Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

• 10-12-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mod Warning - Feb 29th: I've been informed that the ending to this game has been leaked online. If it's posted here before midnight on Friday 9th (in any form - vague hints or spoiler tags), then that user will get a 3 month ban from this forum for being a tool.

From Saturday 10th onwards, please please please use spoiler tags. Unspoilered posts about the ending (even *nudge*nudge*wink*wink* hints) will still carry consequences.

me3eastore530.jpg

Someone on the EA store is gonna get fired, expect an announcement at the VGA awards tomorrow night.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/10/mass-effect-3-outed-on-ea-store/

"Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Really looking forward to it (even though I'm only getting ME2 this Christmas, I loved ME1 to bits), although the pricing they had listed in that screen is a bit nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

$60 is standard for US games I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

$60 is standard for US games I think.

I paid €3 for Mass Effect 1 (Gotta love Steam Sales) and I am getting Mass Effect 2 for €20 or so, no way would I pay that much, even if it is a Bioware game.

I think it's ridiculous that PC game prices have almost risen to console prices, when traditionally PC games have always been cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I paid €3 for Mass Effect 1 (Gotta love Steam Sales) and I am getting Mass Effect 2 for €20 or so, no way would I pay that much, even if it is a Bioware game.

I think it's ridiculous that PC game prices have almost risen to console prices, when traditionally PC games have always been cheaper.

I never pay full whack and usually just wait a few months for the price to drop and the hype to subside to see wheter or not a game is actually worth buying. This however is a different story, Bioware games are a very rare example of games that actually justify the high price, it will be a release day purchase for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm dissapointed that its going to earth for the end of the Trilogy it should be saved for another game further in the series & the very military looking 1st screenshot was a bad sign.On hindsight the 2nd game was too much 3rd Person cover shooter & not enough RPG.I'm sure i'll enjoy ME3 but I hope they aren't trying to aim it at the wrong audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

I hope these rumors of.... shudder.... multiplayer... were misinterpreted or just complete lies.

If it isnt broke do no fix it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

jamezy wrote: »

So, "never innovate"?

/troll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

GTR63 wrote: »
    I'm dissapointed that its going to earth for the end of the Trilogy it should be saved for another game further in the series & the very military looking 1st screenshot was a bad sign.On hindsight the 2nd game was too much 3rd Person cover shooter & not enough RPG.I'm sure i'll enjoy ME3 but I hope they aren't trying to aim it at the wrong audience.

There's a massive demand for earth to be in the game from the ME community so I guess thats part of the reason. What screen shot are you talking about though?

jamezy wrote: »
    I hope these rumors of.... shudder.... multiplayer... were misinterpreted or just complete lies.

Oh your one of those people.

Was really hoping for some kinda of multiplayer DLC for ME2 , some game play modes involving the 3 merc groups and different classes might have been interesting but any talk of this on the Bioware forums gets drowned out by cries of "NOOOOOOOOOOOO MUTLIPLAYER NOOOOOOOO". Annoyingly.

• I think people's main fear with regards to multiplayer is that the singleplayer will not receive as much attention, especially with regards to storyline. That has always been the strength of Mass Effect, the story was just superb.

Part of me can also understand the fact they want replayability for the games too. Yet therein lies the beauty of ME, how many times have replayed the game, yet doing things different in certain parts to see how the story/characters progress?

So, have multiplayer but only if the singleplayer is as good as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

there is no need for mp in mass effect, bioware is first and foremost a sp developer and i for one hope it stays that way as every bloody developer in the world is just putting mp in so they can go oh look at us we has the multiplayer :rolleyes: honestly though putting mp into the game will detract from the time and resources bioware put into the sp game which is a big no no seeing as this is the finale of the series.

• Advertisement

I think people's main fear with regards to multiplayer is that the singleplayer will not receive as much attention, especially with regards to storyline. That has always been the strength of Mass Effect, the story was just superb.

Part of me can also understand the fact they want replayability for the games too. Yet therein lies the beauty of ME, how many times have replayed the game, yet doing things different in certain parts to see how the story/characters progress?

So, have multiplayer put only if the singleplayer is as good as before.

Yeah but its ridiculous to think bioware would let some basic MP DLC ruin the whole story.

It would have been nice to see some modding even (I play on the pc) playing half life 2 coop atm and its brilliant.
    there is no need for mp in mass effect, bioware is first and foremost a sp developer and i for one hope it stays that way as every bloody developer in the world is just putting mp in so they can go oh look at us we has the multiplayer rolleyes.gif honestly though putting mp into the game will detract from the time and resources bioware put into the sp game which is a big no no seeing as this is the finale of the series.

No it wouldn't. If they were to but a multiplayer mode in there they'd use a dedicated mutliplayer team for it, not take people off the sp part of the game to work on it.

Sick of people who hate multiplayer demanding it never be there. If you don't like it your not being forced to play it. This isnt COD there's no way in hell it'd effect the single player part of the game. It'd be a nice bonus for those of us who do wanna experience the ME universe and combat with their friends.

Sisko wrote: »
    Yeah but its ridiculous to think bioware would let some basic MP DLC ruin the whole story.

It would have been nice to see some modding even (I play on the pc) playing half life 2 coop atm and its brilliant.

No it wouldn't. If they were to but a multiplayer mode in there they'd use a dedicated mutliplayer team for it, not take people off the sp part of the game to work on it.

Sick of people who hate multiplayer demanding it never be there. If you don't like it your not being forced to play it. This isnt COD there's no way in hell it'd effect the single player part of the game. It'd be a nice bonus for those of us who do wanna experience the ME universe and combat with their friends.

of course it will effect the sp portion of the game, if its co-op the entire sp experience from me1 and me2 will have to reworked so that there will be less dialog and more action, abilities are going to have to be reworked so they arnt overpowered for when two or more people are playing in short the whole game will have to be changed for co-op compatibility,
    if the game has a generic death-match mode or similar it will take time and resources from the team working on the game as ea are not just going to go "hey bioware we love you take this other team for mp development plus the millions of dollars needed and as well as that take an extra year or two to work it out properly as we dont mind"
    bioware have never put proper mp in to any of their games so they have zero experience in that field why take the massive risk of fecking up the grand finale of a great series because the feel the need to compete with the mp craze that is happening now especially when it is not needed in this series
    btw bioware do not have a dedicated multiplayer team and to get one they would need a lot of $

Nah its not a massive risk, I highly doubt there will be coop and even if there was I think you are massively overestimating the tweeking needed to just have someone control garrus during the firefights. Dunno if you ever played the game on insantiy but there would be no need to tweek any of the abilitys or anything. Just up the difficulty a bit. Theres no reason for this to effect the SP at all.

2nd regarding taking time for a MP mode from the single player team, it was already reported that biowire hired people for multiplayer coding on the unreal engine.

This is what sparked MP DLC rumours for ME2.

You seem to be thinking adding multiplayer means turning the single player game into a multiplayer gears of war style thing. Which is off the wall.

You could easily add mutliplayer to ME2 for example, again just allow a friend to control your squad mates during the firefights for coop. And for PVP some mercs v mercs style game modes like TDM with console hacking needed and so on. Impossible for it to hurt the SP portion of the game.

Nah its not a massive risk, I highly doubt there will be coop and even if there was I think massively overestimating the tweeking needed to just have someone control garrus during the firefights. Dunno if you ever played the game on insantiy but there would be no need to tweek any of the abilitys or anything. Just up the difficulty a bit. Theres no reason for this to effect the SP at all.

2nd regarding taking time for a MP mode from the single player team, it was already reported that biowire hired people for multiplayer coding on the unreal engine.

This is what sparked MP DLC rumours for ME2.

You seem to be thinking adding multiplayer means turning the single player game into a multiplayer gears of war style thing. Which is off the wall.

You could easily add mutliplayer to ME2, again just allow a friend to control your squad mates during the firefights for coop. And for PVP some mercs v mercs style game modes like TDM with console hacking needed and so on. Impossible for it to hurt the SP portion of the game.

co-op seems like a great idea until the conversations start (i know ive had some pretty long dialog scenes in me1 + me2) where your friend is just going to get sick of it and quit which is why im saying they will have to change that whole system for it (for me that is an integral part of mass effect).
    i have played on insanity and if two or more people where using some thing like charge or cloak it would be way too unfair and easy (they could up the difficulty but who wants to shoot something a 100 times to kill it).
    The mp team they hired is currently working on The Old Republic so they cant help unless the game comes out in like three years so it would have to be the main bioware team working on it which will harm the sp

I don't mind whether there's MP or not. If it's bad I just wont play it. It's all about the campaign.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Loved me1 loved me2 even more so cant wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Does anyone know where I could watch the VGAs tonight? Starting at 2AM Irish time. Apparently the official stream will be region-locked. Apparently people broadcast it live on Justin.tv and the like...

There's a massive demand for earth to be in the game from the ME community so I guess thats part of the reason. What screen shot are you talking about though?

Its the one with the Modern Warfare reject with a Sniper Rifle that just looked like BioWare trying to appeal to the wrong crowd.Earth should of been left aswell unless they plan on destroying it.Can't believe the ME Community wants that its as annoying as UK sites wanting every sequel to be set in London.Gta London,Assassins Creed 3 in London, Uncharted 3 set in London whats next Pokèmon London.

There's no way it won't be on JustinTV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Here's the debut trailer for Mass Effect 3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-10-mass-effect/708363

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Looking very cool!

• The Reapers sorta reminded me of something you'd see in a Power Rangers episode though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,720 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cool - was that Sean Bean's voice I heard of the random sniper? You certainly can't fault the CGI of the trailer anyway. Oh and I notice Shephard's wearing the N7 armour - so is that him back working for Earth again?

I presume the plot is going to be Shepard & Pals seeking some technological McGuffin that will win the day, or chase an alliance of worlds to help Earth. I have a funny feeling though that they're going to press the reset button and kill off most of ME2's characters (rather than try and accomodate all those that didn't die in the previous game)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Tbh im getting a bit sick of the whole mass effect plot line. The premisses hasn't changed at all. Go put together a crew. Get alien weapons. Win the day. It's going to be a pure action game with dialogue . They are playing this far too safely in terms of plot because it's so predictable. The council will be saying "We don't want to help Earth" and then we have to go convince them. Would of been much more interesting to see a bit of betrayal in the council as Repear sleepers gain control and ensue a civil war of sorts.

I damn near predicted the whole Generic oh london is under attack thing.I'm not a fan of it I think the choices you made in ME1 won't matter in this cause EA/Bioware want to justify not being able to make it properly on PS3.Hope that most the cast from the 1st game return,the majority introduced in the 2nd were instantly forgetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

GTR63 wrote: »
    ,the majority introduced in the 2nd were instantly forgetable.

Not Miranda though! Hmm Miranda... :P

Can't wait for this. Gonna pick up the Ps3 version of ME3 when it comes out, switching my ME allegiance from 360 to PS3! Wanted to play it again anyway, but this way i gets trophies :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whens it due out?

Not Miranda though! Hmm Miranda... :P

Can't wait for this. Gonna pick up the Ps3 version of ME3 when it comes out, switching my ME allegiance from 360 to PS3! Wanted to play it again anyway, but this way i gets trophies :cool:

Miranda was great but Jacob & Thane were very bland.Jack was one dimentional & a missed opportunity,Grunt was rubbish compared to Wrex & Mordin was incredibly annoying after about 5 minutes.
    Whats in the PS3 Version I can't play DLC so without any ME2 GOTY edition I may have to pick it up to play some of the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Whens it due out?

The trailer says holiday 2011, im assuming thats xmas 2011, so one more year.

• Advertisement

hmm long time away,just watched the trailer looks very cool.

Advertisement