsh?

The Enright family is mentioned in the 1901 census,try 1901 census Iraghticonner Barony,then go to Listowel civil parish. You could also email the National Archives -:mail@nationalarchives.ie or write to them National Archives ,Bishop St.,Dublin 8 ,Tel:+353 1 4072300.
    Good Luck.;)

The occasion of the photo was the North Kerry Show – the then annual agricultural show held each year at the end of June in the Sportsfield. Correctly identified were:- Tommy Dalton, Noreen & Eileen Scanlon, Paddy Moloney, Gene Moriarty and the Sullivans of Charles St. I’m not sure about Kathleen Sullivan. I cannot recall her. Babe Joe Wilmot is not in the photo, nor is “The Mike”.
    I'll try to identify as many as I can within the next few days and post on the thread. In the meantime, can you spot a very young Joe Guerin? He's towards the left of the back row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Emmets4Life

elmolesto wrote: »
    Hi all,

Got caught speeding in Listowel about a month ago:(

I think I have a case and want to challenge it:)

I need a Listowel based solicitor. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Try Owen McMahon of McMahon Solicitors....http://www.pgmcmahon.com/index.html They are based in Newcastlewest Co. Limerick but Owen also opens an office in Listowel one day a week. Excellent solicitor along with his deceased brother Garry are/were two born and bred Listowel men from the famous McMahon Literary family...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

Sorry, what is the website for the 1901 census with the Enright family in it?

Sorry, what is the website for the 1901 census with the Enright family in it?

I did not look through all of it but you may be able to find it on this link.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/cenlist.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 XsarahraffertyX

wooo!
    anyone know dean foran from listowel?
    he's such a nice bloke aint he.?? :rolleyes:
    x
    x
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

that is Maurice Cahill(small sq.) in front of junior griffin and maybe eugene mcguinness next to maurice.A lot of out of towners in the picture.what a great day it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Heard rumor thar the Lartigue players are coming to NY to perform Sive.
    Can anyone confirm and provide details, dates, where playing ,etc

Thanks

Advertisement