Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

brianodub wrote: »
    Such a pain in the hole. Makes me want to move

Move where though? From what I've heard it's the same all over Dublin & Cork so probably the same in other Irish cities as well. Very disheartening but we cant let these low-lifes win.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

brianodub wrote: »
    I live in Hazelbury and my wifes car was ransacked last night too. Nothing valuable in it. She's also pretty sure she forgot to lock it.
    I'm sure they got into the back garden too.

2 weeks ago i had a bike stolen from the back garden.

Such a pain in the hole. Makes me want to move

No Need to move buddy. First of all how did they enter the back garden on these 2 occasions do you think? Fence hop? or was it open?. If its the old wooden style fence (one kick and its open) replace it with a good quality steel One with decorative spikes on top (Nice and High) Have the catch piece if possible anchored into your Wall pillar between the houses so its impossible to force.. Next padlock her up (good strong no holes barred padlock invest in a decent one) . Step up that security mate and make it as bloody awkward as possible for those animals to get in. You should not be forced to move from your residence for a bunch of toe-rags. There is another chap on here that stuck up a decent CCTV camera. The more akward and imposing your security set up looks the scoobies will walk by in most cases. They are really looking for easy targets. OPPURTUNISTS.

"The gardai tell us that many break-ins are opportunistic and that a large percentage don't even need a forced entry - the burglar goes through an open window or uses the keys that are left under the door mat"

Have a look at this article people for tips and put them louts out of business :D
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Best-Security-For-Your-Home---Top-10-Tips&id=6818092

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6818092

is that the house with a massive forensics tent on the driveway you can see from the N3? Been there weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foots

did wonder what that was about alright, i think its nearer littlepace road but you could be right.

hard not to feel like moving but i am originally from Templeogue, and when moving from hunters run to littlepace toyed with the idea of moving back, houses are lot more expensive so we opted to go bigger in Clonee as we do like the area. My mother has had one burglery in August, lots of gold taken (cash for gold) and 2 attempted in the last two weeks, so rest assured it is the same everywhere, myself and your wife will just have to be more security aware (hubbies will have to double check locks at night) :D A detective friend tells me it because of recession, crime on the rise???
    I wouldnt mind when we had forensics out this summer after some attempted break in they gave us tips to keep them away, we are a corner house so all walls are covered in industrial grease, said at least if they are caught snooping they are covered in grease, hands and clothing, so bit of proof, always put down all your blinds, keys away from reach, and we installed sensor lights. (just need to lock the car now) but will look into that camera. i will not be driven from my home either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

is that the house with a massive forensics tent on the driveway you can see from the N3? Been there weeks now
    I was wondering about that alright....not just somebody a bit OCD about keeping their car clean maybe?

fletch wrote: »
    I was wondering about that alright....not just somebody a bit OCD about keeping their car clean maybe?

Looks awful . I assumed a crime had been committed and it was being kept sterile for a forensics team:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I am also toying with the idea of anti-climb paint/greese two questions

1) if you put it on walls do you legally have to put up a sign saying that its there

2) where would you get this stuff...is it expensive

we got ours off a farmer we know! but you would get it in any agricultural suppliers, anywhere that supplies fertilizer etc, we did 3 walls for about 60€, i bet kellys in dunboyne could advise you where to get if he does not do it! I did say to the forensic guy what happens if a teenager jumps over to get a ball etc and ruins his clothes, his answer was well he wont jump your wall again! they should have manners and knock in!! no mention of needing a sign. but i am no law expert!

Was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Rushenny things got so bad in there that they had a public meeting gaurds told them not to ignore an alarm going off also they copied what Alandale did and put up 2 signs into the estate telling vans that no charity bags/stickers where to be delivered into estate.
    Also talking to a friend of mine who lives in littlepace break-in two weeks ago, have no other details I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

so suspect that those stickers for the bags are delivered betweek 4 30 and 6am, what is that about, and if it is genuine and not linked to crime they are doing themselves no favours with the rumours that they collect info about houses security, new born in my house so i am keeping an eye at times etc. i will notify guards if i see a pattern of crime on same night as stickers I am on a mission at the momment :mad: i must suggest that sign like allendale.

Rang the gaurds just to see about signage for grease on walls reply was "no dont bother .......tough sh** this is my property...........etc...."

Sorry meant to add that if a sticker or bag came in the door after signage went up they rang the number on the sticker or bag to complain they have noticed a distinct drop off of stickers/bags..............its better to be pro-active than reactive!!!!!!!

foots said............ "so suspect that those stickers for the bags are delivered betweek 4 30 and 6am",

Yes I get those stickers at that time also.......yet I have a NO JUNK MAIL sticker on my door................??????????????

So yes signage into the estates is the way to go!

thats great about grease you should definitley go ahead with it. I feel a bit more protected since we put it up, if nothing else at least i have destroyed their clothes! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

saw a purple 99d617xx fiesta in our cul de sac yesteday. Stocky guy got out and went to the neighbour accross the road (no car in drive) and knocked on the door. No reply
    He then went next door and did the same, (no car in drive) no answer.
    The driver of the fiesta kept the engine running and the door knocker went back and got into the car and they drove off.

I went to both neighbours last night and told them and neither had any business with the person that was knocking. I also rang the guards and gave them the reg, they took note, said will keep an eye out and if i see them again let them know straight away and they will spin up and question them.

If anyone else sees it can you ring blanch guards maybe?

Cheers

brightkane wrote: »
    saw a purple 99d617xx fiesta in our cul de sac yesteday. Stocky guy got out and went to the neighbour accross the road (no car in drive) and knocked on the door. No reply
    He then went next door and did the same, (no car in drive) no answer.
    The driver of the fiesta kept the engine running and the door knocker went back and got into the car and they drove off.

I went to both neighbours last night and told them and neither had any business with the person that was knocking. I also rang the guards and gave them the reg, they took note, said will keep an eye out and if i see them again let them know straight away and they will spin up and question them.

If anyone else sees it can you ring blanch guards maybe?

Cheers
    Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye out....put up cctv cameras today...fitted a tracker to my car a couple of months ago and have house alarm interior sensors turned on every night going to bed...taking no chances!

Will keep eyes peeled for that car in littlepace, the o ly way to stop this is to all watch out for each others houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Slightly OT I think Lidl was done again last night. Guards in there and the gates were closed.

brightkane wrote: »
    Slightly OT I think Lidl was done again last night. Guards in there and the gates were closed.
    clonee or whitestown?

• Advertisement

Beware, think a few of us in Littlepace have just been had. A traveller just pretended to live around the block and would I sponser her, got suspicious when she stood in, turns out she then told my neighbours I sent her and continued down the road telling each next door sent her, fool proof!! Only one went with her gut and said no, Yet we all thought she was a traveller, guards seemed aware of scam and said patrol car on route. You have to laugh at the nerve!! None of us checked her card etc and so far I know of 50€ she got for 10 mins work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

I know im not in dublin 15 but just to say neigbours house was done last week.
    They went in the front door took cash and gold only.This happen about 7.30pm.So people keep an eye out and never put your guard down.

I don't have any cash or gold in my house...what do the burgulars do in this instance? Just turn the place upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

fletch wrote: »
    I don't have any cash or gold in my house...what do the burgulars do in this instance? Just turn the place upside down?
    I think the thought of them been even in your house. Also if you disturb them might not be nice outcome for either party.

Yeh I have actually considered buyin a load of fake gold jewellery to hand over to them as I don't know if they will believe that we've no gold in the house. Then they mightn't take kindly to that either and come back for revenge....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

foots wrote: »
    Beware, think a few of us in Littlepace have just been had. A traveller just pretended to live around the block and would I sponser her, got suspicious when she stood in, turns out she then told my neighbours I sent her and continued down the road telling each next door sent her, fool proof!! Only one went with her gut and said no, Yet we all thought she was a traveller, guards seemed aware of scam and said patrol car on route. You have to laugh at the nerve!! None of us checked her card etc and so far I know of 50€ she got for 10 mins work!!

Just had the same scammer at my door tonight. Said she was doing a Barnardo's charity run and asked for sponsorship. I stupidally fell for it. As I went inside to get money she stepped into the hall. I new then that this was a scam and told her to leave. She is unbelievably convincing. I feel like a total twat for allowing myself to be suked in. Just be aware of the scam and the fact that she will have the name of your neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you don't know them, don't open the door.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Agreed. I cant understand why people open their doors and give money to strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

That is a good idea for an estate to come together and not tolerate / challenge those bloody bag-collectors.
    I have a no-junk-mail sticker on my door, yet get this crap every 2nd day approx.
    I never give money out at the door, sponsorships, ppl selling stuff... last week a bloke came round selling soft drinks in glass bottles (weekly deliveries) , and he was 'real' (had a van full of his own branded minerals, flyers etc) but i wouldn't do business with doorstep callers , even if i wanted the product.
    Must make a "No cold callers' type sticker to go with me 'no junk mail' one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

just reading all these posts and more I read more worried I get..
    I always lock my car, door, side gate, spent some cash on replacing kitchen sliding door for more secure, built higher wall in back garden, etc, but still if somebody wants they can break in.
    Can somebody smart tell me how difficult and expensive would be to put a cctv at the entrance to the cul de sac, or few cameras in the estate? I guess that once there is a camera pointing at the only entrance to the estate and large sign pointing cctv system, some scumbags will think twice before driving in...

if cost is splitted between 10 or 20 houses it can,t be very expensive....

camera could be powered from street light and signal sent to the trusted neighbour who lives near...

what you think?

Advertisement