Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple/Plum Trees Lack of Fruit

• 17-07-2012 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

Was out in garden yesterday checking my fruit trees and found hardly any fruit on my trees. I have two Bramley apple trees which had no fruit at all and my Victoria plum tree had the grand total of one plumb.

Has anyone else the same problem with lack of fruit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

yep, same here - I think one tree has one apple. Currently flowers on pear and plum in a relatives garden, in mid-July! Everything's messed up this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

all my apples trees have apples growing well at this stage,trees with good shelter seem to have the best crop

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

I planted four 5 foot apple trees bare root this spring. Should I be expecting any fruit this year ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hve dozens of p;ums at the moment but most of them seem to have some sort of scaly flaw on the..wondering will i get any usuable fruit.

Apple tree is a complete disaster,one apple this year,six or so last year and about 40 the previous season...mauybe i should be pruning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I'd be asking how many bees and butterflies have ye seen this year in the garden.
    Not enough sunlight effects the trees and bugger all insects about means what flowers there are don't get pollinated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Sharrow wrote: »
    I'd be asking how many bees and butterflies have ye seen this year in the garden.
    Not enough sunlight effects the trees and bugger all insects about means what flowers there are don't get pollinated.

Actually your post has made me realise I have not seen any bees and not many butterflies this year in the garden. Normally the bees would be busy attacking my fruit by now.

I have always had fruit in the past and the trees flowered this year, so I think what you said about pollination must be the reason in my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Lots of fruit trees got caught with late frosts which damaged the buds/flowers. This kills off the fruit yield, it explains why sheltered trees probably faired better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

My Pear is fruiting well. My cherry has a poor crop and the ones left are splitting (as are my (late) strawberries). Of my two apple trees, one has shed all its fruit in the last two months, the other shed about half.

The splitting this I think is due to periods of heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I have 10 apple and 2 pear trees all fruitless
    They were in full bloom and the night of the Super moon May 5th, all the blossoms were all killed.
    As for bees if garden is full of dandelions, honey bees will go for them before apples trees as they are nectar hungry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Has anyone ever heard of pear and plum flowering in July though? They're not new trees, and have fruited in past years. It's weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭johndoe99

you can pollinate them yourself with a cotton bud, transfer the pollen from one flower to another, been doing this for several years with great success, you can't rely on the bees with the crap weather we've been having past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

lucylu wrote: »
    As for bees if garden is full of dandelions, honey bees will go for them before apples trees as they are nectar hungry..

No dandelions in this garden. My OH's idea of gardening is to sit on ride-on lawnmower, with little Yorkshire Terrier on lap for the ride.This being his sole contribution to any gardening that needs doing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Oldtree

father in laws plum doing fab loads of fruit, sheltered.

My apples not doing as well as previous years, sheltered, pruned mostly correctly. Lots of flowers and pollinators earlier in the year. Fruit just didnt form possible from very late frost damage.

Advertisement