Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm all for gay marriage but the adoption issue is something I might have to just warm to. I feel the children shouldn't be involved as the consequences are not worth it such as potential bullying, if kids in the classroom find out that a child has parents of the same sex. This would happen in the minority of catholic schools and I went to one as a kid, not an enjoyable experience.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My dad's voting no because, in his words, Marriage is a Catholic tradition...he says to his Methodist, bisexual daughter. Oh Dad. My nana's voting yes because she doesn't think there's a difference between gay people and straight people. Go my nana.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's a pity I have to say this but not everyone in the 18-34 age group is going to vote yes. Not everyone has entered the 21st century.

And as usual, there will probably be a poor turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's a pity I have to say this but not everyone in the 18-34 age group is going to vote yes. Not everyone has entered the 21st century.

And as usual, there will probably be a poor turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    . I feel the children shouldn't be involved as the consequences are not worth it such as potential bullying, if kids in the classroom find out that a child has parents of the same sex. .

Children are cruel but they'll still be cruel if gay people can't adopt. They'll just pick a different aspect of a child's home life to pick on. If a father or mother abandons they're partner and kids Other kids will go "ha ha your dad/mam left you" if a kid has a parent who dies it'll be "ha ha your dad/mam is dead" that's one I saw in school. If a kid has a special needs sibling it'll be "ha ha your bro/sis is a spastic/regard " which is something that one if my best friends had to put up with. Same goes if a kid is fat, of a different race or religion. kids are ****s, they push boundaries cause that's what kids do. The solution isn't to say a gay couple who would do just a good a job as a straight couple can't adopt. The solution is for parents to do their bloody job and raise level headed well adjusted fuppin adults. The same way it's the solution to most of the isms and schisms in society.

those who use the "won't somebody think of the children" rhetoric obviously don't have any interest in being people who actually are willing to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

When is the vote again lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

deise_girl wrote: »
    When is the vote again lads?

May sometime

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

TBH, I think you guys are underestimating children's ability to adapt. Saying "They'd be bullied, so let's never allow gays adopt." is counter-productive, as it continues the cycle of portraying a family unit of two same sex partners as parents as unnatural. I think ye're underestimating how quickly children would adapt if same sex couples with kids became a more common thing. In 10-15 years any potential bullying would practically be eradicated because all the kids would have grown up in a society that didn't consider this to be such a huge thing.

Also, it's a non-argument because gay couples can still raise a child together, except only one of them can be classed as a parent, which can cause huge issues in terms of guardianship. So basically, if you're against gay adoption because "the kids need both parents", then you must surely be in favour of taking children away from these families, throwing them into foster care and then letting them be adopted by a "normal" family, because then they'd have both parents and would have a perfectly normal life... (deliberately extreme example).

And on the Bible thing, in the immortal words of one Reverend Lovejoy: "Marge, have you ever sat down and actually read this thing? Technically we're not even allowed use the bathroom."

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

If anyone needs any further knowledge on it, read the current Boards AMA, it's ridiculously interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I'm all for gay marriage but the adoption issue is something I might have to just warm to. I feel the children shouldn't be involved as the consequences are not worth it such as potential bullying, if kids in the classroom find out that a child has parents of the same sex. This would happen in the minority of catholic schools and I went to one as a kid, not an enjoyable experience.

EDIT - Just spotted CTYI's post, still here's the link all the same.

I reckon a lot of people have that view, I'd have a look at this recent AMA done on Boards.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057365334

I think in today's day and age that opinion has less and less validity. Not attacking you or anything! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm not even sure if my parents will vote yes. :( I'm voting Yes of course and I, in that bracket of young people not bothered to vote, specially registered just for this election! At least I think I registered, I filled out that form and they gave me a form to fill out a few weeks ago with all of my family's voting details and that form is...yeah, who knows. Must look into that, I feel the deadline for returning it was soon. ANYWAY. I really hope Yes wins. Also gay couples should be allowed to adopt tbh (in my opinion), hate that argument about the kids being bullied, in such a situation it's the bully that has the problem and the bad parenting, not the victim. Ugh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Wasn't the deadline in like November to be on register for 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I did all that in time, they sent me a form there in early January then asking to confirm the names/dates of births of everyone living at my address to 'ensure' I was on the register. I have far too short an attention span for post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Nah not really. You have to register 15 days before a vote to be included in the Supplement Register of Electors. What the difference is I don't know.

Full marriage, family and adoption legislation has been here in the Netherlands for years and the Almighty hasn't sent the country under water yet. Which my gf is delighted and proud of, as her sister is gay. She can marry and have a child here and hardly anybody would bat an eye at the idea.

My parents have been wearing Yes to Equality badges for a few weeks now, so that answers that one.

I told dad that Nana (My mam's mam, for reference) was voting yes, and his face was kinda comical. I've been bringing it up with all my family lately. If I end up with a woman, I want to know that I'll be allowed to marry her. It's not like people are going to be forced into marrying someone they don't want to (and if they are, we all know that it's wrong). I just don't understand it.

For the record, if there's anyone who reads the forum who doesn't agree with it, can you explain why? I'm not going to jump down your throat, I honestly want to know people's reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I told dad that Nana (My mam's mam, for reference) was voting yes, and his face was kinda comical. I've been bringing it up with all my family lately. If I end up with a woman, I want to know that I'll be allowed to marry her. It's not like people are going to be forced into marrying someone they don't want to (and if they are, we all know that it's wrong). I just don't understand it.

For the record, if there's anyone who reads the forum who doesn't agree with it, can you explain why? I'm not going to jump down your throat, I honestly want to know people's reasons why.

It's nice to actually see another openly bi sexual. They are very well hidden from whom I've met on nights out With friends. It's one of the things that annoys me about gay people is they all say bi today gay tomorrow Which is unfair for those who are actually interested in both sexes

I spent my afternoon with hugsie and it was very fun.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I can confirm that CTYI and iamanengine are MOST DEFINITELY not a couple :cool::pac:

What did I miss? I didn't know that was still up for debate :P

What did I miss? I didn't know that was still up for debate :P

Apparently we should just get together (according to Hugsie)

Sometimes i feel like the only lad who reads manuals. Since updating to Windows 10 Tech preview. i lost a lot of functions that came with my windows 7 version. But finally after 2 months i finally went on the hunt to get my drivers working reading installing uninstalling booting logging in logging out. everyone saying Your module is not supported in windows 8 (dated 2012) jump forward to 2015 windows 10 is really a shell over 8.1(or 8.2) which is a shell over windows 7 and all drives for windows 7 seem to have been built on windows xp service pack 3. But ya a couple of pages into reading articles finally one brainy person from dell finally told people to run it in compatibility mode and walla it worked.

TL;DR. Reading pays off. I feel like a King for fixing my laptop. Why am i not getting paid for this. Why is this not part of my career.

• Advertisement

Apparently we should just get together (according to Hugsie)

Lol I've just now seen this :pac:

I'm sitting in the library and I feel like I've done loads today when in fact I haven't but I'm accepting my fate as a BAMF.

Im a monster. i couldnt help notice while eating. most people dont like fish, some only like just cod. i like cod and sardines. and while eating them couldnt help feel there was great satisfaction of eating these tiny little animals that taste soo good. I still maintain that fish are(is?)meat. except on good Friday when i need to eat some form of meat and fish is... well not meat .

I never understood the fish =/= meat thing.

Will i be too harsh to tell my best friend not to date an american lad again. because they are still living in the 20th century and not one of his friends corrected him.

[20th century is reference to a fb post they made in april 2014]

Depends on how good a friend this is. And whether or not you've more to go on that just a Facebook post (seriously people, Facebook =/= real life). And whether or not this friend can make a legitimate argument that you're just jealous.

I'm back in the library. SOMEONE RESCUE ME FROM THIS HELL

My best friend for last 9 years. They dated. she knows what he's like. So she wouldn't think I'm jealous

• Advertisement

That thing serves to prove how much time I spent posting in the Psychic Readings Live thread back in 2012. My highest matches are STILL the regulars from there. :o

Advertisement