Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Strange question but, well if the chances are I get it, I'd like to be as ready in advance as possible and I'm not living in Ireland at the moment so its difficult but you don't happen to have a link or number of the forms used for the process?

Oh dude, the earthquake was crazy. I was up near Carlsbad when it happened, glad I wasn't at home downtown. Felt another one last week in work. What's gonna happen next!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Yeah it was mad alright. Was in our 6th floor apartment in Mission Valley. Didnt know what was going for a while but had to run and save the tv from tumbling over to the floor. Has been a few aftershocks. Quite fun actually.

Forms that are included to be completed are DS230 (part I and II) and DSP122

Thats some great memory I have

You can process it from here if you are on another visa. You specify this on the forms the address in the US for the greencard to be sent to and where you want to do the interview. US Embassy Dublin would be for most.
    There is more hassle to doing it in the states (AOS is the term used) though than going back from the interview in dublin.

Thank you!

Don't want to go off topic but if you're planning any Padres games this season, let me know, maybe go for a drink or something!

Came across this article, seems to cover everything:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3190.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MossNyc

thenobody wrote: »
    Yeah it was mad alright. Was in our 6th floor apartment in Mission Valley. Didnt know what was going for a while but had to run and save the tv from tumbling over to the floor. Has been a few aftershocks. Quite fun actually.

Forms that are included to be completed are DS230 (part I and II) and DSP122

Thats some great memory I have

You can process it from here if you are on another visa. You specify this on the forms the address in the US for the greencard to be sent to and where you want to do the interview. US Embassy Dublin would be for most.
    There is more hassle to doing it in the states (AOS is the term used) though than going back from the interview in dublin.

Yeah i was living here legally on a h1b and could have done the change of status to a greencard but a buddy of mine who is an immigration attorney told me not to be a tool and bite the bullet and go home and do the interview there. More straightforward and less waiting. But if you are living legally in the US and get picked in the green card lottery it is possible to just change your status to a green card. its one of the options you have when you receive the notice letter.

• Advertisement

Yeah sure. meant to go to mondays game but the chance of rain scared some off. Dont know much about baseball at the moment. Went to a chargers game last year. Most boring load of crap sport have ever seen.

Seems to have most of the info but the minor details will catch you out but the 1st post covers it well.

Btw, if it comes to it you will need police certs from every country you lived in and they must be within 6 months at the time of the interview. This can be worrysome and an issue for some. You need to time these things well and your case number will give an idea of when the interview will be. I had only Ireland and still took a while. Its slower when trying to get it from other countries when you arent there.
    You will need bank statements going back a few months too - so they can see you didnt just dump money in the week before as you have to have enough money saved to be above the poverty line - think this is around $14.5K for a single person.
    Or an affidavit of support from a US person (very very intrusive forms to fill out and not something to ask someone lightly about).
    Or a job offer letter.

Yeah I think I'd rather go home and do it if I had to, but I don't want to be sitting idle for two months at a time and leave my job here, try and do as much here and then go back...

...IF I get it of course! But you gotta keep everything in mind!

Youll need to do the medical as well though when you are back (blackrock clinic i think is the main place). So you will also need to factor in about a week and a half to get the results of that and then the interview so dont want to cut it too tight.
    Anyway, you need the letter first!!!
    Mine was dated April 18th received around May 25th. So keep checking .......

Yeah I was reading all that, so between being told that you won this lotto (again IF) and the actual interview can be between 4 months to a year later?

Moss, did you have to get a police cert from the US? It states:
    Note: Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.

Interview can be in September (case #0000001) and ends in July the following year.
    For your reference case number around 18500 will mean an interview after the end of March.

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Yeah I was reading all that, so between being told that you won this lotto (again IF) and the actual interview can be between 4 months to a year later?

Moss, did you have to get a police cert from the US? It states:

Yeah i got the one from New York , its called a good conduct check. They just fingerprint you and give you a letter saying you never have been arrested. I brought it to the interview but she said i didnt need it as they would be able to see if i had a record. The irish one is easy to get ( especially if you know the actual Garda in your village or town) but can take a bit of time to come.

Personally if you need it quickly id go to a local councillor or td and ask them to speed up the process. They would be able to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rosh1

Hello

I won a Green card through the Diversity Lottery and i have to be in the US by the end of September 2010. I went through the same interview procedures as MossNyc. I did not like the impersonal glass screen and speaking through a microphone. They just asked for various documents but asked no questions. I was expecting an intensive interview but it was nothing like I was expecting.

I have never been to the US and i am not sure whether to go or not. I do not know anybody there except for some relations I have never seen.

I really do want to go but I am worried about the job situation. I have some savings but worried about wasting it if I cannot get a job in US.
    In Ireland I am a qualified civil engineer and worked as a site engineer on residential projects. But I hear construction is very bad in US at the moment and I may not be able to find a good job. I may have to start from scratch as a graduate and some of them work for free initially.

I am a hard worker and would be prepared to do labouring, supermarket work, fast food outlets etc initially to get started But with employment so high in the US are even these sort of jobs available.

I hear a lot of doom and gloom but what is the real situation on the ground?
    Are basic jobs available labouring, fast food outlets, hotel work etc.
    Is construction really bad? I can do labouring if necessary no problem and semi skilled in a few trades.
    What would be the good areas to go to?
    is there signs of recovery?

I would appreciate any help.

Well done. nice one.

But to be honest it will be extremely tough for you or even anyone coming over.

Firstly, you need to pick some places to start your job search and really the only and best way to search for a job from Ireland and even more so over here is by contacts you know in the industry but sounds like that may be hard for you.

The poxy thing for engineers here is you will have to go for the a PE certification which will take years but before that you need to take the FE exam which is an absolute bastard of one. I just did mine yesterday. So glad it is over and out of the way. I'm an electrical engineer and hated having to learn biology, chemistry, statics, thermodynamics, mechanical and materials, economics etc just for one damn stupid exam. Just hope i pass it now and then it will be onto the PE exam next year.
    Anyway to get into a consultancy firm that will have to be your goal.

You should at least activate the greencard and buy yourself more time to decide.

Realistically you would need at least 15k with you and you really should buy health insurance for when you come over until you get a job that gives it (or makes it cheaper) but the jobs you seem to look for wont. It is very expensive.

From what i can see there are few jobs here - well any skilled jobs anyway. And its very difficult to find some because they all just want you to fill out an application on their website and attach the CV and its sent off to a black hole never to be heard from again. There is generally nobody to talk to and it is the exact same for the recruitment companies. They are useless compared to the ones in Ireland.
    Not trying to scare but just showing you what ive seen and know. You could find that you get a job easily. I did but person Im with got a two month contract job after nine months looking and it will be back to searching in one month.

But I think Ireland is far more screwed than here.

A job in engineering will give you a higher salary than Ireland. A job laboring will be far far less money than Ireland. So dont give up on your engineering yet or at the start. it is the best way for you do your best over here and you should at least to try to stick with it.

So whats your thoughts and where do you think you would like to go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rosh1

Well done. nice one.

But to be honest it will be extremely tough for you or even anyone coming over.

Firstly, you need to pick some places to start your job search and really the only and best way to search for a job from Ireland and even more so over here is by contacts you know in the industry but sounds like that may be hard for you.

The poxy thing for engineers here is you will have to go for the a PE certification which will take years but before that you need to take the FE exam which is an absolute bastard of one. I just did mine yesterday. So glad it is over and out of the way. I'm an electrical engineer and hated having to learn biology, chemistry, statics, thermodynamics, mechanical and materials, economics etc just for one damn stupid exam. Just hope i pass it now and then it will be onto the PE exam next year.
    Anyway to get into a consultancy firm that will have to be your goal.

You should at least activate the greencard and buy yourself more time to decide.

Realistically you would need at least 15k with you and you really should buy health insurance for when you come over until you get a job that gives it (or makes it cheaper) but the jobs you seem to look for wont. It is very expensive.

From what i can see there are few jobs here - well any skilled jobs anyway. And its very difficult to find some because they all just want you to fill out an application on their website and attach the CV and its sent off to a black hole never to be heard from again. There is generally nobody to talk to and it is the exact same for the recruitment companies. They are useless compared to the ones in Ireland.
    Not trying to scare but just showing you what ive seen and know. You could find that you get a job easily. I did but person Im with got a two month contract job after nine months looking and it will be back to searching in one month.

But I think Ireland is far more screwed than here.

A job in engineering will give you a higher salary than Ireland. A job laboring will be far far less money than Ireland. So dont give up on your engineering yet or at the start. it is the best way for you do your best over here and you should at least to try to stick with it.

So whats your thoughts and where do you think you would like to go to?

I was thinking about going to the west coast but I would go where ever there is work. Everyone seems to head for the east coast.
    I am looking through the internet at the moment to see where the best opportunities would be. The internet is all I have at the moment. the best way to getting a job really is through contacts.

I was thinking if I do not get a job quick enough in the construction side that I could go into an engineers office or architects office and be a draughtmans as I can use Autocad. I might get my foot in the door that way and go from there. I never realised i would have to do more exams. i thought i was finished with exams.

The low wage I would do only to tide me over and not eat into my savings. It would only be a short term option.

I still believe that the US would have better opportunities than Ireland now and the future. Even though they say things are improving in Ireland I don't see Ireland improving in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

rosh1 wrote: »
    I have never been to the US and i am not sure whether to go or not. I do not know anybody there except for some relations I have never seen.

Why would someone apply to the DV lotto without actually having their heart set on going?! Like you might as well go over before September to at least avail of the golden opportunity that it is.

Now is your opportunity to meet those relations you've never seen. Try get any job that will pay money through them, settle in the country and get to know your grounds and surroundings and the way Americans do things and then figure out what you can do here long-term.

be prepared though to drop a lot of your savings in one go.
    You may find it hard to open a bank account and you most likely will not be able to get a credit card or even secured credit card or store card for about 6 months or until you build credit history.
    you wont be able to get a loan so if you need a car you would be paying full cash for it and then then insurance. Or you could rent. I had to rent for the first 5 months then had to pay for my car outright when i had to buy one.
    It will be like being a 16 year old again and you will need to get a driving license where you will have to do the written exam and then the full driving test.
    You wont be able to buy a car or get insurance until you have a license.
    Thing is though you will need to know what state you will be settling in before you go for this and will need a permanent address for your application - same for your application for social security number which you will have to go and apply for about 8 days after you arrive in the states. That can take about a month to receive too. So you wont be able to do much with regards a job without it and the greencard will take nearly two months to arrive too.
    There is lots to do initially in getting set up and established. No credit history is really restrictive.
    And you will have to submit each new address to USCIS.

To maximise your time before you have to move you could do you activation trip two weeks before the six months (september) limit is up then you would have six months from that point to move over. So basically it can be another 11 months or so before you have to be over there.
    You will need to be there long enough though on the activation trip to go apply for your social security number (ticking the box to get a SSN in the DS230 form does not get you one automatically - you will have to apply for it).

I've had a bank account open for about 9 months now and I have been refused a credit card purely based on the fact that I haven't had a bank account open long enough. Once you become a resident in a state you cannot drive without a drivers license from that state, no matter where your current license is from.

If you're not driving, investigate into public transport, the big cities are impossible to get around without it.

You may not be able to rent in certain places, they require references from the US from previous landlords which may be impossible. There are some places that will take you without it, if you make friends you can put them down as some sort of reference. Check out craigslist for someone who already has a lease and is renting out a room, its easier than renting a whole apartment.

Look out for an irish community too where ever you go, they can be quite helpful.

And once you get a credit card they wont leave you the hell alone.
    I get at least 3 junk letters from capital one each week. Pissing me off. I have one credit card, I dont want ten.
    I actually dont even want a credit card. My irish one does me fine and the mastercard debit cards can be used everywhere fine.
    Only reason to get a credit card is for you to have a bill and to pay it off and to build up credit score.

Be careful of companies over here. They are all trying to scam you and nothing is straight forward genuine. And that goes for everything.

Bank fees are also ridiculous. I got a good account opened through someone i know so dont pay fees but am meant to be paying $25 a month maintenance fees for the account.

I even told the bank: heres $2000, now give me a loan for $2000 and I will pay it off so i can have a bill to build my credit history. They said no - even though i was giving them the money up front to guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I've had a bank account open for about 9 months now and I have been refused a credit card purely based on the fact that I haven't had a bank account open long enough.

I haven't investigated credit cards but I have 2 bank accounts both of which issued VISA Debit cards which work exactly the same as a credit card except you are spending your own money. Personally I like the fact that my debit cards have a PIN, credit card security is pretty lax over here. We had to buy our car with cash but we actually got a mortgage fairly easily. I think it was worth the banks while doing an international credit report as they stand to make a lot of money on a mortgage (we did have to put 25% down as well). We were in our new house less than 10 weeks after arriving in the US.
    Once you become a resident in a state you cannot drive without a drivers license from that state, no matter where your current license is from.
    States do give you some lead time to get a licence, I think California is only 10 days but Texas is 90. But check with your insurance company, even though Texas law is 90 they would only give us 30 days.

• Advertisement

I haven't investigated credit cards but I have 2 bank accounts both of which issued VISA Debit cards which work exactly the same as a credit card except you are spending your own money. Personally I like the fact that my debit cards have a PIN, credit card security is pretty lax over here. We had to buy our car with cash but we actually got a mortgage fairly easily. I think it was worth the banks while doing an international credit report as they stand to make a lot of money on a mortgage (we did have to put 25% down as well). We were in our new house less than 10 weeks after arriving in the US.

But the problem with that is you arent building your credit history. The debit cards are the best but it does nothing to improve your rating. You dont get a bill so dont have anything to pay.
    The main reason to get a credit card is to improve credit score.
    And the practice of paying off the card before the bill date like in ireland would not be wise. You need to owe money at the bill date and should be no more than 20% of the credit limit and then therefore a bill is generated and then you pay it. If you pay it off no bill is generated so it counts for nothing to your credit history.
    I use my debit card all the time and throw a few transactions on the credit card just for the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

But the problem with that is you arent building your credit history. The debit cards are the best but it does nothing to improve your rating. You dont get a bill so dont have anything to pay.
    The main reason to get a credit card is to improve credit score.
    And the practice of paying off the card before the bill date like in ireland would not be wise. You need to owe money at the bill date and should be no more than 20% of the credit limit and then therefore a bill is generated and then you pay it. If you pay it off no bill is generated so it counts for nothing to your credit history.
    I use my debit card all the time and throw a few transactions on the credit card just for the bill.

True - but I have a mortgage which is building my credit score.

Which is also why someone would want to build the credit score in the first place so your all set anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Ruu wrote: »
    I remember giving my visa packet to the immigration officer, it was the same guy every time I flew to the US over the last few years! When I handed it to him he said "ah one lucky visa applicant, be right back". He went into a room and then I was promptly called to sign and get finger printed. The guard also yelled over to my wife "this is his last chance, no going back now!". He was dead on, he said to make sure she knew he was joking, shook my hand and welcomed me to the United States. This was preclearing through Dublin. :)

I'll be going through all this in a couple of weeks when i move to indy but i have one question that i can't find an answer to, so maybe someone with your experience can shed light on the situation?

I'm flying out of dublin on a flight that will do pre-clearance there, does this mean that there will be nothing to be done at the airport when i land in chicago?

i.e. Is it like travelling on the visa waiver where you go through immigration in dublin so you just skip the ques and go straight to baggage claim when you land in the US?

I'll be going through all this in a couple of weeks when i move to indy but i have one question that i can't find an answer to, so maybe someone with your experience can shed light on the situation?

I'm flying out of dublin on a flight that will do pre-clearance there, does this mean that there will be nothing to be done at the airport when i land in chicago?

i.e. Is it like travelling on the visa waiver where you go through immigration in dublin so you just skip the ques and go straight to baggage claim when you land in the US?

Yes.
    You will also not be filling out the green form anymore but will need fill out the white one for customs.
    You will need to allow extra time in dublin. Once you get to the immigration section they will take your envelope and bring you to a room in that area where the gates are downstair - just opposite the immigration desks. You will wait a while. They will fingerprint you - old style with the ink and all (not electronic). Feels very criminal in fact.
    Oh, I needed one (or maybe it was two) 2"x2" photos for there and then. I did not know this before and was told about it and read no mention of it but luckily i had some spare in my carry on bag. So bring some just in case.

Then they send you on your way and away you go to the gate and just wait to board.

Also, not all flights from dublin pre-emmigrate in Dublin. Some do it now in the States which will be a major hassle but hopefully you have one booked that will.

Although, you are going to Indiana which probably means Chicago and for Chicago Immigration is in the US side.

Here is a list of flights i found that do immigration in the US:
    American Airlines to Chicago
    Aer Lingus to Dulles
    Aer Lingus to Chicago
    Aer Lingus to San Francisco
    Aer Lingus to Orlando
    Aer Lingus Flight 109 to JFK
    Continental Airlines Flight 127 to Newark
    US Airways to Philadelphia

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I'm very jealous, congrats to everyone heading over, hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get a visa in the next few years or so.

Yes.
    You will also not be filling out the green form anymore but will need fill out the white one for customs.
    You will need to allow extra time in dublin. Once you get to the immigration section they will take your envelope and bring you to a room in that area where the gates are downstair - just opposite the immigration desks. You will wait a while. They will fingerprint you - old style with the ink and all (not electronic). Feels very criminal in fact.
    Oh, I needed one (or maybe it was two) 2"x2" photos for there and then. I did not know this before and was told about it and read no mention of it but luckily i had some spare in my carry on bag. So bring some just in case.

Then they send you on your way and away you go to the gate and just wait to board.

Also, not all flights from dublin pre-emmigrate in Dublin. Some do it now in the States which will be a major hassle but hopefully you have one booked that will.

Although, you are going to Indiana which probably means Chicago and for Chicago Immigration is in the US side.

Here is a list of flights i found that do immigration in the US:
    American Airlines to Chicago
    Aer Lingus to Dulles
    Aer Lingus to Chicago
    Aer Lingus to San Francisco
    Aer Lingus to Orlando
    Aer Lingus Flight 109 to JFK
    Continental Airlines Flight 127 to Newark
    US Airways to Philadelphia

I flew on the same flight to chicago back in october and we did immigration in dublin, hopefully it will be the same this time round......when we arrived in chicago last october there were at least 500 people queuing for passport checks. As soon as I get finished with the whole thing I'll put up a summary for board users, i'm not going via the diversity lottery, i was lucky enough to find an american girl

Its exactly as NOBODY said, The only thing is i wasn't asked for any photos as they have the tiny web cams that take your photo when you are going through.I agree with everyone here to do the processing in Ireland if you can. Ive been back over for a month now and still waiting on the physical card to be sent to me. Let us know how you get on when you land

i sure will.....just starting to fret over the fact that my visa and passport haven't arrived yet, when i did the interview they said that it was all approved and i'd get the stuff in the post in a week to 10 days......so i though it was a safe bet to book my flight 4 weeks after the interview date......flight is now 11 days away and no visa.:(

• Advertisement

i sure will.....just starting to fret over the fact that my visa and passport haven't arrived yet, when i did the interview they said that it was all approved and i'd get the stuff in the post in a week to 10 days......so i though it was a safe bet to book my flight 4 weeks after the interview date......flight is now 11 days away and no visa.:(

Id give them a ring if i was you just to make sure it was sent . I got mine about a week after although they could be busy with J1s and stuff at the moment. although once i had to wait nearly a month to get my passport back with a h1b in it as there was a screw up with something

here is a link with a phone number
    http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Ireland&cty=Dublin

Let us know how you get on

Advertisement