Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drayton Manor/Thomasland self catering

• 27-06-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Im going to be taking my family (2 adults + 3 kids , 7,5,10months) to either Alton Towers or Draytom Manor - leaning towards Drayton Manor, due to age of kids. Have everything sorted except accomodation.

Has anyone any suggestions/experience of either self catering accomodation or hotels with family rooms/adjoining rooms??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

was in thomasland earlier this year and had a fabulous time - they are opening a hotel in thomas land so try that. we stayed in travel lodge and it was a dive do not stay there. there are lots of hotels nearby in tamworth but not close enough to walk except the one on site , just google hotels tamworth. We hired a car, you definitely would need a car.
    go online also for money off vouchers - google money off vouchers for drayton manor and its usually buy one get on free. it was about 120 for the 4 of us but we ended up paying about 64 per day was there for 2 days. everyone in the queue had them.
    my kids are still talking about it - we will definitely go again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Hello all,

Im considering heading over to drayton manor in june. 2 Adults & 2 Kids.
    Would you recommend flying to Birmingham or taking the ferry?
    If i fly I think the best option would be to rent a car, would you agree? or is it just as handy to get from hollyhead to tamworth/birmingham by bus/train?

Im also considering driving my own car to drayton manor using the ferry, whats the pros & cons there?

If anyone else can provide some other info regarding drayton manor I would be greatful,,,Do's & Donts--where to stay---best place to get tickets etc etc

Thank you

Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cedar5

hi
    we took the car last year we stayed in a holiday inn in lichfield the hotel was on a list on thomas website.i emailed a number of them to get a price.the hotel was like a travel lodge but comfortable clean and beautiful buffet breakfast until 10am.next door was a mc donalds and a separate restaurant and loads of parking.staff were very helpful they also included the thomasland tickets in our price and booked through for us so we got a good deal and just had to hand in the tickets.thomasland was about a 20 min drive (max)we used the tesco clubcard vouchers for ferry we stayed 2 nights and the 2nd day we went to cadburys world also tesco vouchers but you would need a good 1 and a half hours to travel in just cos of traffic but we got there early and there is a great outdoor playground if you were waiting for your slot.

should have said we had 5 kids 8,6,4 and twins 2 but they loved boat and had a fabulous time in drayton manor we found car was far easier drive on drive off ?could bring snacks etc for kids filled car with fuel before we left drove to legoland back up to thomasland into cadbury world onto chester zoo and back to dublin and we only had to put 20 pound sterling of fuel into car heading to boat just to make sure we had enough in case of trafffic jams enjoy if you go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

cedar5 wrote: »
    should have said we had 5 kids 8,6,4 and twins 2 but they loved boat and had a fabulous time in drayton manor we found car was far easier drive on drive off ?could bring snacks etc for kids filled car with fuel before we left drove to legoland back up to thomasland into cadbury world onto chester zoo and back to dublin and we only had to put 20 pound sterling of fuel into car heading to boat just to make sure we had enough in case of trafffic jams enjoy if you go

I was just thinking that the car would be the best option. Holiday inn 20 mins away sounds ideal & Mcdonalds next door sounds great. Ill check out the inn & see if they still do Thomasland tickets. Thanks for the info.:)

• Advertisement

i fpund the details in an email of exact hotel
    Holiday Inn Express Lichfield
    Wall Island
    Birmingham Road
    Shenstone
    Lichfield
    Staffs
    WS14 0QP

phone +44 (0) 1[URL="callto:+1543%204827"]543 4827[/URL]00
    Fax +44 (0) 1[URL="callto:+1543%204831"]543 4831[/URL]06
    Email lichfield@morethanhotels.com
    Website www.morethanhotels.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

cedar5 wrote: »

I know this is an old thread and I am bumping it up but this option sounds very appealing to me.

Could you give me a little bit more information because I am clueless about England..

* how far from the ferry is Drayton Manor

** How far is it from Drayton to Legoland?

How long did you stay away for?

Many thanks, Anne

Hi Anne
    sorry only saw this
    we left on sunday am around 8am ferry from dublin port to holyhead drove straight to copthorne hotel in slough was about 5 and a half hr drive stopped at a burger king on the way down after 3 and a half hrs (our kids are used to long distances travelling down the country min 3hrs) we got there about 5pm
    went to lego land all day mon and tuesday (if going again i would go for 3 days in the park)on tues eve we drove up from legoland at 6pm to lichfield and got there around 8.30/9pm
    spent wednesday in drayton manor younger kids loved the thomas park the twins who were then 2 still talk about it 3 yrs later stuff for older children in the rest of the park. stayed in same hotel in lichfield again and
    on thursday am drove into cadburys world in birmingham and that evening headed for chester wouldnt recommend the hotel we stayed in but there was a quality hotel and travelodge which i hadnt realised so would use one of them if going!
    on friday am we went to chester zoo and used our dublin zoo family pass so it didn't cost us anything and headed for the boat about 4 that eve and got late ferry back so it was 6 days /5 nights jam packed but the kids loved it and they are all good travellers so we were lucky
    it was great having the car to bring snacks etc you can use your tesco clubcard tokens for irish ferries and cadburys world we did! so it helps with the cost and we filled the car with diesel before we left and we put 20 pounds in chester as a precaution heading for the ferry but we probably would have got away without it but didnt want to take the chance
    drayton manor is probably about 3 hrs from the boat by car if there is anything else just ask it cost us 1800 euro in total for the whole trip with 2 rooms each night in hotels all the way
    tesco paid for most of the ferry and all of cadbury world and chester zoo was free for us cos of the family pass
    enjoy if you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

Thank you so much for that!

Sounds like a fabulous holiday

Advertisement