Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geothermal underfloor heating

• 14-01-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi, i have geothermal underfloor heating system (neura heat pump) the houseis 6 yrs old and 3300sq ft. The system does not appear to be working correctly,in the winter months it runs 24/7 to try to achieve a temp of 19 deg c.I have a target temp of 22 deg c set from 11pm to 8am butis usually around 17.5 to 18.1 at 7.30am this seems to depend on how cold it is outside. My Electricity costs are huge, and i am considering changing the system to run on oil,i would be interested to hear from anyone who uses this system. Also my hot water runs for 16 hrs per day, there ar 4 of us in the house so shower useage not unusually high, also around 1 to 2 loads of washing per day,i am finding some days i also have to boost the hot water during the day as we have none,i have a 500ltr tank, this seems excessive. All the equipment for the UFH is in the garage around 10ft from the house, not sure if this has any bearing on the problemsi am having. Another problem is the ground around the heat pump rises and falls depending on weather.in the winter it will rise and then sink in the summer,i had an engineer out a few years ago and he said it was an ice block which made the ground rise, then it will sink as it melts, surely the system would not work efficiently!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

we are also not too happy with the system. few faults at the start which ended up with MASSIVE bills. Has ran smoothly last 2 years but constantly have to check it and watch meters..etc we have had to turn off the hot water to keep our bills down. We don't have too much problem keeping temps up but not very efficient/reliable when you have to heat the whole house. Our system in garage too, probably further than yours. Had a big problem with anti-freeze 2 years ago - too much of the stuff in pipes and heat wasn't coming through. Have you rang the company that installed it? Ours wasn't helpful with aftercare/problems. Our christmas bill was €468 if thats any help to you. Did have heating and water (not at same time) on alot more as had visitors staying and also have baby in the house. Oh...we also have thought about changing to oil!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

give us a little more info on your energy usage how many kilowatts(esb units) per month do you use
    what type of house design do you have (bunglow two storey dormer)
    what insulation levels are in attic ........wall construction type

• Registered Users Posts: 5 c_inns

Hi just an update, have had 3 different heating engineers out to look at system, and they all made the comment that the system from what they can see has been badly installed, and are wondering if the loops under the floor have also been skimped on. I have only one thermostat for the whole house which they also could not understand. none of them are of the opinion that changing to oil will help my problem, they believe i could be throwing good money after bad!!!!

Niteowl thanks for your comments, i have had the company out that installed system numerous times over the years since having it installed, but also have not been very helpful, they are blaming the insulation!! They had drawings and building spec at time of build, so if this was a problem it should have been highlighted then, we built in 2006 so regs not old. I have had to have replacement water tank and other parts since installation. I just got my bill for the last two months €756 better than same time last year but weather is milder this year. I wouldnt feel so bad if the house had been warm for this cost, but i had to light fires every evening , and put heaters in bedrooms before going to bed to take chill off, just seems crazy.

Liveandneutral in answer to your questions it is a bungalow with open mezannine floor to main sitting room. Block built, 12 inch insulation in loft. As regards esb useage this varys each month, but i have looked over the last year from Nov 10 to Nov 11,and total useage was
    10801 day units and 10968 night units.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

c_inns wrote: »
    Hi just an update, have had 3 different heating engineers out to look at system, and they all made the comment that the system from what they can see has been badly installed, and are wondering if the loops under the floor have also been skimped on. I have only one thermostat for the whole house which they also could not understand. none of them are of the opinion that changing to oil will help my problem, they believe i could be throwing good money after bad!!!!

Niteowl thanks for your comments, i have had the company out that installed system numerous times over the years since having it installed, but also have not been very helpful, they are blaming the insulation!! They had drawings and building spec at time of build, so if this was a problem it should have been highlighted then, we built in 2006 so regs not old. I have had to have replacement water tank and other parts since installation. I just got my bill for the last two months €756 better than same time last year but weather is milder this year. I wouldnt feel so bad if the house had been warm for this cost, but i had to light fires every evening , and put heaters in bedrooms before going to bed to take chill off, just seems crazy.

Liveandneutral in answer to your questions it is a bungalow with open mezannine floor to main sitting room. Block built, 12 inch insulation in loft. As regards esb useage this varys each month, but i have looked over the last year from Nov 10 to Nov 11,and total useage was
    10801 day units and 10968 night units.
    Just out of interest do you have very large windows in any rooms and i would be looking at thermal imaging to highlight biggest heat loss areas.

Also would you consider/ is it possible for you to get solar connected to the cylinder, if sized correctly and installed correctly it would take a sizable load off of the heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kilowhiskey

Hi, I have a Neura GSHP system in a new house, 2 years old, but we are the first occupants. It's about 2200 sq ft so not very large, it's timber frame with a high level of insulation in walls. However the heating has been a disaster, it doesn't keep the house warm when the outside temperature falls below about 6C. and above that it still struggles during to mainatain the temperature settings. We have it set for 18C during the day and 22 at night to try to use the low rate electric to build up the heat.
    We have never achieved more that 19C overnight often it actually falls below 18C.

One thing I have noticed is that water temperature in the floor loops is about 22C which I think is too low when allowing for the floors thermal impedance, but I don;t know how to set it higher.

I have tried to contact the Irish agents for Neura but have been told they're gone bust, tried contacting Neura in austria but have had no response to about 15 emails asking for help. Spoke to an engineer for Dimplex systems and he didn;t seem surpised as he's heard a lot of complains about Neura. He said that the Dimplex system would normally not have any problem with 2200sq ft house. But I supose he would say that wouldn't he.

Sorry this is not more positve but I feel we're in the same boat here. If you have any luck in getting the system to work better please let me know how you achieve it, I'll do the same likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Rushworth

Sorted, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

@ Rushworth:

Read the contract, if you had been ripped-off you can get your money back.

It always takes two to fool someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kanoute696

Hi All, has anybody had any breakthrough with their Neura's?.... I'm onto an engineer in Neura Austria at the moment , he doesn't want to help but I keep pestering him so hopefully I'll have some kind of a breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Olivia Power

We have a neura heat pump also that never worked and have had the compressor replaced every winter for the past 4 years but it only lasted 2/3 weeks when it was turned back on, so we never had a winter with heat..I was wondering if people who are having problems with this system would consider coming together as a group and get professional assistance in helping us with our issues involving this company as together a more favourable outcome may be achieved..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 vmfg

gO FOR THE OIL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Man those bills are huge. Just give you an idea of my bills, built a bunglow last yr 1900sqft with oil central heating with rads and stove connected to rads too. Solar panels also. Esb every 2mts 100-120 euro. Oil and coal + sticks for stove add up to about 1200 for the yr. Total bill 2k roughly for the yr.

Someone mentioned solar panels there, mine today,30 tubes connected to 300ltr tank i had 34deg,not bad for 10th december. Might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Biffo83

We have a neura heat pump also that never worked and have had the compressor replaced every winter for the past 4 years but it only lasted 2/3 weeks when it was turned back on, so we never had a winter with heat..I was wondering if people who are having problems with this system would consider coming together as a group and get professional assistance in helping us with our issues involving this company as together a more favourable outcome may be achieved..

Yes please I will definitely help with looking for assistance in this. It's ridiculous we changed compressor it lasted two weeks!

I am interested in trying to come togetheron this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Olivia Power

What County ar u from?

What County ar u from?
    Offaly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What County ar u from?

The name is a general good give away! :)

Them temps are struggling and I thought we were having low temps!!!
    Dont have the Neura but I did the UFH myself, we have loop gaps less 50mm so it must be helping.

Them running costs are nuts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

Hi Olivia, I have come across this thread and am also having serious service issues with this agent and Neura. I would like to get involved. How can I get upto date info on any actions so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Can this heat system be converted to run of oil,And if so would it cost a fortune to run considering the large space it has to heat,

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AppleMuncher

Hi Olivia,

I'm also having issues with my Neura heat pump, I'm interested in your suggestion to come together to pool our resources. Can you drop me an email at: adrianmurphy@me.com please?

Thanks,
    Adrian Murphy, Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A quick google (in German) shows that many folks have problems with Neura heat pumps I'm afraid...so it doesn't seem like it's just poor workmanship by the Irish agent but rather a poor quality product. Have found several posts from folks who've had multiple parts replaced in their HPs and still no joy. Google "neura wärmepumpe störung/probleme" and use google translate if your German is not up to it. Some people have already sued the company by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

murphaph wrote: »
    A quick google (in German) shows that many folks have problems with Neura heat pumps I'm afraid...so it doesn't seem like it's just poor workmanship by the Irish agent but rather a poor quality product. Have found several posts from folks who've had multiple parts replaced in their HPs and still no joy. Google "neura wärmepumpe störung/probleme" and use google translate if your German is not up to it. Some people have already sued the company by the looks of it.

you are correct murphaph - the whole thing is quite FUBAR ...
    unreal amount of issues with these things and no backup maintenance etc etc or even technical know how with the main partner in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kilowhiskey

HI, I know this was some time ago but did you get sufficient people to show interest in a users pressure group. If not too late I would like to add my name to it.
    I've had so many similar problems to the other Neura users that it's got to point were I want to change it, but I want to know if any redress can be obtained from Neura...

KW

• Registered Users Posts: 2 poppy12345

Hi

We are having similar problems with our Neura heatpump (geothermal heating).

System was installed in 2006. On 23rd December 2013 the compressor broke down. After a month of dealing with Tech (Irish service agent) and Neura directly in Austria - we had the compressor replaced free but paid astronomical service fees to Tech. Both were a living nightmare to try and deal with.

In April 2014 the compressor broke again. This time Tech said the oil had leaked into our ground loops and the system was contaminated and we would need a completely new system like air to water which would be likely to cost 10k. Tech and Neura have fallen out since then. Tech paid us back almost all the money we had paid them since December and have said they will have no more to do with us.

We did find out about a family in Kilkenny who had an air to water system installed by Neura. They apparently had the same problem as us and had been through 5 compressors.

We are now dealing directly with Neura who are doing all they can to put us on the long finger - here we are 30 days later with no heating and a 2 week old baby. They keep giving us the line that they only sell the heatpumps and any other problem is not theirs to deal with. Surely, it is up to them to have a service agent in place and someone we can deal with. They have said they will offer us the air to water system like the family in Kilkenny however getting the solid details on this has proved impossible. They are now saying they are putting a new service agent in place to deal with the problem. This is not happening any way quickly. I have spoken to the CEO, technical support and an engineer on a regular basis with only minor results.

So my main queries are:

Has anyone managed to get Neura to make good their heating problem?

Has anyone followed this matter up legally and had some success? We feel there is a case but of course there is the trade off of time and cost involved to pursue it.

What are the alternatives? We have priced other air to water systems but they are too expensive for us at this time. We are trying to persist with Neura but it is very frustrating to date.

Did the pressure group ever get off the ground? There seems to be a large number of unhappy customers.

Thanks for any help :)

Advertisement