Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My nerves are really bad

• 25-03-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so the past while my nerves and anxiety have got really bad, i find it hard to get on a bus or walk around the shops without takeing panic attacks, the past week or so my nerves have gone so bad i cant eat im sick to the stomach and have nealy threw up a few times this weekend, i havent ate a thing since saturday lunch time, i have being to the doctor before and asked him to prescribe me something like xanax but he says im to young im 28, and i cant take this much more

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If your doctor is not helping, go to another one. You may not necessarily need medication, but they can recommend the correct course of treatment you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I'm 26 and have been prescribed xanax for panic attacks. I would say change doctors and see what the new one says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm 23 and was on medication for anxiety from 17 to 22, so it can be done, age has nothing to do with it.

Go to another doctor, get a second opinion and discuss other options like therapy, too. Medication might not necessarily be the best course for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ive went to the doctor a few times and he prescribes me lexapro, thats an anti depressant and it takes months to kick in and i find it useless, he keeps saying im to young for xanax and il get addicted, im going to see a different female doctor tomro so hopefully she will prescribe xanax i havent ate a thing today, and i feel like throwing up its all my nerves, at 28 i think its time to get something to sort out this problem

Ive went to the doctor a few times and he prescribes me lexapro, thats an anti depressant and it takes months to kick in and i find it useless, he keeps saying im to young for xanax and il get addicted, im going to see a different female doctor tomro so hopefully she will prescribe xanax i havent ate a thing today, and i feel like throwing up its all my nerves, at 28 i think its time to get something to sort out this problem

Have you tried taking the Lexapro and sticking with it?

I mean, if you keep going in specifically saying that you want Xanax, I can see why he wouldn't prescribe it. Anti-depressants can work for anxiety if the root cause of anxiety is depression. They also act as an anti-impulsivity aid.

Doctors aren't keen on prescribing something highly addictive (as most anti-anxiety medications are), which is understandable, but you should really look into other options instead of just asking for Xanax every time, there are many other options available such as cognitive behavioural therapy.

• Advertisement

yes i was on lexapro for 2 years and all it did was make my mouth dry and give me sleepless nights, the thing is a family member is on xanax and i have tried them and find they relax me and make me alot calmer and i think there right for me especially the way im feeling these days, id prefer a tablet form that i can take when i need it not every day now because some days are better then others

yes i was on lexapro for 2 years and all it did was make my mouth dry and give me sleepless nights, the thing is a family member is on xanax and i have tried them and find they relax me and make me alot calmer and i think there right for me especially the way im feeling these days, id prefer a tablet form that i can take when i need it not every day now because some days are better then others

If you took it for that long and it didn't work for you, you can always discuss going on another type of medication or another option like therapy.

Why, why, WHY would you take somebody else's prescription medication? That's such a silly, potentially dangerous thing to do.

Tbh, it sounds as though you're unwilling to do anything but take Xanax, which is a really risky strategy. If that's all you're willing to do/take, I don't honestly blame your doctor for refusing. You can go to another doctor, but if that's all you're willing to consider, they could refuse too. Addictive medications are usually considered as a last resort. And believe me, they are very easy to become dependent on.

i tried other anti depressants and i found them useless to be honest, also if you dont have a problem with your nerves you cant really commemt on me takeing a xanax belong to a family member when there is no other medication that helps them horrible nervous feelings go away... i go in to my doctor tell him my story never mention xanax and he says i cant prescribe xanax or valium the two main tablets for nerve problems beacause of your age and sends me home, and im back to square one, also therapy is not gonna help when im standing in a shop and cant even go up to the counter when i see the amount of people around or when i get on a bus and see loads of people looking at me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I can understand both your point of view and your doctors. In my own limited experience, there has been a real move away from prescribing benzos (which xanax is) as they are so addictive. But there are alternatives, one of which i take. They work in a different way but have the same effect. Tbh they're so good i don't even bother with vailum now! .

There are plenty of other anti-deps out there and it can take a while to find the right one. Lexapro gave me awful restless legs. Im on cymbalta now. I have absolutely no side effects and it works a treat for me.

What meds are best for is taking the edge off so that we can work on stuff ourselves. You could describe it taking a panadol for a headache- it kills the pain, but doesnt explain why it's there. Maybe part of seeing your doc tomorrow could be to try and set up some counselling? CBT might help you with your anxiety.

Best of luck

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

OP, as its clear you only want Xanax, and are not open to suggestions of other avenues that may help you, I'm locking this thread as I do not see how posters can help you in this regard. Please see your GP.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement