Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginner

• 27-03-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi i have been a cricket fan for about 6 or 7 years. have never played but would like to. im in my mid 30s. could anyone reccomend a club or something similar that caters for beginners
    any advice on getting started would be most helpful

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

rocco88 wrote: »
    hi i have been a cricket fan for about 6 or 7 years. have never played but would like to. im in my mid 30s. could anyone reccomend a club or something similar that caters for beginners

Where are you? Proximity to a club is probably the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rocco88

city centre
    i have looked at a few websites.doesnt seem to be anything for beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Living in the city centre you're spoiled for choice. Old Belvedere are out in Cabra, they've a 3rd XI who are always looking for players. Clontarf are running a 7ths this year I believe, they're near aswell. Railway and Merrion especially have teams in the lower leagues that would be suitable for a beginner. Pre-season will be under way at the moment so you should get on to someone from the clubs. There should be details on their club websites about who to contact about joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rocco88

cheersthanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

TrueDub wrote: »
    Where are you? Proximity to a club is probably the most important thing.

sorry to jump in on the OP's thread but I felt that it was a description of myself:)............I live in Drogheda and would be a complete beginner. Am wondering about where's the nearest club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

sorry to jump in on the OP's thread but I felt that it was a description of myself:)............I live in Drogheda and would be a complete beginner. Am wondering about where's the nearest club?

Dundalk - http://www.dundalkcricketclub.com/index.html

Balbriggan - North County Cricket Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Phoenix1830

rocco88 wrote: »

Phoenix Cricket Club is situated in the park just a couple of hundred yards up the road from the zoo. We cater for all levels and ages.

If you're interested in coming along and giving it a go just send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

actually I think your best bet might be knockharley out near slane, they have 3 teams including a side in Division 13. Ring Commons are a newly re-established club in the same division based just outside Balrothery. Balbriggan have pulled their 3rd team from the league and their seconds play Division 8 and it might be difficult to learn the game in higher divisions. North County are based in Balrothery and have lost players from their lower divisions to the new club in the area Ring Commons. There are also The Hills just outside Skerries and Rush Depending on how much of a Drog you are there's also a club in Dundalk that might suit, they've just set up a 2nd team and only played in the league for the first time last year.
    www.balbriggancc.com/
    http://www.knockharleycc.com/index.php
    Ring Commons have a facebook page
    www.northcountycricketclub.net/
    www.thehillscricketclub.com/
    for Rush information just pm me website is out of date and being worked on

For the OP Civil Service is another option, I know they've had a lot of beginners start at the club over the last few years. But I know that afew of them have moved to Phoenix
    http://www.civilservicecc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ShikkiShamone

The nearest club to Drogheda is KnockharleyCC. It's just outside Kentstown and I live in Slane and its 10 minutes away. We have a team in the lower leagues so being a beginner would be no problem.
    Check out these for further details.
    http://knockharleycc.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Knockharley-Cricket-Club/111028842249757

• Registered Users Posts: 47 JudgeRoyBean

I play at Knockharley so apologies for the slightly biased reply but having not long joined I know very little about the other clubs in the area. TheDrog seems to know a lot about it!
    We have a number of players from the Drogheda area and have teams in divisions 7, 11 and 13 so will suit all levels.
    Senior training is on a Thursday night from 7-9 and is run by an ex-Kiwi first class cricketer.
    All welcome.
    Good luck whatever you decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 rob86

any clubs in kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

rob86 wrote: »
    any clubs in kildare?

North Kildare are in Kilcock and Halverstown are based a few miles outside Naas in Brannockstown. Where abouts are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 JudgeRoyBean

rob86 wrote: »
    any clubs in kildare?
    Djimi has summed up it for you there.
    Check out http://www.cricketleinster.ie/clubs for all club listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rob86

Fair play lads , been meaning to get involved, great sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The season is almost over now at this stage, but if youre around the Kilcock/Maynooth area of the county then North Kildare have training on a Thursday evening from about 6.30 if you want to pop down and have a look and get stuck in!

Advertisement