Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Scrambled Egg

• 24-06-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Probably one of the easiest things to make yet I feck it up.:mad: Making some this morning and it basically turned out like an omelette.

So how do you lot make your scrambled egg?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I do the following to make two good size portions:

Crack 6 eggs in a jug and mix with grinded salt, pepper, teaspoon of mushed butter and about a 1/5 of a cup of milk. Mix well.

Melt some butter and olive oil in a pan and throw in the mix when ready.

From here its just a case of keeping it on a medium heat and continually stirred so as not to let it stick to the pan.

Et voila, eggs ala delly.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Probably one of the easiest things to make yet I feck it up.:mad: Making some this morning and it basically turned out like an omelette.

So how do you lot make your scrambled egg?

I was trying to make an omelette last week but it got stuck to the pan and fell apart as I tried to take it out-I ended up with scrambled egg. :D

But to make scrambled egg just through it all into the pan and keep moving stirring it while it cooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I do them in the microwave. one whole egg and one white, whisk it up till it all goes yellow and add a wee dash of water. Nuke for 50 seconds. It will have started to stick to the edge of the bowl so break up the pieces and give it a good mix. Nuke for another 40 seconds. Break up the pieces with a fork and stir. Then another 20 seconds, break up the pieces and stir again. It might take another 10 or 20 seconds then Voila!

it's all about the stirring :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Eve and Gavin should exchange recipes :D

Is it an absolute travesty to make scrambled egg in the microwave? Cos that's what I do :o

Anybody got interesting suggestions of what to add to make it interesting? I find breakfast boring at the best of times :p I just have 2 eggs and a bit of milk, and some salt and pepper. Maybe I'll throw in some cheese and butter next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭olaola

It's like an omlette with more hand action :D

Just break them up more - and leave them runnier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Scrambled egg for 2
    Whish 4 eggs in a bowl and season with pepper only - apparently salt makes the eggs grey. Add a knob of butter to a non stick pan and swirl to coat the pan. Back on a high heat and stir with a spatula, keeping the eggs moving. When they are nearly set, take off the heat and stir once or twice before plating up. They should be light and a little wet.If they are cooked to dry while on the heat, the residual heat in the pan makes the eggs tougher. I like truffle oil on scrambled eggs, expensive for a small nugget of black truffle in a phial of olive oil, but a little goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Dave! wrote: »
    Anybody got interesting suggestions of what to add to make it interesting? I find breakfast boring at the best of times :p I just have 2 eggs and a bit of milk, and some salt and pepper. Maybe I'll throw in some cheese and butter next time...

I go through the herbs in the press and throw in anything that smells good. Maybe some thyme, basil or parsley. Pretty much anything that fits with what my taste buds want at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

2 eggs 1 egg white, whisk, throw milk in.
    Then in the microwave for 1.30 take out and stir.Throw in for another 1.30 and there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭olaola

Minder wrote: »
    Scrambled egg for 2
    Whish 4 eggs in a bowl and season with pepper only - apparently salt makes the eggs grey.

Overcooking makes them go grey/black (iron sulphide).

I agree with the 'wet' eggs - I hate overcooked tough eggs. Yeuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

OP: you're probably not doing too wrong, just keep fluffing it up with a fork and don't overcook it.

Dave! add some chopped tomato or ham half way through for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

My wife makes great scrambled eggs, I make crap ones. The difference seems to be that she takes a lot longer than I do at it. Low low heat, occassionally moving the pan off the heat. Using a silicon spatula to keep moving things off the bottom of the pan. Milk, salt, pepper.

****ing amazing with ballymaloe relish and smoked salmon. A little bit of cream in the mix also works.,

I reckon if you take what seems like an absurd amount of time to make them it will be good.

Also I would only use butter - olive oil is too strong a flavour for eggs for me.

Microwave is also an abomination (sorry eclectichoney).

PEACE OUT HOMIES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

crack the eggs into a saucepan with a lump of butter/spread.don't start stirring until on the heat,then constantly at low temp.just before the eggs look done add milk/cream,pepper and chives if you want.then keep stirring until cooked to your preference.i never add salt to scrambled eggs,hate it.there's a vid of gordon ramsey on youtube cooking them in this way if you need further help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Dave! wrote: »

Throw in some dill and serve the eggs with smoked salmon. Very tasty.

You can also try mixing in some pesto before you throw them in the pan. They go an interesting colour, and taste pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cheers people for the suggestions.

Eve, one day I go over to yours' or you come to mine and I'll make you an "omelette" and you can make me "scrambled" eggs.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I add some bacon pieces into my scrambled eggs in the pan, lovely jubbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Some people like their eggs voluminous and fluffy and dry but I like them buttery soft. I saw Delia making them once and, like previous posters, she cooks them on a low heat, stirring all the time. Stop cooking when they are still slightly wet. Lovely with chopped crispy streaky bacon mixed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I use Delia's method. A good knob of butter into the pan. Coat the bottom of the pan and an inch up the side. Add your whisked eggs (no milk), and stir on a lowish heat. When nearly done, but still pretty wet, remove from the heat, add another knob of butter, stir, and serve. With free-range eggs and plenty of butter they come out bright yellow and creamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

+1 for RE*AC*TOR's smoked salmon suggestion. I find it complements the taste of the eggs/vice versa really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

One of my favourite things to eat, fairly healthy and quick to make.

Usualy i stick some butter, black pepper , Ham , tomatoes , Spring onions , Oats in them.

Getting bland as of late :D

Anyone have any other fav's they have for scrambeled eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭fourmations

crack the eggs into a saucepan with a lump of butter/spread.don't start stirring until on the heat,then constantly at low temp.just before the eggs look done add milk/cream,pepper and chives if you want.then keep stirring until cooked to your preference.i never add salt to scrambled eggs,hate it.there's a vid of gordon ramsey on youtube cooking them in this way if you need further help! :)

+lots

ramsays method results in amazing eggs
    (the creme fraiche really makes the difference)

try it and you wont do it any other way ever again

ciao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mushrooms and garlic, pan fry them in the butter and then make the scrambles eggs on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Yes I use a non stick pot. Whisk 2 eggs, drop of milk and knob of butter together with some black pepper, I let it heat then use a spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot. The slower the better....

Served on a toasted bagel.... Yum!

ah didnt think to do a search for another thread :o

could you use natural yogurt over crem fraiche?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

For 1 portion: I mix 3 eggs and a splash of cream in a bowl with a fork, while melting a knob of butter in the pan on a medium-low heat.

Feck in the egg mixture and start giving it a slow stir. Eventually it will start to curd (is that the right word for it?) Start scraping these curdy bits off of the bottom of the pan while still stirring.

When it looks almost done, take the pan off the heat, add a pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper and some chives. Keep stirring! When it looks really creamy and has such a consistancy that you could spread it on a slice of toast, you're done.

Spread on toast and top it off with a nice thick slice of grilled Clonakilty black pudding :p

Gonna go make this right now!!!

tried the gordon ramsay way from the youtube clip, have to say they were pretty tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Should never be done in a microwave !!!

Personally I hate runny scrambled eggs. For a real buzz at breakfast, try some chopped thinly sliced chorzo added to it (makes them orange), really spicy.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do "sheet" scrampled eggs like you get in breakfast McGriddles in McDonalds in the US

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

For what its worth this is what I do:

Cover the bottom of a sauce pan with milk to about 2cm depth, lob in a knob of butter, salt,pepper and a crushed clove of garlic. Put on a medium heat.

Break 4 eggs into a bowl whisk with tablespoon of sour cream.

Chop some fresh basil and add to the egg mixture.

When the butter has all melted into the milk, add the egg mix and keep stirring until its done to whatever way you like. Personally I'm a runny egg man.

Its also lovely to throw some chopped tomotoes in there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

iMax wrote: »
    Should never be done in a microwave !!!

Personally I hate runny scrambled eggs. For a real buzz at breakfast, try some chopped thinly sliced chorzo added to it (makes them orange), really spicy.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do "sheet" scrampled eggs like you get in breakfast McGriddles in McDonalds in the US
    the sort of scrambled eggs you used to get here from maccyd's before they went to the "poached" egg... pour from container of uht prescrambled egg onto griddle, let sit for a bit, and move about lots w/ the special scraper, pick up and serve.

the secret is probably not so much in what happens inthe kitchen as how they prescramble the eggs. afaik, the american stuff wasnt moved around. but cut up in slices from a giant "omlette"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

eve wrote: »
    I go through the herbs in the press and throw in anything that smells good. Maybe some thyme, basil or parsley. Pretty much anything that fits with what my taste buds want at that time.

I chop a little chive..wow:pac:

Advertisement