Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Couple of Questions

• 11-11-2011 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey there, just wondering if it's ok to ask a few questions. If not close this thread:)

Anyway I'm not sure what I want to do when I leave school and being a Garda is something I've looked into and I'd like to find out more.

1) I don't know how to swim but I'll learn. How good a swimmer do you have to be in order to a Garda?

2) I'm really lacking in muscle. I know during the medical/fitness test that this comes along somwhere. Just wondering what level of strength they expect from you

3) I've been on the CAO, Qualifax and Garda College website but haven't gotten any info as to where I go after the Leaving Cert. Any help?

4) And finally, anywhere I can get any info on Open Days?

Thanks for anyone that helps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

CFC4lyfe wrote: »
    Hey there, just wondering if it's ok to ask a few questions. If not close this thread:)

Anyway I'm not sure what I want to do when I leave school and being a Garda is something I've looked into and I'd like to find out more.

1) I don't know how to swim but I'll learn. How good a swimmer do you have to be in order to a Garda?

2) I'm really lacking in muscle. I know during the medical/fitness test that this comes along somwhere. Just wondering what level of strength they expect from you

3) I've been on the CAO, Qualifax and Garda College website but haven't gotten any info as to where I go after the Leaving Cert. Any help?

Have a read through the threads here and everything is answered. If you were on the Garda website you would have seen there are no open days as there is no recruitment. If its what you want to do I suggest You put in the time and research everything rather than getting others to do it. Talk to gardai and study the website it has everything you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

itsallgood wrote: »
    Have a read through the threads here and everything is answered. If you were on the Garda website you would have seen there are no open days as there is no recruitment. If its what you want to do I suggest You put in the time and research everything rather than getting others to do it. Talk to gardai and study the website it has everything you need to know.

I wasn't aware there were no recruitments and I assumed there because IIRC they were at a huge Open Day event a few weeks back. (The Gardaí that is)

I only asked the questions because I thought someone could help me out as I'm trying to gather more info. I don't see how that's getting others to do things for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

I have to agree with itsallgood. Time after time people come on here and say things like 'Ive always wanted to be a guard but how do I put it on my cao or Is there only the one garda college in the country and where is it?'

I knew the application process and everything else about the job when I first started secondary school because I looked into it. I was preparing myself far in advance.

Anyway like itsallgood said if you go on to the relevant websites such as publicjobs.ie, garda.ie or even this website you will find all the information you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HighTower88

CFC4lyfe wrote: »

Here's the answers you were looking for..

1) It's now an requirement that all new recruits are able to swim. As well as having a full driving licence and a first aid course.

2) Being fit and having a BMI lower than 30 would be more important than being muscular.

3) It will be probably be at least 18 months - two years before any recruitment takes place. When it does happen it be advertised on publicjobs.ie. There's five phases to pass in order to be accepted into Templemore. they include an aptitude test, Interview and report writing, A meeting with your local superintendent, a medical examination and a physical examination.

My advice to you is pass your leaving cert and then gain some life experience by either going to college, working or travelling. It be tough passing an interview if you're just fresh out of school. Once you turn 18 you'll be eligible to apply for the Garda Reserve provided that there still recruiting. This is invaluable experience for anyone who has any ambition in becoming a Garda. In this role you're attached to a Garda Unit and you assist them in there regular duty. You also have limited powers of arrest under the criminal law act and the traffic act.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

gardapa wrote: »
    I have to agree with itsallgood. Time after time people come on here and say things like 'Ive always wanted to be a guard but how do I put it on my cao or Is there only the one garda college in the country and where is it?'

I knew the application process and everything else about the job when I first started secondary school because I looked into it. I was preparing myself far in advance.

Anyway like itsallgood said if you go on to the relevant websites such as publicjobs.ie, garda.ie or even this website you will find all the information you need to know.

So you went onto the internet to find out about a career in the Gardaí? Not too much different to what the OP is doing here...albeit from a different website. We have the info, why not help an interested party out?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Thanks alot for the help. Much appreciated :)

The way I look at it is if someone cant find this information out for themselves without asking on a public forum then they really arent that interested in the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The way I look at it is if someone cant find this information out for themselves without asking on a public forum then they really arent that interested in the job!

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Well thats your opinion and I respect that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Id say the opposite! Registering an account and typing up some questions shows his interest in the job. Personally Id prefere to get opinions/advice from real people when inquiring about a job, especially if those people are in that job!

But I respect your opinion also my friend! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

High tower, is it not a recommendation that all future garda applicatants should be able to swim? as opposed to a requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

I think what gardapa is saying is that the majority of the OPs questions are answered in one or other of the other threads on here and there's no need for everyone who wants info just to start a new thread. Just read/ask in the relevant thread.

As for the most asked question, i.e. when is recruitment likely etc., no one can answer that for you, beyond guessing that is.

To the OP, this forum is by far the best source of information on the process that you'll find online. Personally, I got a lot of information about the process from a member who had been through it, but if you read through the threads, you'll find as much info as you need. As far as the new recommendations go, I don't think it would hurt to become a better swimmer (as that is part of the old course anyway), and things like first aid etc, are always going to stand to you anyway, especially if they do bring them in as requirements for future campaigns.

Best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

1) It's now an requirement that all new recruits are able to swim. As well as having a full driving licence and a first aid course.

2) Being fit and having a BMI lower than 30 would be more important than being muscular.

3) It will be probably be at least 18 months - two years before any recruitment takes place. When it does happen it be advertised on publicjobs.ie. There's five phases to pass in order to be accepted into Templemore. they include an aptitude test, Interview and report writing, A meeting with your local superintendent, a medical examination and a physical examination.

My advice to you is pass your leaving cert and then gain some life experience by either going to college, working or travelling. It be tough passing an interview if you're just fresh out of school. Once you turn 18 you'll be eligible to apply for the Garda Reserve provided that there still recruiting. This is invaluable experience for anyone who has any ambition in becoming a Garda. In this role you're attached to a Garda Unit and you assist them in there regular duty. You also have limited powers of arrest under the criminal law act and the traffic act.

Best of luck!

spot on with that post.

I am a reserve member since 2008. I took a sabatical and spent the last 9 and half months in new zealand. Going back to the station this week to pick off where i left off.

can't believe its at least another year before recruitment again though, nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

OP This thread may answer other questions you may have also, so if you havent already had a good read through it, it might be no harm.
    Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

ghost86 wrote: »
    High tower, is it not a recommendation that all future garda applicatants should be able to swim? as opposed to a requirement?

isnt the old fire brigade saying ´if you hear splashing in the water, the gardai have arrived?!´

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hightower,

these are not confirmed yet and are only recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Would you need some sort of certificate to prove you can swim from a local instructor (if this even exists) I wonder?

Also with regards the first aid course; I was under the illusion that a course was facilitated for recruits once they entered the college?

But I suppose with the level of competition that will be present when recruitment does finally come around all these courses and qualifications wont go to waste as every Tom, Dick and Harry with a law degree will be applying!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

collig2 wrote: »
    Would you need some sort of certificate to prove you can swim from a local instructor (if this even exists) I wonder?

Also with regards the first aid course; I was under the illusion that a course was facilitated for recruits once they entered the college?

But I suppose with the level of competition that will be present when recruitment does finally come around all these courses and qualifications wont go to waste as every Tom, Dick and Harry with a law degree will be applying!:rolleyes:

You will do a first aid course when you start in Templemore. To the best of my knowledge it's a FETAC level 5 occupational first aid course. I've no idea if doing one beforehand will confer an advantage onto you when applying, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

collig2 wrote: »

i wonder if a PADI open water cert woud suffice?

surely................

Advertisement