Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

i tried using evasi0n jailbreak yesterday but it said the iphone must be activated first, what type of jailbreak would you suggest?

What version of ios do you have on it?

Do a Redsn0w jailbreak. And then if you're on ios6 run evasi0n after you get the phone up and running. It'll say that your phone is already jailbroken but just run it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

naasrd wrote: »
    Nice, never knew about that, thanks!
    I Installed CoverMeNot but it doesn't push down the banner :(
    Simply Red wrote: »
    Sorry should have mentioned that its not actually working for me either, I dont think its been updated to work with ios6 yet
    Got an update in cydia for this just now and its working perfectly now on ios6

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

Joined the iPhone universe again for the first time in about three years. Gonna jailbreak it later. Never found it too challenging before. Anything I should be warned off before I jailbreak? Are their ever issues when updates come out or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

pedatron wrote: »
    Joined the iPhone universe again for the first time in about three years. Gonna jailbreak it later. Never found it too challenging before. Anything I should be warned off before I jailbreak? Are their ever issues when updates come out or anything?

None that I've encountered, and a new update came out the other day too. It's very strait forward JB

Good to hear! Looking forward to getting back into the JB scene! Some of the mods look great. Any issues with slow down or battery consumption after JB?

pedatron wrote: »

Good to hear! Looking forward to getting back into the JB scene! Some of the mods look great. Any issues with slow down or battery consumption after JB?

No, especially with intelliscreenx, it's a beaut and my battery is fine with it. Running that Sparrow mail push, Auxo & Aloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Looks like Apple's set to break the Evasi0n jailbreak with the 6.1.3 update.

However, the Evaders team have said they could have enough new exploits to create a brand new jailbreak from scratch, providing Apple don't patch those too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

My battery life has gone to sh!t since I jail broke. Not sure what's doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AndrewHoey2012

What version of ios do you have on it?

Do a Redsn0w jailbreak. And then if you're on ios6 run evasi0n after you get the phone up and running. It'll say that your phone is already jailbroken but just run it anyway.

not exactly an iphone jock, 6.1 i think? thatd be the newest update ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

david75 wrote: »

Same, I was getting literally no more than 5 hours out of a full charge with mild usage. I've gone vanilla for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

david75 wrote: »
    Same here, spent the last few days turning options on and off trying to get it to last longer than a few hours. Anyone any ideas?

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Same here, spent the last few days turning options on and off trying to get it to last longer than a few hours. Anyone any ideas?

Check if Brightness gone up to full in Settings. Though it shouldn't allow for such poor battery life.

Only at 1/4 full.

I turned off 3G yesterday. Last night was still crap but today was better. Still nowhere close to what it was before hand and that was with 3G always on. Used to get easily 24hours out of one charge and that was using it a decent amount. Use it less now and I still rarely get more than six hours out of it.

All the apps get closed properly, 3G is off, brightness is down, location is off for nearly everything. No idea what's causing the sudden change.

Only at 1/4 full.

I turned off 3G yesterday. Last night was still crap but today was better. Still nowhere close to what it was before hand and that was with 3G always on. Used to get easily 24hours out of one charge and that was using it a decent amount. Use it less now and I still rarely get more than six hours out of it.

All the apps get closed properly, 3G is off, brightness is down, location is off for nearly everything. No idea what's causing the sudden change.

Very odd. Download anything recently? I had an issue a while back where the App Store was trying to load for ages, I quit the app but it still tried to load in the background and used quite a bit of battery throughout the day until I noticed. Kill all apps anyway for now, give it a full charge before heading to bed and see what it loses over night. Mine in Airplane mode drops 2-5%. Not sure what the average is in standby.

Was on charge to about 11pm, down to 46% now. Last few times it'd have been down to about 20% by now. It's better, but still not great. It's been hardly used all night. If I had been using it, it'd probably be dead by now.

Battery life has definitely been effected since I JB. Not killing me but a definite decrease in performance! All the tweaks are probably the cause. If it doesn't improve I'll be taking them back off I'd say. Not worth the loss of battery performance for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

Ive installed a theme from winterboard, but i dont like the way it changes the Icons. Is there any way to change just them back to normal icons?
    Is there a 'Original Icon' theme or such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I'm looking for some advice as to how I am going to get my iPhone 4 back working again. It is a long story but please bear with me !

So I bought it 18 months ago, 2nd hand on Donedeal. It was jailbroken, Cydia installed and (AFAIK) on iOS4 or 4.1.

So before going on holidays I wanted to update the software to 6.0 so I could download a few apps that wouldn't download as they said they needed newer software. I went to iTunes and I backed the phone up (apps, music, contacts, etc) and then set the software update in motion.

When that was done the thing wouldn't work, keeps saying SIM card not recognised even though it is the same sim. So I bring it to a unlocking shop. He puts the IMEI into an engine and reveals it is locked to Vodafone UK. He says he can get it unlocked again for €40. Grand, paid him and waited a week. But then Vodafone UK come back and tell me that the phone has been blacklisted- basically it looks like I was sold a phone that was reported lost or stolen and hence Vodafone are refusing to issue unlock codes.

So then last Monday I went into another unlocking shop, Chinese run on Talbot St. He told me that I am in a spot of bother as it is now on 6.0 and as yet there is no jailbreak for this software. And he said it could be 6 months away or even further as Apple have gotten better and better at making difficult to hack codes.

He did give me one bit of hope. He said there are online services that can unlock it no matter what the history of the phone, blacklisted or not. However he said to be careful as there are scams out there.

So I guess what I am looking for is a service that can do this for me and that people here know not to be a scam. I know the phone is blacklisted but a quick google around reveals a good few services claiming to be able to do it. At this stage I just want my phone back working as this fecking Samsung I am using is driving me around the bend and it is been 2 months now of clunky text messaging and a touch screen that only works when it feels like it.

The other question I have is that if I get it back working again and then I go to iTunes and upload the back-up I have there will it block off on me again? i.e. should I just forget about all the apps, numbers, music as to upload them could likely put me back to square one again ?

Any help is much much appreciated.

edit- I should add that back in January I tried a few options listed here in the opening page, using Redsnow, etc. I had it tethered and followed all the instructions but it still didn't work for me. Maybe I did it wrong as I'm not the most technically minded but from what I remember error messages came up in Redsnow- it was like the software was saying to me 'sh1t even we can't fix this fecker!'.

RATM wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice as to how I am going to get my iPhone 4 back working again. It
    He did give me one bit of hope. He said there are online services that can unlock it no matter what the history of the phone, blacklisted or not. However he said to be careful as there are scams out there.

So I guess what I am looking for is a service that can do this for me and that people here know not to be a scam. I know the phone is blacklisted but a quick google around reveals a good few services claiming to be able to do it. At this stage I just want my phone back working as this fecking Samsung I am using is driving me around the bend and it is been 2 months now of clunky text messaging and a touch screen that only works when it feels like it.

The other question I have is that if I get it back working again and then I go to iTunes and upload the back-up I have there will it block off on me again? i.e. should I just forget about all the apps, numbers, music as to upload them could likely put me back to square one again ?

Any help is much much appreciated'.

I'm afraid it's not going to work here if it's blacklisted, only outside Britian and Ireland.

mcw92 wrote: »
    Ive installed a theme from winterboard, but i dont like the way it changes the Icons. Is there any way to change just them back to normal icons?
    Is there a 'Original Icon' theme or such?

Just un tick it in winterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm afraid it's not going to work here if it's blacklisted, only outside Britian and Ireland.
    I thought blacklist only applies in the country the phone was from. Other posts here before suggest so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I have a 4s that I have jail broken and I am now trying to unlock it. I went through the SAM/iClarified procedure but I discovered after trying it a few times that Apple have now blocked this method.

I have been onto Vodafone 10 times to try to get it unlocked but i may as well be shouting into a hole in the ground.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an unlock procedure ?

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I have a 4s that I have jail broken and I am now trying to unlock it. I went through the SAM/iClarified procedure but I discovered after trying it a few times that Apple have now blocked this method.

I have been onto Vodafone 10 times to try to get it unlocked but i may as well be shouting into a hole in the ground.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an unlock procedure ?

It's not possible to software unlock it, you can buy a gevey sim but that is dependant on the baseband or else get a shop to unlock it but expect to pay between €50 and €120

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

guil wrote: »
    It's not possible to software unlock it, you can buy a gevey sim but that is dependant on the baseband or else get a shop to unlock it but expect to pay between €50 and €120

ok thanks, back to vodafone so....

Are you certain of this ? A few people have told me different- said that there are online services that can get it factory re-set regardless of history. I came across one a few weeks ago and read reviews of it which backed up what they were saying. But stupid me forgot to bookmark it and now I can't find it again.

Even if it can't be done surely there is some way of changing the IMEI with some software and then beginning from scratch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

It'll cost a few quid, but it looks like the phone can be unlocked from VF UK even though its barred.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PREMIUM-VODAFONE-UK-FACTORY-UNLOCKING-IPHONE-4S-4-3GS-3G-100-SAFE-or-MONEYBACK-/271161692850?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item3f227f12b2

RATM wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice as to how I am going to get my iPhone 4 back working again. It is a long story but please bear with me !

So I bought it 18 months ago, 2nd hand on Donedeal. It was jailbroken, Cydia installed and (AFAIK) on iOS4 or 4.1.

So before going on holidays I wanted to update the software to 6.0 so I could download a few apps that wouldn't download as they said they needed newer software. I went to iTunes and I backed the phone up (apps, music, contacts, etc) and then set the software update in motion.

When that was done the thing wouldn't work, keeps saying SIM card not recognised even though it is the same sim. So I bring it to a unlocking shop. He puts the IMEI into an engine and reveals it is locked to Vodafone UK. He says he can get it unlocked again for €40. Grand, paid him and waited a week. But then Vodafone UK come back and tell me that the phone has been blacklisted- basically it looks like I was sold a phone that was reported lost or stolen and hence Vodafone are refusing to issue unlock codes.

So then last Monday I went into another unlocking shop, Chinese run on Talbot St. He told me that I am in a spot of bother as it is now on 6.0 and as yet there is no jailbreak for this software. And he said it could be 6 months away or even further as Apple have gotten better and better at making difficult to hack codes.

Any help is much much appreciated.

edit- I should add that back in January I tried a few options listed here in the opening page, using Redsnow, etc. I had it tethered and followed all the instructions but it still didn't work for me. Maybe I did it wrong as I'm not the most technically minded but from what I remember error messages came up in Redsnow- it was like the software was saying to me 'sh1t even we can't fix this fecker!'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No doubt there will be numerous threads on this subject, so I thought I would pre-empt them and create a sticky.

Can I buy a phone in the US and use it over here?

Yes, but it must be the GSM/AT&T model, purchased SIM-free directly from Apple. Handsets purchased from Verizon will not work with the GSM carriers here as they do not take a SIM card. Handsets purchased from AT&T usually come with a minimum-term contract and are locked to the AT&T network.

Can I use my Vodafone/Meteor/Three/Other SIM in an iPhone purchased from a mobile carrier?

No. Not until you Jailbreak it and Unlock it, or have your carrier Unlock it.

It is important to note that some Irish carriers are now unlocking iPhones officially - please consult your carrier for more info.

I purchased my iPhone directly from Apple. Is it unlocked?

Yes. iPhones purchased from Apple.ie or from Apple stores are factory unlocked.

Jailbreak? Unlock? Sounds scary.

They are not really. iClarified have a jailbreak wizard to show you step-by-step how to jailbreak any device here.

What's the difference between Jailbreaking an iPhone and unlocking it?

Jailbreaking allows you to install non-App Store programs. Unlocking it allows you to use the iPhone on any GSM network.

Can't I just buy an unlocked phone?

You can, but only directly from Apple or authorised Apple retailers (or on adverts.ie / eBay). It is simply a matter of walking into a phone shop and purchasing one, bringing it home, and popping in your SIM card. You cannot purchased unlocked iPhones in the USA, as they are locked to AT&T.

How do I jailbreak / unlock my iPhone?

If your carrier will not unlock your phone officially, then you will need to jailbreak & unlock.

See the unlocking wizard on iClarified here.

At the time of this writing, all iOS devices & every iOS can be jailbroken. However, newer devices and iOS's require a "tethered" jailbreak.

Tethered - If your device is ever powered off, you will need to connect it to a computer and run redsn0w to turn it back on.

iOS 3.1.2 - 4.0.1
    Untethered

Every device on iOS versions 3.1.2 - 4.0.1 can be jailbroken by visiting http://www.jailbreakme.com in safari on their iDevice.
    iOS 4.0.2 - 4.1
    Untethered

Every device on iOS versions 4.0.2 - 4.1 can be jailbroken with redsn0w.
    iOS 4.2 (4.2.1)
    Some tethered, some untethered.

Every device on iOS 4.2 (4.2.1) can be jailbroken with redsn0w.

However, the following devices require a tethered jailbreak on this iOS:
    iPhone 3GS New Bootrom
    iPhone 4
    iPod touch 2nd Gen New Bootrom
    iPod touch 3rd & 4th Gen
    iPad

All others have an untethered jailbreak.
    redsn0w - Windows
    redsn0w - OSX

Unlock
    Currently, the following basebands can be unlocked:
    01.59.00 (iPhone 4)
    04.26.08 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    05.11.07 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    05.12.01 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    05.13.04 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    06.15.00 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    If you are on a qualifying baseband, simply run cydia on your jailbroken iPhone and install "ultrasn0w".

There is a new jailbreak out for ios6 for all apple devices

Student007 wrote: »

There is a new jailbreak out for ios6 for all apple devices
    The op hasn't being update in about 2 years and the jailbreak is out about 2 weeks now

paddy wrote: »

Thanks for that Paddy, that's exactly the type of service I am after, otherwise I might as well just throw the phone out. Not cheap at £75 but they have a money back guarantee if it doesn't unlock and I'll be using Paypal as extra security.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Hi guys,

Can an iphone 3gs on FW 6.1.2 and modem FW 05.16.08 be unlocked?

For free if possible???